Enter the Void

Started by New Feeling, January 30, 2009, 01:17:55 PM

Derek

Don't hang out with stoners, don't assume that.

I have a problem with a movie that takes itself far too seriously, like this one does. Interesting effects though.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

So what's your arbitrary limit on how seriously a movie is  allowed to take itself?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Spoilers

I wonder what too serious or too "AAARRRTT" means. Usually, it means the film is extending itself by gravitating toward themes out of its boundaries or making unnecessary allusions. It's the over-confident art film which immediately relates personal squabbles to world events or it's a film which tries to tell the audience how to feel. I don't deny this film has a tonal structure outside the norm, but I don't think the gravitas is too serious. From criticisms I read, this movie is ostracizing the art house establishment too.

In fact, this movie reminds me of the early criticisms 2001: A Space Odyssey got from all the New York film critics who slammed the film for being too hollow or technical. In a simplistic idea, 2001's technical storytelling is about imagining life outside the cosmos of our existence and is about how space flight would really be in experience. For the sake of its simple but engulfing vision, the film deludes down human experience which removes almost every standard filmmaking rule. Enter the Void is about the experience of death in full measure. There is no other vision but the continuous revolving around experiences, remembrances, and trying to find reincarnation.

But, I guess, you could consider that pretentious in its own way. Fine.

diggler

I finally got around to watching this the other day. I was enjoying it and when I thought it was nearing the end I paused it to hit the bathroom and realized I was only 30 minutes in.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Derek on March 20, 2011, 05:15:44 PM
Don't hang out with stoners, don't assume that.

I have a problem with a movie that takes itself far too seriously, like this one does. Interesting effects though.

I'm probably too defensive about this movie since it's made a lot of recent theater goings pale in comparison, but it seems like you watched this movie with a wall of expectation in your mind.  There is little to nothing conventional about Gaspar Noe films, at least in the sense that he cares so little about appeasing standards.  Being a provocateur doesn't make him good, there are plenty of artistic failures that try really hard for attention by being so obscene or painful for the audience.  In fact, nothing says you HAVE to like Enter The Void.

But I'm concerned that you've dismissed it as stoner bullshit.  Movies can handle drugs without being overly saturated in leaning towards Cheech and Chong audiences.  In fact, this movie handles drugs in a more transcendental sense than most, with recurring themes that operate like echoes in a mind with a life flashing before its eyes.  And this is, of course, a very surface view of the film.

But maybe you're right, art and ideas do tend to bog films down.  They make them too dense to really comprehend, they should be a lot simpler and should function within well tested traditions.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alexandro

Quote from: P on March 20, 2011, 06:17:55 PM
So what's your arbitrary limit on how seriously a movie is  allowed to take itself?

Yes.

My prior statement was about how this film never tries to "pass itself" as art, which was your first accusation. I was expecting you (Derek) to give me an instance of it within the film. You answered with the taking itself too seriously thing, which is just as vague.

What are you talking about, man? This film has as straightforward intentions as there could be. The experience of death. That's it. Should it be more fun, you think? What?

Derek

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You'd think that I'd personally attacked some of you. Unless you had a hand in making this piece of shit, then I'm sorry.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

i asked a legitimate question. i'm not even one of the ppl who is crazy about this movie, i was just perplexed by your criticism.

GT, alexandro and walrus all addressed your comments logically and without personal attacks.. in each case they even attempted to justifiy your position for you by offering their interpretation of what could be meant by "takes itself too seriously".

so i don't think there's any justification for your most recent comment, other than maybe a secret panties fetish, but i suspect it's because your initial post about the movie was just venting and not intended to be taken as a serious critique of the film. in which case, hate on, hater.. hate on..

though i will say that next time you might want to consider writing your thoughts in a diary instead of posting them here where you may be challenged with a real discussion.
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

Has this played in IMAX anywhere? It seems a natural place to watch a film of this kind (like it, or not).

I had a discussion about this with my roommate, as I really think IMAX would add much to the experience of Void. Despite the criticisms, a truly commendable job has been done by Noé in allowing the viewer to perfectly experience the last moments of life, and the first of death, through the eyes and conciousness of another person. This aim or intent would be multiplied significantly if the image were to cover one's field of vision.
I'm thinking about the sound design, too, as it would come into play. Throughout, Oscar's thoughts race thru his head, and these thoughts would become "our thoughts." Perhaps I'm not making myself clear, or maybe it's obvious enough what I'm driving at, but I think it very exciting to have a chance to experience a film like this not only thru the eyes of its protagonist (quite literally), but through his very conciousness.

I'm seeing if I could have this done somewhere in town. A gentleman at the Science Center here has actually given permission to use the Planetarium/Omnisphere as a venue for screenings, and I'll probably take him up on that.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Derek

Quote from: P on March 21, 2011, 12:31:35 PM
i asked a legitimate question. i'm not even one of the ppl who is crazy about this movie, i was just perplexed by your criticism.

GT, alexandro and walrus all addressed your comments logically and without personal attacks.. in each case they even attempted to justifiy your position for you by offering their interpretation of what could be meant by "takes itself too seriously".

so i don't think there's any justification for your most recent comment, other than maybe a secret panties fetish, but i suspect it's because your initial post about the movie was just venting and not intended to be taken as a serious critique of the film. in which case, hate on, hater.. hate on..

though i will say that next time you might want to consider writing your thoughts in a diary instead of posting them here where you may be challenged with a real discussion.

no you didn't. you asked about my arbitrary line...which if is an earnest question i'll wrestle with in my diary.

hating on (which is my perogative?)  i think  has little to no redeeming values... a junkie has a bad/high life and gets reincarnated to do do what? get high again? do it better the next time?

different shit is still shit

Alexandro

well, that's like, your opinion, man.
let me go light up a joint and discuss some IDEAS about death and reincarnation with the stoners I hang out with instead of wasting my time here.

Derek

don't hate, alexandro, it doesn't become you.

Pas

This part of the thread reminds me of the scene in the Fighter when Micky and Amy Adams go to see Belle Époque and some guy behind says: ''The cinematography is supposed to be beautiful!'' and that guy is obviously meant to be a huge cunt. Just the way they dress him up and make him talk you know you're supposed to think he's the worst.

Yet in fact, he really doesn't say anything mean and he actually talks to Micky Ward like a normal human being. He's not like: ''oh but you wouldn't understand ha ha!'' he just seems excited to see that spanish movie.

I hate that anti-intellectualism that is so prevalent in the 21st century. Anything that isn't American Idol or Michael Bay has to defend itself all the time now. In Quebec we have this big network that has ALWAYS at least 1 million people watching it at all times. We are 7 million people here so it's a lot. Sometimes 3 million people watch the most popular stuff. Anyways, this channel is always attacking other channels for trying to be smart. They pride themselves on being stupid. It's really symptomatic of our era.

Derek

Seven million people draining Canada. Stop bitching and separate your useless selves. Keep your maple syrup and lumber.

Pas

I didn't realize you were a troll here  :ponder: