The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

modage

Seeing this Monday I think. Downgrading my excitement to "probably not going to like it."  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

you dont deserve it, Debbie Downer.

modage

Hoping for pleasant surprise?

But let's get real...

Badlands > Days of Heaven > The Thin Red Line > The New World > ...

..so where did we really expect TOL to fall on that scale?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Stefen! I just meant this is not even scheduled to come out EVER in my province! I am actually going in Montreal on May 27th (5 hour drive) because I booked a room on that day a couple weeks ago JUST to go watch Tree of Life. AND IT DOESN'T EVEN COME OUT. Like the kids say: FMFL (fuck my fucking life)

CMBB>TOL is the only valid question at this point

Stefen

Quote from: Pas on May 17, 2011, 05:49:37 PM
Stefen! I just meant this is not even scheduled to come out EVER in my province! I am actually going in Montreal on May 27th (5 hour drive) because I booked a room on that day a couple weeks ago JUST to go watch Tree of Life. AND IT DOESN'T EVEN COME OUT. Like the kids say: FMFL (fuck my fucking life)

CMBB>TOL is the only valid question at this point

Oh, my bad.

Can the moderator who I reported Pas's post to please disregard said reportage?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Pas, I already dug your style. But damn, very nice. I'm in Toronto so I have the luxury. I wish I still had that kind of dedication for cinema. That's love brother.

I did notice that about Montreal. For what is considered the strongest cultural city in Canada, Rep cinemas suck. A good film school friend of mine is from Montreal and he says Toronto is far better.  Even the big theatres have the occasional art film over here.  I'm sure there will be at least 1 IMAX screen with TOL.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

There Will be Blood should not have been so Oscar friendly. If the field is weak, I can see Oscar voters campaigning around a lifetime consideration for Terrance Malick and overhyping this film. It's a coin toss field for some films. And because it is, it should be a shrug for everyone.

Pas

Quote from: socketlevel on May 17, 2011, 06:08:05 PM
Pas, I already dug your style. But damn, very nice. I'm in Toronto so I have the luxury. I wish I still had that kind of dedication for cinema. That's love brother.

I did notice that about Montreal. For what is considered the strongest cultural city in Canada, Rep cinemas suck. A good film school friend of mine is from Montreal and he says Toronto is far better.  Even the big theatres have the occasional art film over here.  I'm sure there will be at least 1 IMAX screen with TOL.

It's the first time it happens to me! You can now understand with the amount of $ I invested in that fucking movie that I better be enthusiastic about it haha

socketlevel

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 17, 2011, 06:34:33 PM
There Will be Blood should not have been so Oscar friendly. If the field is weak, I can see Oscar voters campaigning around a lifetime consideration for Terrance Malick and overhyping this film. It's a coin toss field for some films. And because it is, it should be a shrug for everyone.

yes but there should be some mention to the fact that There Will Be Blood also follows a classic narrative arch. Even though the pacing, subject matter, and style might differ from the norm it did have a linear structure. If TOL has a structure similar to the thin red line then it's in trouble. The thin red line had a war premise going for it, and Malick's return.  if TOL is the fountain-meets-the-thin red line, it's fucked for Oscar nods IMO.
the one last hit that spent you...

matt35mm

Regarding the IMAX thing, I can't see how that's going to happen. There were rumors about it last year (or maybe two years ago), because I think maybe one of the VFX guys said that was the plan. And even then, I think it was regarding "the second movie" that I don't think exists (as far as I can tell, some people working on it thought all the dinosaur stuff was part of a companion IMAX piece? Maybe this was the plan at some point but I haven't heard anything about it recently and it seems like all that stuff was really just for this one movie).

As nice as it would be, I don't see any indication that it'd make any financial sense to put this movie in IMAX theaters, especially not during the summer when all the Harry Potters and Transformers will be taking over the IMAX screens.

The fact that The Tree of Life was partially shot on 60mm (I think?) doesn't matter, since I'm pretty sure The New World also had some 60mm stuff going on.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but I can't see it happening.

Stefen

Quote from: hedwig on January 28, 2009, 11:36:34 PM
this is my current There Will Be Blood/The New World/The Fountain/INLAND EMPIRE/WALL·E/Synecdoche, NY -- the one movie I WANT SO BADLY that it makes me not care about anything else. :|

OBVIOUSLY NOT THAT BAD.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: socketlevel on May 17, 2011, 07:09:09 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 17, 2011, 06:34:33 PM

yes but there should be some mention to the fact that There Will Be Blood also follows a classic narrative arch. Even though the pacing, subject matter, and style might differ from the norm it did have a linear structure. If TOL has a structure similar to the thin red line then it's in trouble. The thin red line had a war premise going for it, and Malick's return.  if TOL is the fountain-meets-the-thin red line, it's fucked for Oscar nods IMO.

Oscar antagonism toward certain kind of films certainly rest on more things than linear structure. There Will be Blood is as much as a bill footer for the classic anti Oscar film as anything done by Malick.

picolas

press conference (watching right now. don't know how spoilerful.)

http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/mediaPlayer/11317.html

Pubrick

Quote from: picolas on May 18, 2011, 01:21:34 AM
press conference (watching right now. don't know how spoilerful.)

http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/mediaPlayer/11317.html

Not very if the summary on the previous page is to be believed, everyone just spent the whole time defending terry not being there. Didn't seem like they talked about the movie at all. Dumb jerks.
under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: modage on May 17, 2011, 05:43:46 PM
Hoping for pleasant surprise?

But let's get real...

Badlands > Days of Heaven > The Thin Red Line > The New World > ...

..so where did we really expect TOL to fall on that scale?

Well, your scale sucks.  That's all.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."