The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Alexandro

maybe it's because i've seen fantasia a thousand times, but that's always been pretty obvious to me.
that fantasia sequence is the first encounter a lot of children around the world have with a graphic representation of the origin of life on earth, and in all likeness, Malick is one of those children. It would be interesting to know to what extent he is consciously referencing it.

72teeth

Goddammit Fred,
just when you were annoying the shit outta me, totally posting any video, slightly relevant to anything..
you go and post this fuckin thing...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM* YRSELF!  :bravo:

*'redeem' is pushing it, but this is a step in the right direction

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Jeremy Blackman

This is great. I ran across it while rewatching Pedro's Terrence Malick dance video. It's a little Christiany, but so is ToL.

Lottery

I haven't watched this in a quite a while, should catch it again at soon.
I read this interview with Brad Pitt where he was comparing his own beliefs with Malick, ToL has some evidently religious leanings, Malick sees god in nature and science while Brad Pitt can't buy into that.
I'd like to be able to see ToL in two ways, religious vs spiritual (nature and life as a spiritual experience, rather than a distinct relationship with a god). I mean, you'd probably be diverging from the original intent but I think that's just my own belief creeping in.

Alexandro

just rewatched it.
I've never been bothered by the christian optic in this film. And I'm one of those asshole atheists who mocks conservative christians. the film goes beyond that to the heart, to the soul, to the lights illuminating the universe. religion is about that too, I would say, all about that. Malick just knows how to live according to his religion and it shows in his films.

also, jessica chastain's performance brings me to tears.

Drenk

I've never seen a christian optic in it. Not a particular religion, I mean. The movie is about grief and memory and existence itself. When I watch it, I'm amazed by the fact that things fucking exist. The mother talks about God in the sky because she's christian. And her first voice-over, who opens the movie, with her as a child with her father, made me cry. And this is how I feel it, but the mother is then angry against God. Why did he took her child? Like she said, he was in God's hands all the time. Even when he was alive. I loved the church in the movie too; a child alone who walks on the chairs and a father playing music. O.K, I'll shut up and watch the movie again.
Ascension.

Ravi

http://www.wordlessmusic.org/the-tree-of-life-11-18-19-2016/

The Tree Of Life
Screening plus Live Film Score with 100 piece-Orchestra and Choir
November 18-19, 2016

Written and directed by Terrence Malick
Wordless Music Orchestra
Conducted by Ryan McAdams
Robert Fleitz, piano
Jennifer Zetlan, soprano
Music by Bach, Couperin, Mozart, Berlioz, Brahms, Smetana, Mussorgsky, Mahler, Holst, Górecki, Tavener, Giya Kancheli, Barry Guy, and Zbigniew Preisner.
BAM Howard Gilman Opera House (30 Lafayette Ave.)

November 18-19, 2016 at 7:30pm

In November, for two nights only, BAM and Wordless Music present the U.S. live premiere of Terrence Malick's (Badlands, Days of Heaven) THE TREE OF LIFE, with 100 members of the Wordless Music Orchestra and Choir performing to a full screening of Malick's 2011 masterpiece.

Winner of the Palme d'Or at Cannes, this impressionist epic meditates on the whys and hows of the universe, framed within an engaging coming-of-age tale set in 1950s Waco, TX. Featuring brilliant performances by Sean Penn, Brad Pitt, and Jessica Chastain, the film boasts Malick's signature striking imagery and ambitious themes while incorporating a rich range of powerful and iconic music. Including compositions by Berlioz, Mahler, Brahms, Smetana, Zbigniew Preisner, Giya Kancheli, John Tavener, and Henryk Górecki across its two-plus hour running time, the film is as awe-inspiring musically as it is visually and philosophically.

Tickets go on sale via bam.org/thetreeoflife starting Monday, July 25 for BAM members, and Monday, August 1 to the general public.

Ravi

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terrence-malick-tree-of-life-longer-criterion-version-1202807034/

Terrence Malick's 'Tree of Life' Gets Longer Criterion Version
By Peter Debruge

Terrence Malick has secretly been working on an extended version of "The Tree of Life," which will be included by the Criterion Collection as a supplement to an enhanced special-edition Blu-ray and DVD release later this year.

The film, which won the Palme d'Or at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, has grown 50 minutes of new branches — although roots might be a better metaphor, since the additional material focuses primarily on the lives of the O'Brien family (characters played by Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain) and the backstory of Jack (Sean Penn), whose search for meaning in the wake of his brother's death drives a transcendental quest unlike any previously depicted on film.

"Terry doesn't see this as a director's cut," says Criterion president Peter Becker, who insists that the 139-minute theatrical version is the official "director's cut" and remains the centerpiece of the Blu-Ray edition. "It's a fresh view of the film that has a different rhythm and a different balance.

"There's a kind of cloud of myth that surrounds 'The Tree of Life,' that somewhere there's a long-lost five-hour cut that was never released. That's not the case," Becker says. "The film that he presented in Cannes is the film that he wanted to make."

And yet, there could be no ignoring that the film continued to engage Malick even after its release: "These films are very much living things for Terry," Becker says. The director — whose last feature, "Song to Song," takes places in the Austin music scene — identifies strongly with the way musicians create, embracing the organic way their work is allowed to evolve over time. "A song has a life after it's recorded — it is a beginning, not an end for musicians. Nobody expects Bob Dylan to go out on the stage and play the song the same way every night."

Conversations between Becker and Fox Searchlight, which distributed the film theatrically, began as far back as Cannes 2011 about doing a special Criterion home-video release. When it became clear that Malick was interested in revisiting the movie, Criterion took the unprecedented step of financing an alternate version, overseen by Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson.

That meant tracking down palettes of original negatives in order to pull the scenes Malick wanted, scanning everything in 4K, grading the footage with cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki to match the original film, and creating a full sound mix for the additional material. Malick himself dedicated the better part of a year to the project.

Alternate versions are nothing new for Malick or the Criterion Collection (which has released four of the director's films, including a special edition of 2005's "The New World" that includes three "variant versions"). But Becker insists, "We have never undertaken anything this extensive or this challenging, or anything that has taken this long to achieve or required so much effort on the part of pretty much every post-production craft. The only thing we didn't do is go shoot new material," says Becker.

As cinephiles' imaginations race, it's important to note: The expanded 179-minute cut doesn't contain more effects shots, and the epic creation sequence remains untouched. But it restores material that Malick was exploring for the version that was shown in Cannes, including specific events and characters that were referenced only elliptically in the original film. Audiences will get specific insights into Mr. O'Brien's painful upbringing, meet members of Mrs. O'Brien's extended family, and witness a major natural catastrophe that serves as a kind of centerpiece for what Becker has been calling "the new version."

At this stage, no theatrical release is planned. Criterion holds only home-video rights, "but Fox has been very supportive," Becker says, "and we'll see what the audiences demand."

Drenk

Amen. That news transformed me into a basket full of happy puppies. I'm excited. That longer cut has been a dream...
Ascension.

Something Spanish

The Criterion blu is 54% off pre-order on Amazon right now.