The Dark Knight Rises

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:56 AM

©brad

Tortuga

Well that looked kinda bad to me. A football game with explosions? That's almost as silly and awful as that rave sequence in The Matrix 2. Or maybe even something out of the Schumacher Batman movies.

And what's the deal with referring to comic book stories as "legends"?

Stefen

That bootleg trailer was better than the half dozen other ones that have come out this weekend, but I still wish we could get a non iPhone recorded trailer.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 16, 2011, 12:53:14 PM
Samsong mentioned this in the Mission Impossible thread, but the few minutes they showed at the Imax screening were pretty fucking great except that Bane's voice is completely unintelligible.  It sounds cool, but I can't tell what he's saying... I MAYBE understood a third of what he said.

I won't ruin the clip, but despite not fully understanding WHY everything was happening, it was incredible to watch. 

I mostly agree with this, except to add that the editing felt weirdly choppy.  Is this how the sequence is actually going to play in the movie, or is it supposed to be some sort of abridged version of the scene?

Also, why am I the only person in the world who sees how unrepentantly shitty an actor Aiden Gillen is?  If more people would watch this movie, maybe they would understand where I'm coming from.  It's hyper-emphasized when he's trying to do an American accent, but in general, the guy can't deliver a line in a way that makes him believable as a human being, much less whatever character he's supposed to be playing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

Maybe half the film will be people going, "What?"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-rises-christian-bale-batman-tom-hardy-bane-275489

'The Dark Knight Rises' Faces Big Problem: Audiences Can't Understand Villain
Sources say some at Warner Bros. want Christopher Nolan to change the sound mix in response to complaints that Bane's dialogue is hard to hear. But the filmmaker plans only to alter the sound slightly.
5:00 AM PST 12/20/2011 by Borys Kit

Audience interest in next summer's The Dark Knight Rises is ramping up thanks to Imax screenings of an extended prologue before Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol and the debut online of the film's trailer  Monday.

But despite the warm reception to the footage, Warner Bros. is running into an unexpected problem, one which is causing some handwringing among executives and others who are working on the movie.

Some audience members are grumbling that they can't understand what Bane, the main villain in the final installment of the Christopher Nolan-helmed trilogy, is saying. Bane is a bad guy whose super-strength comes from a drug that he continuously inhales. In the prologue, the character, played by British actor Tom Hardy, is seen with a mask that covers his nose and mouth; his speech is garbled and muffled.
"A fantastic action sequence hurt by the fact that you cannot understand the villain at all," commented one fan on Twitter. Others poked fun at the seven-minute prologue. "The Dark Knight Rises prologue was really great, especially when Bane spoke the soon-to-be-classic line: 'Mmrbl ffrmrff hmrbblfmm,'" wrote one.

Fan websites, whose approval is seen in Hollywood as key to building buzz for big superhero tentpole movies, also have not been kind to the sound in the prologue. "We've seen the Dark Knight Rises prologue -- and yes, Bane really does sound that bad," wrote IO9. The male-oriented site What Would Tyler Durden Do published the prologue's purported script pages to help shed light on the dialogue. The site's comment on fan reaction to the footage: "Most people immediately said two things: 'damn that was bad ass!' and 'I have no idea what the f*** was going on!'"

Sources close to the movie say Warner Bros. is very aware of the sound issue. One source working on the film says he is "scared to death" about "the Bane problem." And with good reason. The last Batman film, 2008's The Dark Knight, grossed more than $1 billion worldwide, and the studio doesn't want anything to tamper with Rise's chances for success.

Sources also say some at Warners would like Nolan to change the sound mix, but the filmmaker, whose autonomy is well-earned (his Inception earned the studio more than $800 million and eight Oscar nominations), has informed executives that he plans only to alter the sound slightly, not to rework it completely.

"Chris wants the audience to catch up and participate rather than push everything at them. He doesn't dumb things down," says one high-level exec, declining to be named. "You've got to pedal faster to keep up."

Nolan said similar things to The Hollywood Reporter at the prologue's unveiling during a press event Dec. 8, explaining that it was OK for a moviegoer not to understand what was said at times, as long as the overall idea was conveyed. The filmmaker is currently editing the movie and won't have a cut to show the studio for at least a couple pf months.

While Warners has supported Nolan's wishes in the past, moviegoer complaints about the character could create pressure to make changes. Or the studio and Nolan can do nothing and hope that fan interest in The Dark Knight Rises outweighs any issues with understanding Bane's dialogue.

Stefen

I hope he doesn't change anything. I thought Bane sounded pretty awesome. The tone of his voice and what not. He's wearing a mask. In the Nolanverse, someone who is wearing a mask would sometimes be difficult to understand.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I'm cool with tweaking the post-processing on the voice to make it a little less muffled, but I'm really glad they're not completely re-dubbing the whole performance, which I'm sure Warner Brothers was pushing for.

Pubrick

I have never been able to understand Kenny.

At least one show will be grateful for the perfect parody potential.

Also Nolan might have to insist the DVD gets released without subtitle options, if he's that keen about getting no one to understand what the dude is saying.
under the paving stones.

Brando

SPOILER:

It looks like the rumors are true. Liam Neeson will be in The Dark Knight Rises. "Production notes for Wrath Of The Titans, in which Neeson plays Zeus, reveal that he is returning, reading: "Neeson next appears in Peter Berg's actioner Battleship and he also will be seen in Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated action thriller The Dark Knight Rises." http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/major-character-returning-for-the-dark-knight-rise/264351
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Ravi

http://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-imax-hour/161138/

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES to Feature More than an Hour of IMAX Footage
by Matt Goldberg    Posted:April 22nd, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Back in November 2010, it was rumored that director Christopher Nolan might shoot all of The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX.  In May 2011, Warner Bros. sent out a press release saying that while not all of the movie would be shot in IMAX, the technology would be used "even more extensively" than it was in The Dark Knight, which contained about 40 minutes of IMAX.  Then in December, Steve spoke with producer Emma Thomas and learned that the movie could feature more than 40 – 50 minutes of IMAX footage.  Today, The Wall Street Journal reports that there will be "more than one hour's worth" of IMAX footage in The Dark Knight Rises.  Aw, yeah.

The Dark Knight Rises opens July 20th.

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, Nolan explained that blockbuster movies can handle the technical requirements of the noisy, 90-pound cameras:

"There was a huge irony that we were told it would be too difficult to shoot a Hollywood movie on IMAX when we had this gigantic camera department, grips, electric, hundreds of people working for us," says the director, whose agreement to direct "The Dark Knight" was contingent on Warner Bros. allowing him to shoot the film in IMAX. "These were cameras that had been to the top of Mount Everest, to the bottom of the ocean and into outer space, but people thought we couldn't make a feature film. It was absurd."

There will be plenty of 3D and IMAX post-converted blockbusters this summer, but movies shot in IMAX, not 3D, is where those blockbusters should be trying to go.  An IMAX movie is absolutely worth the cost of a ticket because it gives the viewer something they'll never be able to get at home.  The Dark Knight Rises won't be entirely in IMAX, but I think we can all live with getting over an hour's worth of the spectacular format.

polkablues

This is great news.  We have one of the best IMAX theaters in the world in Seattle, and the IMAX sequences in Dark Knight and Mission Impossible were some of the most jaw-dropping cinematic experiences I've had. 

Quote from: Ravi on April 22, 2012, 10:30:23 PM
There will be plenty of 3D and IMAX post-converted blockbusters this summer, but movies shot in IMAX, not 3D, is where those blockbusters should be trying to go.  An IMAX movie is absolutely worth the cost of a ticket because it gives the viewer something they'll never be able to get at home.

I agree with every letter of this.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Been awhile since a trailer elicited an emotional response from me, but this one did it. When Catwoman tells Batman, "You don't owe these people any more. You've given them everything." and he responds, "Not everything. Not yet." that was really something considering the events of the past films.

Nolan really did a 180 in the way he presented it. Thought he would play up the action aspects but he really went the opposite and played up the drama.

I'm sure The Avirginers will give the Starcraft II online servers a break for a weekend and do huge business, but it seems there's a new fat nerd movie every weekend and I've been sick and tired of them for years, but I'm glad there's this one still to come and after this I hope the fad dies quick and doesn't return for awhile.