The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Fuck yessss!!! I waited to see this with proper quality and wow. Just... WOW! I may even jerk off at the sight of Sean Penn now.
Si

Pwaybloe

Good grief.  Yes, the trailer looks really good, but all of your reactions are hilariously over the top.

RegularKarate

I almost wish this just stayed a trailer forever.  It's so perfect.

B.C. Long

This almost looks as good as Cowboys and Aliens.

In all seriousness, this looks like the movie to end all movies.

Gold Trumpet

I guess if we're going to start projecting expectations, what makes me most excited by what I see in the trailer is the clear breath of editing elements available to Malick's use.

From Badlands and Days of Heaven to The New World, he has been happy with his paint brush method of sweeping camera shots and elegant composition sight lines. Of course I short change his accomplishments by restricting my identification to those two peaks, but what he has accomplished in the 1970s was only marginally extended upon in his later films. Of course, the main addition in the Thin Red Line is the play on memory and how he wraps the structure around the organic idea of memory. His use is fine, but other filmmakers used first person camera angles and mixed it with distinct look back at earlier events. It's an old trick. The major addition is that Malick is utilizing his style to do it. Makes the film a little more provoking, but still, I felt more could have been done.

In the New World, at the end of the film, when Pocahontas dies, the film wraps up with a wonderful editing soliloquy on her life. An Indian appears in the back of an elegant English room and the film compartmentalizes a lot of different images together (from her life and surrounding) to be a final breath on her life. It was Malick's most inspired moments of filmmaking for me. I want a film that has that level of ambition throughout. With the way he's going to mix mystical elements of death and past, I feel Tree of Life may be ambitious enough for him to challenge the very core of his directing vision.

He's an exhilarating director in that every inch of his films draws me in to care on some level, but I have been a disenchanted viewer because I always wanted him to challenge the lines of his brush strokes more.  The Thin Red Line has a focused development with creating memory. The New World has an inspired finale. I can see him ready to combine his effects for an entire film.

Pas

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on December 15, 2010, 05:05:27 PM
Fuck yessss!!! I waited to see this with proper quality and wow. Just... WOW! I may even jerk off at the sight of Sean Penn now.

oh yeah you think you liked the trailer the most? Since I saw it I jack off at the sight of 50s-dressed kids!

Pubrick

I moved house and i won't have internet for another 10 days.

I miss you freaks but more than anything I miss having a place to pontificate on bullshit no one else cares about.

Haven't seen this trailer yet but it will be the first thing I do when I reconnect with the world.

In the meantime.. I called it.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pas on December 20, 2010, 06:33:07 AM

oh yeah you think you liked the trailer the most? Since I saw it I jack off at the sight of 50s-dressed kids!

I never thought of Malick as a fluid liberation method until I saw this trailer. But you won this round, sir.
Si

Pas

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on December 20, 2010, 01:47:39 PM
Quote from: Pas on December 20, 2010, 06:33:07 AM

I never thought of Malick as a fluid liberation method until I saw this trailer. But you won this round, sir.

Haha no but seriously, that trailer is so awesome it doesn't even make sense.

The scene when the kids dance around while being sprayed with DDT will surely but pretty sweet

Pubrick

is there anywhere i can download the trailer in HD for later viewing?

.mov file should be 161MB according to apple trailer site..

i wanna watch it for the first time on a big ass tv on my birthday (in 2 days).
under the paving stones.

modage

You can download it at Apple
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pwaybloe

You can shoot yourself and see it in heaven (HD).  Or in hell (SD).

Ordet

this is amazing! so inspiring, i've watched it like ten times now and it still makes me choke. i feel like i'm in love.  he's gonna be using his old tricks but he does it like no one else. in a sense he's like the american tarkovsky or if kubrick and tarkovsky had a child it would be malick. the ultimate poet from texas. it also seems like his "end of times" film by which case von trier is also working on his apocalyptic drama. there are images which also remind me of carlos reygadas' silent light. anyway this is wonderful.
were spinning

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ordet on December 22, 2010, 03:54:38 PM
this is amazing! so inspiring, i've watched it like ten times now and it still makes me choke. i feel like i'm in love.  he's gonna be using his old tricks but he does it like no one else. in a sense he's like the american tarkovsky or if kubrick and tarkovsky had a child it would be malick. the ultimate poet from texas. it also seems like his "end of times" film by which case von trier is also working on his apocalyptic drama. there are images which also remind me of carlos reygadas' silent light. anyway this is wonderful.

If Tree of Life is Malick's version of Tarkovsky's Mirror and a poetic deconstructon of his style, I will award him a lot more consideration.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw this link posted, but heard at my theater we were running it before Black Swan.  Black Swan was cool but it was totally overshadowed by this trailer.  I tried to keep from knowing anything about this movie till the trailer and it was an incredible trailer at that.

Oh, cinema... you've done it again.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye