The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Pozer

thought i was gonna get trailer of life.

Stefen

I know the wait is always worth it, but come on.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Terrence Malick's 'Tree of Life' Confirmed For A November Release Date

A few rumors have been making the rounds of late regarding Terrence Malick's long-gestating "The Tree of Life" starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn.

One, the film will come out in November and two, the film, might not be ready for Cannes 2010 and might instead hit the fall film festival.

Well, apparently those rumors are on the money or at least half right. Anne Thompson spoke to Apparition's Bob Bearney today, and confirms that indeed, the picture will hit the U.S. in November and, "that doesn't mean it won't be ready for Cannes," Bearney says as has been speculated by many.

Are we reading into that comment too much? To us and what we've heard and been told, as of right now, it seems up in the air whether 'Tree of Life' will be ready in the sense that nothing, not even Cannes, can rush Terrence Malick. It probably won't become clearer until closer to the festival itself and surely, they'd leave a last minute spot available for Malick should a last minute delivery be the case.

Meanwhile, another recent rumor is that the film will have a release date of May 12 in France, but if it's officially coming out in the U.S. in November as confirmed by the guy who runs the distribution company, we highly, highly doubt they'd release it in other parts of the world that far in advance. In fact, we'd bet all the money in the world against it.

Lastly, Christian Bale (who had a role in Malick's 2005 film, "The New World"), Javier Bardem, Rachel McAdams, and Olga Kurylenko are all on board for an untitled romantic drama that Malick will evidently begin filming this fall. If that actually happens (and don't necessarily bet on it) it would probably be the fastest back-to-back projects Malick has ever done. God, we hope it does happen, that cast under Malick sounds tremendous.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

sorry, still no trailer.

Brad Pitt Talks Tree Of Life
Exclusive news on Terrence Malick's next

Terrence Malick's Tree Of Life is rumoured to be featured in the Cannes Film Festival line-up for this year that's set to be announced tomorrow - but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who knows much about the film. That's why we are thrilled to be able to share a few tidbits that Brad Pitt let slip about the film he calls "a bit ambitious", which may enlighten you a little further.

When we asked him if this was a science fiction film (yes, even that is in doubt), Pitt replied, "Well, in a way. It's this little tiny story of a kid growing up in the 50s with a mother who's grace incarnate and a father who's oppressive in nature. So he is negotiating his way through it, defining who he's gonna be when he grows up. And that is juxtaposed with a little, tiny micro-story of the cosmos, from the beginning of the cosmos to the death of the cosmos. So that's where the sci-fi – or the sci-fact – comes in."

Pitt also confirmed that Heath Ledger was originally set for a role in the film. "He was gonna do it at one point, and then he was puling out for one reason or another, and we were involved ["we" meaning Pitt's production company Plan B], so I just stepped in."

And what could he tell us about the famously secretive Malick? "That's he's famously secretive!"

so that would mean there's no 2nd film (voyage of time)? it's incorporated into the movie, either way I cant fucking wait.

Pubrick

wowoww i love hearing anything about this film.

Pitt's description made me laugh cos it didn't clear up jack shit! well actually it did clear something up for me. i think malick is a fan of annie hall (not a big call cos that's like top 5 movies of all time right), but the plot of Tree Of Life sounds exactly like the kind of movie that a young alvy singer would love.. actually it sounds like a movie made out of that one scene in the doctor's office only it's not a comedy.

i'm talking about the scene where a young alvy (growing up in the 40s, so it's close there too) stops doing his homework because the universe is expanding and eventually the universe will end. and his mum is like "you're here in brooklyn. brooklyn is not expanding!" hahaha, Tree of Life is that kids life story told with occasional glimpses of the one pesky fact that never leaves his mind.

but seriously, this film will cause mass enlightenment.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: P on April 14, 2010, 10:37:59 AM
wowoww i love hearing anything about this film.

me too.

this is from some random guy in a forum that claims there was a secret screening in austin, seems to be real and doesn't spoil a thing.

Quote[Malick] screened it to an audience of about thirty, and it's literally 97% done. Our boss was able to see it, and called it the best film of his since "Badlands." Emmanuel Lubezki was in attendance, as was some vfx gurus (one of which was my boss).

It will not make Cannes. The visual effects aren't done, but the footage that we've worked on is near complete. The reason for the delay in post is because of the amount of detail IMAX 70 MM requires. I can assure you that the results are worth the wait.

Our house is referring to [the 70MM IMAX footage] as "Voyage of Time." I don't know if it will be a separate documentary. Terrence has made sure that we work on footage without knowing too much of the plot or reason behind it. It's always about a feeling or an emotion. He is definitely the most interesting director we've had the pleasure of working with, and probably the only who's interacted with the digital artists themselves. He has never settled for results less than immaculate, but is humble and patient about it.

found here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44711

can any of our xixaustinites confirm there was indeed a screening???

Sleepless

If there was I'm hurt that I wasn't invited.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

TCM Festival: Hollywood Visionary Douglas Trumbull Working on Terrence Malick Movie
Source: Vanity Fair

The "Star Gate" sequence from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, designed by Douglas Trumbull.

Hollywood is littered with the bodies of creative people who had a great idea about 10 minutes too early. Douglas Trumbull is one of those people, only he has had about a dozen brilliant ideas that were premature by decades.

The visual effects pioneer who helped Stanley Kubrick realize his ambitious vision for 2001: A Space Odyssey, Trumbull made a rare appearance at the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival in Hollywood in conjunction with a screening of a 70mm print of the science-fiction epic. In a frank, reflective, two-hour discussion, Trumbull confirmed that he worked on a new Terrence Malick film, his first feature credit in 27 years. Trumbull also shared his views on Avatar and showed fascinating clips from a making-of documentary called 2001: Beyond the Infinite.

"I'm tired of talking about 2001," Trumbull confessed to a crowd of about 75 people at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel who had gathered to hear him do just that. While working for Kubrick at age 23, Trumbull was sent on errands into London in the director's Bentley to retrieve objects needed for the ground-breaking effects. His most significant contribution to the film was the psychedelic tunnel of colored light called the Star Gate sequence. After 2001's release in 1968, Trumbull worked on Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner and Star Trek: The Movie, and directed two sci-fi films of his own, 1972's Silent Running and 1983's Brainstorm.

Kubrick wanted 2001 to be a first-person experience about being in space, Trumbull said, and the director designed the film for a 90-foot screen. As a result of his experience on the movie, Trumbull became enthralled by the possibilities of giant screens just as grand movie palaces were giving way to multiplexes. "The palettes for immersive experiences went away right after I got entranced by the whole thing," he said. Nevertheless Trumbull was a hot young commodity in Hollywood after 2001, and he directed the eco-sci fi film Silent Running, starring a young Bruce Dern and a robot that was a clear inspiration for R2-D2. George Lucas tried to hire Trumbull to helm the effects on Star Wars, but Trumbull turned him down. "That would have changed the direction of my life," he said. But I had my own career path. Trumbull went on to create various prescient moviemaking technologies with names like Magicam and Showscan. He worked constantly on immersive, dynamic entertainment experiencesa predecessor to IMAX, 3-D video games, Universal Studios' Back to the Future ride.

It was after directing Brainstorm, a film that was meant to be a debut for the Showscan technique, that Trumbull abruptly left Hollywood. In 1981, with photography nearly finished, star Natalie Wood died before shooting a crucial scene. The picture hung in limbo for two years until Trumbull completed it using body doubles, and without Showscan, which the studio wasnt ready to take a chance on after all. That experience drove me out of this industry, he said. The lawyers, the insurance companies, the creeps. Trumbull moved to Massachusetts, where he has lived for the last 27 years.

The Malick project will be Trumbull's first feature credit since Brainstorm. Malick is working on two films, a long-awaited cosmic family drama starring Brad Pitt called Tree of Life, and an accompanying IMAX movie. Like most who work with the notoriously secretive director, Trumbull was reluctant to discuss the project. But he hinted at a retro style of visual effects: "Terry is a friend," Trumbull said. "He said to me, 'I don't like CG.' I said, 'Why not do it the old way? The way we did it in 2001?'" Trumbull said he also has two modestly priced sci-fi fantasy movies of his own in stages of development. And there is the 2001 documentary, made in partnership with author David Larson, who has spent years digging through the Kubrick Archive in London, unearthing artwork, photographs, and memos. The clips of the documentary Trumbull showed bring back the computer HAL as a character that takes viewers through the artifacts. But Trumbull, for reasons he declined to discuss, is pessimistic about the documentary ever making it to audiences.

Trumbull's tone in the talk varied from awe over the potential of movies as a technological art form to dismay over the reality of Hollywood as a smotherer of innovation and creativity. "I spent my life on the fringes trying to be a normal director," he said. "You do that at your peril. Studios don't want to know that you're a geek." But Trumbull was moved by the recent work of another geek auteur—he called Avatar "a technology-enabled out-of-body experience." Trumbull's work in 2001 heavily influenced James Cameron: the tunnel of light humans pass through to inhabit their avatar bodies owes an obvious debt to the Star Gate sequence. And what Cameron has done with Avatar—create an immersive cinematic experience—is what Douglas Trumbull has been doing his entire career. He was just a few decades early.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Pubrick

interesting.

but i always find production stills pretty useless, they're usually taken from a totally different position and frame than the final footage. so what you get is a nice view of the set decoration and not much else. from this shot i can surmise that i have no idea who those two ppl are. the guy might be spazzing out, and she's saying "just sit down here Billy.. there's this chair and there's that chair.. this chair and that chair... this chair and that chair.." as her hand clutches and releases each chair in turn.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

Is that Brad Pitt? And Terrence Malick? With matching outfits? INSANE  :shock:

squints

This is the absolute best of your sixty-nine posts. Ha.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

picolas

wow.. suddenly the number of malick pictures has DOUBLED. and his head seems to be genuinely bigger than normal heads. i don't think i've ever seen him without a hat.

he can't even fit it behind a folder!

Robyn

Well, I'm not surprised really. Of course he has a enormous head. And it just grows and grows and grows and grows grows and grows.....

Pozer

Quote from: Alexandro on June 15, 2010, 08:26:34 AM
Looks really good and it makes me have a small crush on Sofia Terry. Brad Pwho?