The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Alexandro

Gloria

I watched the cell-phone video footage of the trailer (here: ) and, not gonna lie, it looks beautiful -- but it could fall into pretentiousness really easy (a kind of masturbatory, self-indulgent ominousness -- the "all knowing" movie/filmmaker).  But I'm optimistic.

Stefen

All Malicks movies are masturbatory and self-indulgent tho. That's what's so great about them. This one doesn't seem any different. If I knew nothing about this and saw that trailer I would peg it as a Malick film. Some of the images and cuts gave me chills even with the awful quality. I can't wait for a better version.

Is that music from the original score or something else?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gloria

I'm hoping it's a good movie, not just a good Malick movie.  Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of his movies -- but there's a lot of potential I can see in this trailer.

Just for you Stefen, I did a quick search and the music is Smetana's "The Moldau" (or "Hatikvah," the Israeli national anthem derived from it) (source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/12/tree-of-life-trailer-terrence-malick-brad-pitt-video-images.html)   :yabbse-grin:  It seemed to fit the trailer nicely.

Stefen

Thank you, Gloria.  :) Downloading now.

That review from LA Times was pretty epic. It took longer to read that review of the trailer than it did to actually watch the trailer. Major nerd alarm.  :yabbse-thumbup:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

*for those who watched the bootleg*

looks like this will redefine everything he's done so far/bring it all together. 'nature vs. grace'.. boy/man struggling between those worlds as represented by mah/pah... faaaaaahhh. the underwater teddy... the juxtaposition of tap water and waterfalls... a flashlight and the sun.. is that a meteor near the start? FAHHH too excited. he's got a real thing for alligators as well.

EXISTENCE: THE MOVIE

Stefen

I love the contrast between the graceful mother and the hard as nails father. Polar opposites.

Gold Trumpet

It's a trailer, but considering it's going to get me to drive four hours to see the film on a big screen, it's a pretty god damn good trailer. I just hope when the proper trailer is released in full and more images and info comes out, no one will do any anointing here. Could waste good forum breath on what may be a discussion provoking film.

Bethie

a cell phone quality trailer just made my entire year.
who likes movies anyway

Fernando

Desplat works hard for the money
Composer raises the bar in the industry
By STEVE CHAGOLLAN

With more than 20 credits over the last three years, composer Alexandre Desplat is borrowing a page from the James Brown handbook and threatening to become perhaps the hardest working man in showbiz.
A lunchtime chat with Variety at the Sunset Marquis was one of a series of interviews he participated in last week in Los Angeles; later that evening he would field questions following screenings of "The Ghost Writer" and "The King's Speech" (he also scored "Tamara Drewe" and the latest "Harry Potter").

At the Ghent Film Festival in October, where he won the top two honors at the World Soundtrack Awards for the second year running, he showed up just in time to collect his laurels before having to jet back to his native Paris for work.

When does he realize how much is too much?

"Last week," answers Desplat without a beat. "I was really tired, and decided to take a break for the first time in a year. After 'Harry Potter' I still had three films to go: Another film by Chris Weitz called 'The Gardener,' which will be released next year, as well as two French films."

That break will last only a few weeks before Desplat rolls up he sleeves on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

The pace doesn't seem to bother him; by Desplat's own admission, he lives like a monk: "I wake up early, go to bed late at night, but I have a good five, six hours of sleep; and I'm very focused."

Adds his manager, Robert Urband: "Would I have him continue on the same trajectory as far as number of movies? Probably not. I think it's hard to maintain that and sustain the momentum continually."

Desplat -- tall, slender and raven-haired at 49 -- is doing what he's dreamed of ever since age 6 when he saw "Spartacus," with its classic score by Alex North, on the bigscreen. His calling card is his diversity and his ability to bring a fresh approach to the most time-worn genres.

"If you dream of one day working with Polanski or Terrence Malick or Stephen Frears, what do you do? 'Oh no, I'm a bit tired?' You just do it."

The Malick project, "The Tree of Life," is one of the most anticipated films of 2011, and Desplat began work on it as far back as 2007. As usual in Malick films, the score shares space with classical cues, in this case Ligeti and Berlioz, among others. Desplat also had to work largely without the benefit of images. He describes his contribution as orchestral, meditative and trance-like.

"(Malick) always told me that the music should be like a river flowing through the film," says Desplat, "and that's what I tried to achieve -- something that flows and never stops, very alive and fluid. He just wants you to create something that maybe he hasn't thought about."

modage

From Terrence Malick, the acclaimed director of such classic films as Badlands, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life is the impressionistic story of a Midwestern family in the 1950's. The film follows the life journey of the eldest son, Jack, through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as he tries to reconcile a complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt). Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn) finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith. Through Malick's signature imagery, we see how both brute nature and spiritual grace shape not only our lives as individuals and families, but all life.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thetreeoflife/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Stefen

Trailer of the decade. It's beautiful.

Pozer

Quote from: Stefen on December 15, 2010, 12:32:50 PM
Trailer of the decade. It's beautiful.

:yabbse-thumbup: Poz likes this.

so glad i held out for this.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche