The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

matt35mm

Wow, that's a really sucky release. A slow roll out to around 100 screens over a month in like 20 states? I thought Fox Searchlight was going to be more aggressive.

socketlevel

After reading that thin red line article, I'd love to see the other script he wrote at the same time. The one the producer compared to the exorcist malick style.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

so I guess it's not coming out as soon as I thought  :(  

yet its expected to sweep the Oscars next year? Oh well, I guess The Hurt Locker didn't make it to the mulitplexes either.

JG

So the 1st screenings in nyc are not on imax?

Jeremy Blackman

Nice, I'm in the 6/3 bracket. But it definitely won't be IMAX.

Reel

I'll probably have to wait until this shit gets nominated for oscars until I get to see it.

Pas

I can't wait to never see it!

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Reelist on May 17, 2011, 02:19:08 PM
yet its expected to sweep the Oscars next year?

according to who? I only expect it will sweep here, but not anywhere else.

if this gets nominated at all it'll be for best DP, and probably wont win. although with 10 best movies who knows, but seeing all those negative reviews I can see the oscar ppl not caring abour it.

matt35mm

Quote from: Fernando on May 17, 2011, 03:56:45 PM
Quote from: Reelist on May 17, 2011, 02:19:08 PM
yet its expected to sweep the Oscars next year?

according to who? I only expect it will sweep here, but not anywhere else.

if this gets nominated at all it'll be for best DP, and probably wont win. although with 10 best movies who knows, but seeing all those negative reviews I can see the oscar ppl not caring abour it.

Yeah. Malick's stuff is not Oscar material at all. It'll get a Cinematography nod but not win, and a token Best Picture nomination just because they have to find 10 things to nominate.

Reel

Ok, I guess you guys are right. you see what the hype on this board is doing? I'm actually convinced there will be no contenders with this come Oscar time. Which in my mind, there won't be. What else do you think can really fuck with this, that you know about? IDk, fuck the oscars, but if it helps me get this seen, me likey.

polkablues

I can't wait to find out what this year's The King's Speech is going to be.
My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

Quote from: Reelist on May 17, 2011, 04:21:00 PM
Ok, I guess you guys are right. you see what the hype on this board is doing? I'm actually convinced there will be no contenders with this come Oscar time. Which in my mind, there won't be. What else do you think can really fuck with this, that you know about? IDk, fuck the oscars, but if it helps me get this seen, me likey.

it has nothing to do with contenders, it has everything to do with matching tastes. I'm guessing there will be very little contenders in my mind. Also, I'm not saying it won't be nominated for an Oscar, because the thin red line was. But really, if XIXAX hype is worthy of litmus test status to the tastes of the Academy, then yes it will be nominated... highly doubtful; you gotta separate this site from Hollywood. I don't say that with pretentious pride, it's just a fact.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Damnit Reelist. You're acting like a gotdamn Oscaria Subtitlus.

No way this wins any oscars. Probably won't even get nominated. And that's a good thing. The oscars are always a sign of overrated movies. Only awards that matter are the xixax awards.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

It's like, you come to know this little guy during the gestation period, and all you want is to see him grow up and get into a good school and be valedictorian. Then after he wins all the accolades you really think he's a douche and you wish he just spent his time skipping class to smoke weed and fuck chicks.