The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Bethie

This film is the only thing I have in my life to look forward to
who likes movies anyway

SiliasRuby

Bethie, what about the love of your life? Have you found him or her yet? And any aspirations, dreams? What about any upcoming DVD's? What do I (or us) have to do to cheer you up gorgeous?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bethie on March 04, 2009, 12:54:03 AM
This film is the only thing I have in my life to look forward to

And the 2009 Xixax Awards!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

siliasruby gives wet, sloppy kisses. is it true? don't tell me.

bethie, that's a terrible attitude to have.. seriously: a new pearl jam album was just announced. you have at least that and The Tree of Life to keep you from committing suicide. once the year's over, you're on your own. sorry.

all "jokes" aside, 2009 belongs to the Malick. i'm not gonna overhype it for myself but basically i'm anticipating the cinematic equivalent of the titular tree.

(i know you'll want to edit this post, hedwig, but we're not gonna do it, you FUCK.
Y'KNOW WHY? OF COURSE YOU DO BECAUSE I DO I AM YOUARE ME HEDWHAHA!!!)

modage

Is The Second Terrence Malick 'Tree Of Life' Film Called, 'Voyage Of Time'?
Source: The Playlist

By now we've all obviously heard that Terrence Malick's "Tree Of Life," has grown into two films. One will be a drama starring Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain (pictured) and the second will be an a panoramic and extensive natural history segment/ IMAX movie that features dinosaurs and depicts, "the birth and death of the universe."

But apparently the second film is now called, "The Voyage of Time." Google searches bring up many references (with photos too) and an Awards Daily commenter from Austin that says "I can confirm that Malick is working on a parallel project entitled 'Voyage of Time.' "

This certainly rings true as we also talked to a source in Austin -- where Malick has a home -- working on the project during SXSW who told us similar information, adding that reshoots were currently taking place on 'Life' that week (whether they were with the principal actors was unknown) and that the film would likely not appear at Cannes -- as was rumored -- because the picture is about a year away from completion and maybe a year and half away total. Our sources also told us they had not heard of any third film.

More proof, managing creative director of Wildscreen Festival Nigel Ashcroft's bio used to say, "Currently Nigel is working on 2 major projects with legendary film director, Terrence Malick. As well as producing an extensive natural history segment for Malick's latest feature film, The Tree of Life starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, they are making an Imax film entitled The Voyage of Time. Both are due to release at the end of 2009." But now all references to 'Voyage' have been removed.

However, due at the end of 2009? We wonder how old that info is. The source we spoke to was just a week ago. Meanwhile, Malick has also reportedly chosen to shoot parts of his new film on 65mm negatives (the IMAX footage is obvioulsy shot in 70mm).

If you've read this old 1995 article about a Malick project called, "Q," it's quite evident that "Tree Of Life" and "Voyage of Time," are the same project, but heavily evolved and mutated over the years.

http://awood.cl/esp/filmar4.php
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4534&start=75
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

I worked with an editor recently who assisted another editor on the New World, and he said Terrence (or Terry as he called him) doesn't watch serious movies, ever. The reason why I got was a tad vague, but apparently he's afraid watching other serious works would disrupt his process or influence his own choices in a negative way. He prefers to watch silly, bubble-gum stuff (hence his love for Zoolander).

picolas

wasn't herzog the one who loved zoolander? or is it both?

hedwig

i don't know about the herzog, but malick definitely loves zoolander. if i recall, seth rogen found out from david gordon green during the filming of pineapple express.

oh and about this tree of life/voyage of time stuff. JESUS. i can't believe this is happening now and i'm alive for it. this is the type of shit i'm supposed to read about and think "wow, it must have been amazing to be alive when that happened." HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?  :shock: :shock: :shock:

private witt

If somebody told me in 2005 that Indiana, North Carolina, and Ohio would go Blue and help America elect a black man named Hussein Obama I would have said, "Yeah, right...and Terrance Malick's gonna release two films back to back about dinosaurs."
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Fernando

Quote from: Hedwig on March 24, 2009, 02:13:32 AM
oh and about this tree of life/voyage of time stuff. JESUS. i can't believe this is happening now and i'm alive for it. this is the type of shit i'm supposed to read about and think "wow, it must have been amazing to be alive when that happened." HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?  :shock: :shock: :shock:

yeah, it's pretty much a fucking dream, the too good to be true stuff everyone wishes to happen, like that rumor back in the late 90's when Kubrick was making ews and AI back to back, this could be the 2001 of our times.

my only fear is that voyage won't be ready in time for release this year but, if it is...2009 will for sure be the best year in movies since 99...

private witt

Found this from some kids blog dated 2007, made me laugh:

Brad Pitt may end up in a Terrence Malick movie, and I may get a jump on things and just start snoring right now. Malick's movies are good for a nap, but not much else. The New World was about as exciting as being forced to watch Sean Penn talk politics.

Keep at it, slugger.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Pas

I like Malick's style a lot and I own and love 3 of his movies but, correct me if I'm wrong, I read all this talk about : ''this is Malick's decade/century'' and ''I wanna name my son Terrence Malick'' and it seems over-the-top.

Is New World the best movie of the 00s ? Of it's year ? no.
Was the Thin Red Line the best of the nineties? of it's year ? no.
Days of Heaven, tough call but I prefer the Deer Hunter.
I can give him Badlands for 63, but whatever really.

Also barely any of his films are constantly mentioned in people's ''top x ever'' here. Don't give me counterexamples I'm sure some of you did.

So yeah I like Malick a lot and I am excited as fuck about this Tree of Life thing. But I just wanted to point out how it's more fun to love Malick and what he wanted to do than what he's done, no ?

Also ; yes to the person who said this looks like it could be the 2001 of your time. I immediately thought of that too, that very movie. Must be the dinosaurs that reminds us of 2001 and it's apeman.

pete

whatever it is - people love his films enough to say those things, so whether or not if you think they're "the best" of whatever category you wanna put it in is not important. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

picolas

New World won Best Film at the Xaxies.

Pas

yes I know pete, and if someone wants to say he's the best at whatever category or time period I'm really fine with it. But make a case for it because it's not obvious that he's better than Kubrick, Orson Welles whatever etc...