The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on April 28, 2011, 06:47:03 AM
Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2011, 06:40:39 AM
Quote from: Pubrick on April 27, 2011, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on April 27, 2011, 04:37:49 PM
I like that this new cover exists. I hope people get to know it and feel like it's safe to bring their family to the movie. The Gospel According to St. Matthew has a colorized DVD version which has a crap Hallmark-esque cover too. It is advertised to families so these people review it on Amazon and get pissed off about how unfamily the movie is. If Tree of Life can inspire similar revulsion, all the better.

That's dumb. Why would you want that?

The film will be hated by idiots already without the need for further encouragement or hope for it.

there's sill the odd chance of enlightenment. Someone who goes into the movie thinking this is actually a good poster and comes out altered. Maybe.

yeah but that's not what GT was hoping for.

he wants the wrong audience to foolishly go into this movie and actively HATE malick afterwards.

what the fuck does that achieve? from his defence i gather he thinks it would be some kind of... amusing troll job? that's a smug position to take. in reality what it achieves is it encourages the dumbest loudest idiots to popularise this movie as the worst movie of the century. AT BEST.

i mean, whatever, of course,  it's GT. he trolls. that's to be expected but his short sighted wish is just about the dumbest, most smug, useless and downright idiotic thing i've heard someone say about a movie in a long time.. it really sheds light on what kind of moviegoer he is.

Wait, Pubes is berating someone with hyperbole and overblown insults over a small matter? Haha, who would have thought it. Talk to someone who is actually impressed with your dumb ass. For the rest of the people who can hear an explanation, I don't make serious hedge over people liking or hating a Tree of Life. It happened with The Gospel According to St. Matthew and the responses on Amazon were funny. The poster here reminded me of that bad studio ploy so I jumped three steps and imagined Tree of Life being advertised to a specific group of people and it getting similar responses. If you want to read more into it, amuse yourself. I don't care.

Pas

Quote from: Reelist on April 28, 2011, 12:45:36 PM
word, nothing causes enlightenment...

Unless you are talking about the specific choice of word here (wheter it is the word ''cause'' or ''enlightenment'' that is the problem, I don't know), I disagree that nothing can cause/bring/whatever you want to call it ''enlightenment'' (or whatever you want to call it)

What I mean is that this could very well be a Magnolia-type movie that people, especially teens, who see it become aware of a whole new world. The world of good cinema.

I hate it when someones thinks a movie is above a certain crowd. I mean, it's only cinema, not the most complicated form of art there is. My favorite, yes, but is watching really ''hard'' movies THAT hard? I think not. Reading a hard book is 1000x more challenging.

So how un-mainstream can a movie starring Brad Pitt and taking place in 50s america be? My guess is : not much.  Tree of Life will appeal to a large crowd and will be awesome. It will won tons of awards. You can place money on a dual Penn-Pitt nomination for best actor in the Oscars. The best movie is in the bag already (it is KINDA oscar-baitish after all).

It will be inspiring and great and everyone's gonna love it. DEFINITELY not a ''Gospel to St. Matthew'' type of deal.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2011, 04:00:49 PMSo how un-mainstream can a movie starring Brad Pitt and taking place in 50s america be? My guess is : not much.

That's kind of what I'm getting at...

Pas

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 28, 2011, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2011, 04:00:49 PMSo how un-mainstream can a movie starring Brad Pitt and taking place in 50s america be? My guess is : not much.

That's kind of what I'm getting at...

You bring a good debate point: Can anything mainstream be revolutionary? Does everything great have to be revolutionary?

Stefen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 28, 2011, 12:23:21 PM
Is it wrong to suggest that Xixax is possibly maybe overhyping this movie? I mean, it looks really really good, but... when you start talking about expecting the movie to cause enlightenment, I think caution should be advised...

Anyone who says Tree of Life will cause enlightenment (was it me? it was me wasn't it?) is just using hyperbole to get their point across that this movie has the chance to be something special. And it does. Malick has never steered us wrong before, and I don't see how he would start now. Everything that we've seen about this has been awe inspiring. Am I the only one who watched all the clips on the two ways through life site? The visual effects alone are something to be excited about.

It's been awhile since I have been this excited about a movie. It used to happen ALL THE TIME when I was younger (who here can't relate to this?), but the last 5 years or so it doesn't happen very often. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie on the first showing available. It's been years, but I'll probably do it for this.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Good post. It was me btw!

At this point I can't wonder if it will be great, I just wonder if it will better than CMBB or not.

My gf told me 10 minutes ago: it looks like a really smart Forrest Gump.........  :shock:

Jeremy Blackman

I should be more specific. All the evidence does point to this being a great film. Malick knows what he's doing and has obviously put a lot of work into this. However, the movie could be 5-10% of the wonderful abstract stuff, and people seem to be expecting 75%. Maybe someone who's read the script or whatever knows better.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2011, 05:13:32 PM
Anyone who says Tree of Life will cause enlightenment (was it me? it was me wasn't it?)...

nope

Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2011, 05:16:11 PM
Good post. It was me btw!

liar!

Quote from: Pubrick on April 14, 2010, 10:37:59 AM
this film will cause mass enlightenment.

Stefen

Quote from: Pas on April 28, 2011, 05:16:11 PMMy gf told me 10 minutes ago: it looks like a really smart Forrest Gump.........  :shock:

:yabbse-angry:

She should be hanged from the TREE OF DEATH!

That was mean, I'm sorry. I just really wanted to make a Tree of Death joke. Why couldn't it have been some Joe Shmoe at the urinal next to you who said that instead of your significant other?  :yabbse-cry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Pas

matt35mm

I think this movie might open up a third way through life that heretofore didn't exist.

Not to over-hype it or anything.

The Perineum Falcon

I've heard this movie is SO good that Jesus is coming back early just to see it first!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

abuck1220

ugh, limited release only early on for this. local theater said they probably wouldn't get it until july.

Stefen

I was at Hooters this weekend watching UFC 129 and I was talking to someone about this movie and as soon as I mentioned the title, I swear this happened, some giant juicehead with a goatee smacked me upside the head and told me "Terrence Malick sucks, fag!" then smashed a beer can on his forehead and jumped out a window.

What the? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

Anyways, here's a clip...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/04/tree-life-brad-pitt-clip/#more-36380