The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on November 03, 2010, 04:56:48 PM
FINALLY SOMETHING!!!

at that link mod posted there's also a synopsis of the film, which has some spoilers.

From the Desk of Terrence Malick....

We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, JACK, one of three brothers.  At first all seems marvelous to the child.  He sees as his mother does with the eyes of his soul.  She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world's way of putting oneself first.  Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims.  The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death.  The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.

From this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part.  When he sees all that has gone into our world's preparation, each thing appears a miracle—precious, incomparable.  Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.

The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family—our first school—the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life's single most important lesson, of unselfish love.

Quote from: Pozer on November 04, 2010, 12:13:29 AM
first of all poster is Spielbergy

secondly since there's

Quote from: Fernando on November 03, 2010, 04:56:48 PM
FINALLY SOMETHING!!!

and something else not long behind (aka) , whatcha say we FINALLY get Malick his own director's chair, hmmmm?
Quote from: Stefen on November 04, 2010, 02:35:31 AM
I would like a Malick forum. It may not be busy, but it's warranted based on status alone. Maybe a Kubrick/Malick forum?

thanks for the great ideas fellas, we've actually talked about the same thing for a while now and a bit of an upgrade has been planned for ages but we've been slack.

this teaser poster and the incredibly spoilerful (yet still not incapable of ruining the experience of watching the movie) explanatory note from Malick has definitely made this a top priority again.

new forums coming soon!
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

Kubrick shares room with no one!

but agreed on giving him a forum, that would be the tits.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pozer

Quote from: P on November 04, 2010, 05:09:26 AM
new forums coming soon!

yabbse-thumbup  : ! :

Quote from: socketlevel on November 04, 2010, 10:08:36 AM
Kubrick shares room with no one!

however, if you were to mesh the icks the caption could read: Still the one. Plus two.

Fernando

Stefen

I've said before that I think Pitt is a terrible actor and a complete dumbass/idiot pothead dolt but I think he picks interesting films and filmmakers to work with and always gets through the cracks of the movies he's in.

This is pretty much the ultimate test.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Supposedly the trailer for this will be attached to all prints of Black Swan this weekend.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

OMG, another reason to hate everyone who will see black swan before I do.

edit:

if true, that's bull shit.

any xixaxer that sees black swan should comment about it, pozer im looking at you.

Stefen

This is bullshit. I watched the cell phone recording of the trailer and wished I didn't.

NOT WORTH IT. JUST WAIT!

What the fuck is Fox Searchlight thinking not putting it up in quicktime and letting it have sex with our eyes and ears?? BIG TIME PHAIL.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

^^ that bad??

in that case I'll sit this one out til there's a decent version, thanks.

Pozer

Quote from: Fernando on December 01, 2010, 03:42:20 PM
any xixaxer that sees black swan should comment about it, pozer im looking at you.

aw, buddy will do my best. tryin to get some real life people to head out to Hollywood to watch it today. real life missus wants nothing to do with it. i havnt wanted to see a trailer attached to a movie more than the actual movie since like Punch-Drunk Love or something.

also Arclight theater screen is a better candidate for cell phone capture  :o  

Ghostboy

samsong

plans to see black swan fell through and i couldn't deal with the trailer existing and not seeing it, so i caved and watched the cell phone bootleg.  yes it's shitty but i was still pretty much blown the fuck away, making it all the more exciting that, even in that condition, the footage is awe-inspiring and the film's potential for greatness exceeds even the lofty expectations of a malick devotee like myself. 

it will be the greatest film ever made. 

my friend called me after seeing black swan and went apeshit about the trailer, adding only as an afterthought at the end that black swan was, "very good, but whatever."

JG

i wasn't even going to see black swan until i heard this teaser would play before it, and so there i was at midnight, even though i had to be up in a few hours. black swan was very good but it was basically the movie that played after the tree of life trailer.

malick seems to be shooting childhood with the same sense of awe and wonder that made that opening sequence of the new world so great. looks like it could be a special film.

Reel

I finally know what all the hype is about. This movie's gonna kick ass