The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

modage

Fox Searchlight Acquires Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life
Source: Fox Searchlight Pictures

Fox Searchlight Pictures Presidents Stephen Gilula and Nancy Utley announced today that the company has acquired U.S. rights from River Road Entertainment to the epic drama The Tree of Life. Written and directed by Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. The film was produced by Bill Pohlad, Sarah Green, Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Grant Hill. Fox Searchlight Pictures will release the film in 2011.

"Terrence Malick has crafted a deeply moving, keenly observed and magisterial film," said Utley and Gilula. "Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and the entire cast's performances are simply amazing. This is a signature film by a signature filmmaker and we are proud to be releasing it."

"Terry Malick has given us another masterpiece that is both profoundly moving and stunningly beautiful," said Pohlad. "And there is no better partner than Fox Searchlight to bring this film to audiences. Their ability to distribute and market independent films with a passion and creativity is incredibly rare in our industry."

From the acclaimed director of such classic films as Badlands, The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven, The Tree of Life is the impressionistic story of a Midwestern family in the 1950's chronicling the journey of the eldest son, Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn), through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years - trying to reconcile the complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt). Jack finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

I Love a Magician

how many people just DYING to see this movie will actually die before it comes out

Fernando

Quote from: modage on September 09, 2010, 11:25:54 AM
Fox Searchlight Pictures will release the film in 2011.

that truly sucks, and if fox wants to do a damn oscar push, it's a wait of more than a year til we see it. fuck!

Quote from: I Love a Magician on September 09, 2010, 11:44:11 AM
how many people just DYING to see this movie will actually die before it comes out

haha, i've thought about that, I hope im not among them.

Pubrick

Quote from: I Love a Magician on September 09, 2010, 11:44:11 AM

As long as it plays at a local beach or camping site, I don't think we'll miss it.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Tictacbk

a friend of a friend actually just saw a screening of this and took this still of it with his cell:

Stefen

HAHAHAH

I knew it had dinosaurs!

Let's all agree that picture isn't real and is just one of Terry's old Texas college football buddies in a suit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

New/Old 'The Tree Of Life' France Release Date Rumor Circulates, Film To Premiere At Berlin Fest?
Source: The Playlist

A new/old rumor is beginning to circulate around the web that Terrence Malick's highly anticipated "The Tree Of Life" is scheduled to hit theaters in France on February 23, 2011. We're not sure why this particular rumor is building steam now; EuropaCorp president Pierre-Ange Le Pogam made the comment regarding the release date last month shortly after Fox Searchlight acquired the film. While the date has been given fresh life thanks to a tweet by Cédric Succivalli aka OnTheCroisette who speculates that if it does hit theaters in late February, a Berlin Film Festival bow is most likely for the premiere, whether that's correct remains to be seen. International dates for the film have been floated since last summer (previously scheduled dates for Australia and the UK can still be found if you dig) but they have pretty much been placeholders as everyone has waited for Malick to finish the film. It also should be noted that on the Europacorp website, "The Tree Of Life" remains listed simply as "Coming Soon." It's more probable that Fox Searchlight and the producers are working with international territories on a rollout that will, most likely, involve the likes of Brad Pitt and Sean Penn stumping for the film. And frankly, while the film may be highly anticipated to Malick fans, enticing a more mainstream audience to a cerebral film about "nature vs. grace" will need its stars talking it up. Particularly in a film where Brad Pitt plays against type. That said, while release dates are still to be ironed out, a Berlin Film Festival premiere is not without precedent. "The Thin Red Line" and "The New World" both premiered at the festival, however, will Fox Searchlight choose to unveil the high profile, star powered film by one of the world's most celebrated directors there, when more prestigious festivals like Cannes are aching for it? As Anne Thompson noted last month, Cannes, Berlin and Sundance are all vying to land the film. So we'll end this story with the one fact we do know: "The Tree Of Life" will hit theaters sometime in 2011.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

'The Tree Of Life' Gets May 27, 2011 Release Date
Cannes Film Festival Premiere Now Likely
Source: ThePlaylist

Ok, mark your calendars, tell your friends you'll be busy that day and prepare. Terrence Malick's long-awaited and highly anticipated "The Tree Of Life" has officially been scheduled with a May 27, 2011 release date.

We were honestly expecting to wait until next fall for this one, but the late spring limited release is an interesting move. Last we heard Berlin, Sundance and Cannes were all battling to land the premiere of the film, but if we had to guess, we think the May release date makes it a no-brainer for a Cannes premiere. Malick doesn't do a lot of press and a Cannes premiere will allow him and the cast to do world press all in one shot, and then have the film hit theaters five days after the festival closes on May 22nd.

Of course, this means that any Oscar considerations are a bit more difficult. The Academy has brutally short memories for films released before September, but if the film is truly a stunner, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. And really, Malick's name alone isn't one that will slip easily from the minds of voters if the film is the cinematic game changer early buzz has built it up to be.

Just as a refresher, "The Tree Of Life" stars Sean Penn, Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain and is a decades-spanning tale about a father/son relationship and also the mysteries of the universes. It also might have dinosaurs (!?). We love you Terry. Can't wait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

great news even if it's a limited release, hmm summer release...well almost by a month, last time a film like this had a similar slot was EWS.

tree would be against films like:
Hangover 2, kung fu panda 2, and the comic movies of the summer, green lantern, cap'n america, etc.

I hope we get a trailer by the end of 2010.

modage

Interview with Jessica Chastain from Movieline...

Tree of Life puts you in a very estimable — and rare — class of talent that's worked with Terrence Malick. Considering you're a researcher, how did you prepare for that experience?
When I heard I had the audition, I watched every single one of Terrence Malick's films in chronological order the day before I went in. He definitely has a style that's all his own, and it definitely put in me in that world. Then I went in to audition, and that was the beginning of this long journey to get the part. He wasn't there, but then afterward — after he saw the tape — I went to Texas to meet him. It was a lot about watching his other films; he loves this very subtle kind of acting that doesn't really feel like acting. It's just being. And for my character... [Pauses] Oh, gosh. I'm trying to figure out how to answer this question without upsetting anyone. I play a very spiritual character, so I spent a lot of time trying to cultivate that aspect of myself. I went to a spiritual retreat and meditated every day for a week. I read a lot. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and looked at a lot of paintings of the Madonna. I watched a lot of old Lauren Bacall films to find a slower way of speaking.

Wow.
Yeah, there's so much.

Yet many actors who've worked with Malick have spoken about no matter how much they prepare, a lot of times it doesn't matter — sometimes to his credit, sometimes not. They could be cut, their characters could be changed... they just don't know what performance will actually make it to the screen. Did you sense a similar ambiguity, especially once shooting began?
I did not get that sense. I'd been auditioning so much, and when Terry called me and offered me the role, only then was I allowed to read the script. He never even gave me scenes before that. So when I read the script, I realized that the character was an important figure. In a way, as soon as I was cast, I began rehearsing with Terrence Malick, which is phenomenal. I'd have weekly phone calls with him; I went to Austin a couple times before we shot. He was the one who suggested looking at painting of the Madonna at the Metropolitan. I went to Kansas; I went to a farm and saw what that life was like. I worked a voice coach. He was involved every step of the way. Even when we were filming, I was there every day throughout the shoot. So I always felt the presence of who this woman is. It's important in the film.

But the one thing that you really don't know is what will make it in the film. You shoot all day when you work with Terry. The only time the camera is not shooting is when they are changing the film — when they're loading the camera. You get two minutes. You shoot four minutes, and then you get two minutes off while they load. And you shoot again. And it just goes like that all day. It's not like you do a scene and there's a "Cut" and then you pick up again. You just go until the film runs out. So you never know what will be in the film. You just try to live your life while you make the film. That's just the way he makes movies; he doesn't stop is life while he makes the movie. He continues. And we all become a family on the set. But also, I think our film is different than films like The Thin Red Line because the cast is much smaller. So... I... [Pauses] Gosh, I'm so sorry. I don't mean to be stuttering so much. I just get nervous when I talk about him! I'm not really supposed to.

I totally understand — he's Terrence Malick! That said, what would happen? Would he call you? Would he e-mail you? We all know him as this reclusive, private figure; is Malick someone who'd just call you up and say, "Jesus, Jessica..."
He's not reclusive. He's an incredibly warm person who's only reclusive to the press. But every person he meets... I mean, when I met Terry, I felt like I met someone who was going to be my friend. And most people I talked to on the set seemed to feel that way.

What about when you met Brad Pitt?

You know, I was actually more intimidated before I met Brad, just because of what Brad Pitt... [Laughs] means. I mean, you think "Brad Pitt," and you think, "He's the biggest movie star alive." So that was more intimidating. But the first day I met him, he showed up on a motorcycle. He didn't have anyone around him. He was by himself. He's incredibly funny and really intelligent. And of course he's very good looking. But I wouldn't have known he was a movie star if I lived in some faraway country and just met him. I would think, "Oh, he's an attractive, funny, intelligent man." He really presents himself like a regular guy. And he really is.

Is that something you emulate as a young, developing actor yourself? That personality and that disposition on the set?
Yeah. For me, it's so important when I'm working to have a real connection with people. I don't understand how it is to be an actor and not have that. Maybe I'm just not good enough, but I can't fake it that way. I can't pretend we're all down-to-earth if I'm working with someone who's crazy. Thank God I've never worked with someone who's crazy; I wouldn't know how to do that. To me, it's so important because this business is so generous with the attention it gives you and the opportunities you get. It's really important for me to be around people who don't take the attention seriously. For me it's not about the attention; it's about the work. Which is probably why, of those nine films I've done, most of them are very small movies with very small budgets but with actors or writers or directors that I really wanted to work with. For me, that's what it's about at the end of the day.

modage

Fernando

FINALLY SOMETHING!!!

at that link mod posted there's also a synopsis of the film, which has some spoilers.

From the Desk of Terrence Malick....

We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, JACK, one of three brothers.  At first all seems marvelous to the child.  He sees as his mother does with the eyes of his soul.  She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world's way of putting oneself first.  Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims.  The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death.  The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.

From this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part.  When he sees all that has gone into our world's preparation, each thing appears a miracle—precious, incomparable.  Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.

The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family—our first school—the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life's single most important lesson, of unselfish love.

Pozer

first of all poster is Spielbergy

secondly since there's

Quote from: Fernando on November 03, 2010, 04:56:48 PM
FINALLY SOMETHING!!!

and something else not long behind (aka) , whatcha say we FINALLY get Malick his own director's chair, hmmmm?

Stefen

I would like a Malick forum. It may not be busy, but it's warranted based on status alone. Maybe a Kubrick/Malick forum?