The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on March 28, 2011, 03:11:35 PM

this is a brilliant poster.

the movie has already begun.. the first poster plays perfectly against this one. it's like.. here's a baby foot, what of it? yeah.. the places it'll go, the world it is born into, the journey of life being constantly renewed/reset/reborn.. and then now BAM.. this is the whole movie, what of it? yeah, there's so many amazing images we couldn't even choose one.. the entire journey captured in moments that give you a sense of the things you'll see..

and it makes sense. within the poster there are various visuals motifs.. one of them is this low angle infinite horizon shot. the walk into the sunset (or is it sunrise?) under the title is probably the most iconic example and it recurs in the shots which have been highlighted in the trailer as purposely reminiscent.. those shot from the back looking towards the distance.. but it also recurs in these shots taken from below the actors, eg. the frames containing the names Sean and Jessica.. and two spots above Sean.. (and more.. like row 11 column 2)..  this angle is reversed in a few other shots such as the two window views (fifth row, 4th and 5th from the bottom, under "malick")..

i guess it's more interesting to think about the few shots that DONT display this effect.. a few close ups and medium shots.. but no i think they are examples of the effect being obscured momentarily. i think the result of this constant perspective is to give the impression that there is no up or down, beginning or end, that in this story physical orientation itself is an illusion.. above and below are all playing out on the same plane.. just as penn's character is consumed with thoughts from the past in the present.. various events in time are also playing out on top of each other.. the shots in space must therefore play within this motif.. they automatically fall into infinite perspective since they are on the grandest scale possible.. the mere vision of a star or a planet is beyond a horizon..  its limit lies in the far distance of the universe where time and space disappear completely (or are constantly being born?).

malick wants us to become familiar with these images. they should flicker in and out of our memories.. they should be internalised and then experienced again externally.. there's more to say about this poster (and not to mention stefen's kirstie alley confession  :shock: ) but i'll leave it here for now.. i can't wait to watch the rest of this movie.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Ghostboy

Also, there's a dinosaur in there.

Stefen

Where? Thought I saw a Triceratops in there, but it turned out to be Jessica Chastains big ole sweet ass.

EDIT: THERE! I SEE IT! IN THE MIDDLE!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. I'm going to watch every clip.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Alright, watched them all on the moms side.

CAPSULES...

#1 - Dogs are fighting. This is cool to see. They're going at it. Straight throwing fists. Mark Wahlberg will see this then want to play a dog in his next movie.
#2 - There's water here. Kids, stuffed animals, water. Pleasure Island after a tsunami, obviously.
#3 - Brad Pitt showing his co-star why it was dumb for Soderbergh to snub him for the part of Liberace in favor of Mike Douglas.
#4 - Sean Penn gets to the end of the scavenger hunt that Robin Wright created for him so he can find his million dollar wedding ring.
#5 - I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE.
#6 - Knock knock, who's there? Me, when I turned 10 then aged 15 years while Malick was editing my first movie. Get me a beer.
#7 - This may be the most amazing thing I have ever seen on film. Ever. Malick using actual special effects. This blew my mind.
#8 - Perfect introduction to the fathers side. Pitts gonna pull it off.
#9 - This was the worst. Skip it.
#10 - I remember this from the trailer, but it's longer. Only Malick could pull this off.

I'll try and do the Fathers side next.

So I take it there's going to be a Voyage of Time type thing at some point in this? Seeing Malick use visual effects on this is making me lose my mind. I don't think I could anticipate a film as much as I'm anticipating this one. Last movie I anticipated this much was Punch-Drunk Love.

Reel

Quote from: Stefen on April 09, 2011, 05:10:48 AM

#1 - Dogs are fighting. This is cool to see. They're going at it. Straight throwing fists. Mark Wahlberg will see this then want to play a dog in his next movie.

lol, you overexagerrate so much, they're just playing!

SeanMalloy

http://twowaysthroughlife.tumblr.com/

Official Tumblr for the film.  A link was up on Fox Searchlight.  This will probably kick in as the release date nears. 
"Maybe that's their breeding ground."
"Only one way to find out."

Pozer

this movie really couldnt have come at a more perfect time in my life. ol Poz is having a lil Pozer boyzer come june of the 1st (psssh, no such thing as KIDXAX). it's as if He held out for me! judging by those capsules, i will be producing tears of life throughout this.

Stefen

I think I'm more stoked about Malick using visual effects than anything else. Some of the shots in those short clips reminded me of 2001. Just so calculated, slow-moving and breathtakingly beautiful.

Stefen

Remember years ago when we were all giddy about the possibility of dinosaurs happening in this? Well, it's been confirmed for awhile. It's happening for sure.

Robyn

Quote from: Stefen on April 22, 2011, 03:41:36 AM

can't wait to hear that dinosaurs voice over in this film