The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

ono

You may know this already, but I figure I'd post it anyway.

http://www.techstuff.ca/archives/488.html

This was my search:

http://tinyurl.com/5u7cz

I remembered seeing that Wal-Mart and Blockbuster are both trying to compete with Netflix.  Of course, Wal-Mart and Blockbuster are both spawns of Satan, and Netflix seriously needs to consider opening up in Canada.  But the things some people do for movies, right?  You wanna deal with one of those two devils, you should be able to soon enough.

Oh, and: http://onlinedvdrentalguide.ca and another one I stumbled on: http://www.moviesforme.ca/?REFERER=affiliate238

matt35mm

Wow.  //www.zip.ca is a virtual copy of Netflix!  It seems to be about as good as Netflix, so that's good news for Canadians.

cine

Quote from: matt35mmWow.  //www.zip.ca is a virtual copy of Netflix!  It seems to be about as good as Netflix, so that's good news for Canadians.
Whoa.. I wanna be your poof.

Bethie

Oh, Audrey darling, I adore you. This film made me yell at my TV. I got nervous.

:!:
who likes movies anyway

modage

yeah, thats a very tense film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

Quote from: themodernage02yeah, thats a very tense film.

That's for sure.

Uh huh yeah

I absolutely loved this film. I enjoyed it moreso than any other film that I have recently seen. Certain parts had me laughing out loud~[/list]
who likes movies anyway

samsong

My third Fassbinder film (1. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul 2. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant), and was a bit frustrated afterwards when I found out the title on the Fantoma DVD is somewhat of a misnomer - it's In a Year of 13 Moons, not With 13 Moons.  From what I can tell this has to be his most complex and unusual film.  He sort of abandons the more theatrical approach to cinema evident in Fear Eats the Soul and Petra, which is in no way a bad thing as it results in one of the best films I've ever seen - emotionally honest, cathartic, and completely unconventional in its approach in terms of style and narrative.  It's morbidly depressing, quite possibly the saddest film I've ever seen, but it's Fassbinder - I'd expect no less.  Volker Spengler's performance is genius.  Absolutely loved this movie (hence the new avatar pic), as hard as it was to watch.  Fassbinder's quickly becoming one of my very favorite directors.  Time to dig into my recently bought BRD trilogy...

I was never really compelled to see this one until I started visiting this site.  It's a bit pretentious - I'd like to think I have a good tolerance for pretension for the sake of cinema - but is in its entirety an unusually moving and brutally honest film.  Gallo's portrait of a damaged man and the grace he experiences via Christina Ricci is terribly engrossing but ultimately very beautiful, poignant, and poetic.  Definitely looking forward to The Brown Bunny, which is playing here in about two weeks.

Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry is one of the most beautiful, life affirming, poetic films I have ever seen.  Needless to say it's one of my absolute favorite films of all time.  So I approached this one with high expectations and they were met, just not to the degree of Taste of Cherry.  The Wind Will Carry Us - a title I love - is filled with gorgeous but patient imagery, mainly of a car driving through the beautiful vistas of Iran, and is heavily abstract to a point where I was overwhelmed with the symbols and metaphors and so on.  But I think with Kiarostami it's not necessarily about "getting" all of it rather than partaking in the film's inherent sensibility - to slow down and think.  I think that's what I love most about Kiarostami (granted that I've only seen two of his films), the way he slows life down and enlivens the senses by allowing his audience to, on their own will, live by experiencing the film rather than assaulting the audience (which, if done well, is great in itself).  That of course means that his films aren't for everybody, but for me, Kiarostami's work is as exciting and as much a cinematic revelation as my first experience with Bresson (Au Hasard Balthazar during its revival "tour").

bonanzataz

FAAANfuckinTASTIC!!! I enjoyed this one a lot. i always look at the plotlines for jarmusch films and know that i'll like them, but i never get a chance to watch them. i have to see more of his stuff.

i really really enjoyed the first hour of this. after he gets sent to prison for the murder, i didn't like it as much. then the big twist happens and there's that whole hall of mirrors thing. i just wish there was some way they could have come up with something so he never went to trial. i hated all that stuff. i'd have to agree with the cover. 3 1/2 stars.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Weak2ndAct

I used to live in this thread.  Here's the insanity I watched this weekend:

THEY LIVE: Somehow, I managed to see nary a frame of this flick during my childhood.  And it stars Roddy Piper!  How did I miss this (yeah, I loved wrestling as a kid)?  Anyway... HOLY SHIT this movie is cool.  Sure, it's massively underwritten and ludicrous, but when the sunglasses come on... damn, some amazing stuff (those billboards!).  I howled often and loud, and this movie does indeed have one of the best fist fights ever.  How did I miss this?  And the movie's punchline is classic.

MEMORIES OF MURDER: If you like police procedurals and true stories, get this sucker now, this Korean flick is a fuckin' masterpiece.  A blow-by-blow account of the investigation of Korea's first serial killer, specifically how the police were totally ill-equipped to deal with things like forensics, evidence, and human rights (the film is a punishing indictment of how the cops literally tortured people to get confessions).  It's frequently tense, and not dull for a second.  Also, amusingly enough, it features what is my new favorite interrogation technique: the flying dropkick!

GOZU: Okay, this movie is pretty much unreviewable.  If you're Miike fanatic like me, you'll love it.  Lynch fans might also get a kick out of it too.  But don't expect to make any sense out of this movie.  It's insane.  Though I've read an interesting comparison to the Orpheus myth-- which actually makes huge sense in hindsight and demands a second viewing for me at least.  You will never look at soup ladels the same way ever again.

samsong

Quote from: Weak2ndActMEMORIES OF MURDER
GOZU

seems like you've been watching a lot of asian films lately.  have you seen Oasis?

modage

Quote from: Weak2ndActTHEY LIVE.
yeah i loved that movie as a kid, although i probably havent seen it in 10 years.  you'll notice we have a couple of they live banners i believe.  and thats Rowdy Roddy Piper to you!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: samsongseems like you've been watching a lot of asian films lately.  have you seen Oasis?
Oh yeah, like 75% of the movies I end up seeing these days are Asian flicks.  I'm obsessed.  

I haven't seen Oasis yet.  It's on my list of things to see very soon, along with Slimidio, Taegukgi, PTU, Dolls (the only Kitano flick I haven't seen yet), the Yakuza Papers, other Fruit Chan movies, Alive... the list is endless.

Fernando

Quote from: Weak2ndActDolls (the only Kitano flick I haven't seen yet)

It's the only one I've seen, and it's great, beautifully shot, you'll love it when you see it.

hedwig

Quote from: bonanzataz
FAAANfuckinTASTIC!!! I enjoyed this one a lot. i always look at the plotlines for jarmusch films and know that i'll like them, but i never get a chance to watch them. i have to see more of his stuff..

I saw this over the weekend and I must agree with you, it's great. Made me want to seek out the recordings Elvis did for Sun studio. Buscemi, Strummer, Masatoshi Nagase, and Yoki Kudo were all wonderful and perfect in their roles but to me, the real star of this film is Screamin' Jay Hawkins. When he cracks that joke about Cinque Lee's hair and then bursts into that wonderful Screamin'Jay'Hawkins laughter of his -- that was movie magic.

I netflixed Lady of Shanghai and Songs from the Second Floor, as well. Have yet to watch them.

Weak2ndAct

K STREET: Soderbergh/Clooney's much maligned and never watched show about politics *gasp* is actually pretty great.  It's simple, subtle, and engrossing.  The show's best episodes though, reveal it's greatest faults-- episodes 4 and 8 (or is it 9?) are flashbacks and ditch the 'issue of the week' for straight-up plot turns and development of the leads.  These episodes are the most dramatic, the most fascinating, and seemingly the most scripted (or I guess plotted).  Perhaps if the show had pulled back on the issues a bit, it would have been more successful.  Who knows.  And curse those bastards for the finale: they knew they show was dead in the water, and they end on a major cliffhanger.  Bastards.  And oh yeah, who knew a dry erase board could yield such a magnificent twist?

SHOGUN ASSASSIN: Is there a decent, proper release of this title?  The British import I rented was a fucking abortion of a dvd.  Scope compressed/stretched to like 1.66:1 and we're forced to listen to bad English dub, no option for Japanese.  BAH!  Anyhoo, entertaining revenge/samurai flick, loved the 'sword or the ball' scene, what a riot.  If you like your blood spurting deaths, definitely worth a look.

ALIVE: Ryuhei Kitamura, director of the supremely ludicrous and entertaining Versus, serves up a supremely boring and lame sci-fi flick that pretty much takes place in one room.  Guy about to executed in the chair is given an 'out'-- participate in an experiment or die-- and from there the movie gets increasingly confusing and snooze-worthy.  There's talk of a 'foreign object' (read: alien) possessing people and giving them powers.  What are the powers?  To rip off 'The Matrix' apparently... black leather, bullet time, wire-fu... blah blah blah.  I couldn't even finish it.