The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateyes... same director... he also did a piece on the lumiere and company film...

It's pretty brutal from what I remember... in a kind of unforgiving way too.  It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I'd give it a hmmm... an 8?  Maybe... how much does the emotional torture bothers you?  Because that's a big factor.

It depends on whether it's Cape Fear-style "I'm gonna do the worst things possible to you physically, but I'm gonna tell you all about it first," or purely "psychological." I can handle psychological more easily.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

i'll go watch it now and tell you.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazi'll go watch it now and tell you.

Sounds good. My breath is bated.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

bonanzataz

i just want to... die. that movie was...

i don't even know.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazi just want to... die. that movie was...

i don't even know.

Once you've recovered, could you be a bit more explicit so I'll know whether your speechlessness is a recommendation or a warning? Or both?

bonanzataz

if you think you can handle it, i say go for it. it's one of the most interesting movies i've seen in a long while. it succeeds in making the audience feel like a piece of shit. haneke is a demented genius.

i actually felt the most tense part was in the first 10 minutes where there is absolutely no violence or any threat of something crazy happening. who would have ever thought that a guy asking for eggs without any trick shots or scary music could be so fucking creepy? i almost turned it off after this scene. if you make it past that point, haneke succeeds in getting you to stay the whole time... it's like he reels in his audience with that scene. i'm usually able to take things well in movies and not get scared by scary movies, my hands were covering my face the entire time. it's the first time in maybe 10 years that a movie has given me nightmares.

i'm sorry, i'm lying. the last movie that gave me nightmares was curse of the jade scorpion. no joke.

USTopGun47

I just rented Dancer In the Dark by Lars Von Trier... and right now the banner while I'm writing this post is Dancer In the Dark.  Coincidence?  Anyways... it was great...so dark and sad.  It manages to turn into a Greek tragedy and maintain a degree of realness at the same time, which is very important.  It was very disturbing, but more emotional... not so draining as something like Requiem/Salo.  I also rented Buffalo 66...but the tape won't play so I have to return it for another... :(  Dreamlife of Angels was another powerful and sad film.  Again, more emotionally draining.  A lot has been copied from it too[/i]
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI finally rented Rules of Attraction. Didn't like it, but liked it more than I thought I would. Handling of the movie is well done, but sympathy or care where it is asked to be put in place in mostly non existent. Shannyn Sossamon, of however you spell her name, is really hot. I could watch a movie alone for her being in it. Also, the sequence that shows Victor's European trip is amazing, and alone could hold up as a very good short film of sorts. I honestly never had seen a sequence like that before in any movie and this was even more rewarding. It's sad though, because there was talent in the filmmaking, but a need to rely on things that are not really important nor interesting.

~rougerum

Well said. Sossamon is a beauty alright, and I want to see her in better roles.  As for Dawson playing Bateman, for the first time I liked his acting. He plays demented/intense very well. Not quite sure what they were going for in the warping of narrative though....I found it more of a distraction than an artifice to help the movie along. Kinda like "Hey neeto, look what we're doing! Betcha never seen this before!"
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Gold Trumpet

Its weird though with Sossamon, because its easy for someone in the movies to be really hot, but with her, I am more just drawn to her instead of being turned on by her looks. She looks really unique and has such a charm about the way she naturally is made my experience of going to the theatres to see 40 Days and 40 Nights actually enjoyable. I've seen everything she's done with the exception of seeing A Knight's Tale all the way through. I've seen most of the movie in parts via repeated HBO airings but someday soon I think I will watch it all from beginning to start. I also hope she gets better roles, but she is worthwhile even in these roles.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I love the rewind part of 'Funny Games.' I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it. Haneke is something else. I haven't seen Code Unknown yet, but Piano Teacher was probably the most shocking and uncomfortable thing I'd seen up until Irreversible earlier this year. I'm looking forward to his Cannes entry this year -- I believe it's a post apocalyptic film?

pookiethecat

i really really want to see the piano teacher and this thread as made me interested in funny games too.  salo looks interesting.  but i think it's pretty hard to find.  my local blockbuster doesn't carry it, methinks.

yeah...i'm going through a dark period in life where sick twisted movies seem appealing.  

the other day, i rented the Killing Fields.  EXCELLENT movie.  the ending could have been terribly schmaltzy, yet it felt earned becuase the relationship between these two men was so touching.  great depiction of the cambodian genocide too...

and i rented seven samurai but i don't know if i'm up to it.

i recently rented in the mood for love and i couldn't get through it.  it bored the absolute SHIT out of me.  i felt like a philistine for not liking it
i wanna lick 'em.

modage

my girlfriend suggested we rent 8 WOMEN which we had seen a preview for in the theaters and looked like it could be amusing, so we rented that.  personally, i hated it.  hated hated hated.  how many times do we have to see this CLUE scenario before it becomes old?  (or is this like a clever, "we're too clever to be ripping this off, so we're like being too smart for this genre" type of thing?)  the whole movie was cliche'd and terrible.  FIRST of all, (if it isnt too late for that), its based on a play.  as a rule of thumb i do not like movies based on plays. (there are exceptions, but rules of thumb are good guides).  there are SOOOO MANY things you can do with 2 hours.  so (most of the time) if youre spending 2 hours in a film inside of one room/house, it feels like a waste of my time.  you can show infinite amounts of information in 2 hours. (see CITY OF GOD for recent example of making the most of your running time).  if its a play, make it a play!  if its a movie, make it a movie.  dont make a play a movie, unless you really plan on "adapting" it and taking full advantage of the cinematic possiblities you have.  (Billy Wilder and Alfred Hitchcock were able to make plays into movies succesfully),  whereas this just felt like they basically just set up cameras to film the play.  what was the point of this movie anyway?  finding out a few of them were lesbians and theyre all having affairs with the dead guy?  and what was with the musical interludes?!?  the colors were cute at first, but quickly became obnoxious.  did i mention i hated this movie?  apologies for the rant, but thats 4 bucks and 2 hours i can never have back.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I loved '8 Women!' It's all meant to be a joke...and how could you not enjoy seeing all those great (and beautiful) actresses? Oh well.  I know a few other people who don't like it either. But I think it's hilarious.

jmj

Quote from: USTopGun47Dreamlife of Angels was another powerful and sad film.  Again, more emotionally draining.  A lot has been copied from it too[/i]

Finally watched "Dreamlife of Angels" last night.  I loved it.  Bouchez is a damn fine actress.  It took me a while to realize she's the same person who played Jeremy Davies' girlfriend in CQ.  After that I thought she was an even finer actress.  Anyway, I thought the movie had great characters that were highly identifiable with someone everybody's known at some point.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

modage

finally watched BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF.  hated it.  really deeply hated this pile of shit.  it looks like the french just figured out shutter speeds!  wow, changing to slow-motion in the middle of a shot.  cool the first few times, but after a half hour of this, it kind of got old.  was there really any need for this to be 2 1/2 hours?  besides that the entire first hour and a 1/2 had like ZERO action.  WHICH, wouldnt have been so bad had it actually been developing a STORY or characters that you care about. i really dont know WHAT they were thinking. the idea was cool, the structure was horrific.  if it was going to drag on for so long, shouldnt there atleast be a payoff that we didnt figure out like an hour ago?  you couldnt pay me to watch this again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.