Best Cinematography

Started by Pedro, April 05, 2003, 01:28:30 AM

cowboykurtis

last year at marienbad is breathtaking. wasn't a huge fan of the film -- but appreciate it's attempt.
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

Quote from: cowboykurtislast year at marienbad is breathtaking. wasn't a huge fan of the film -- but appreciate it's attempt.
Excellent choice....I think the film's great really, but not something I watch every weekend.

ratsorizzo

Rogers Deakins and Fargo is amazing to me
So give me a stage, where this BULL here can RAGE, and though I fight I would much rather recite.....that,s entertainment.....that,s entertainment.

MacGuffin

Cinematographers pick their Top 11

Surveyed to name the 10 most influential cinematographers in film history, members of the International Cinematographers Guild came up with 11 (thanks to a tie).

Their choices: Billy Bitzer ("Birth of a Nation"), James Wong Howe ("The Rose Tattoo"), Gregg Toland ("Wuthering Heights"), Freddie Young ("Lawrence of Arabia"), Jordan Cronenweth ("Blade Runner"), Conrad L. Hall ("Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"), Sven Nykvist ("Cries and Whispers"), Vittorio Storaro ("Apocalypse Now"), Haskell Wexler ("Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"), Gordon Willis ("The Godfather") and Vilmos Zsigmond ("The Deer Hunter").
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

fuck that, I go on record right now: best cinematography ever is Storaro's work in The Conformist.

Not debatable. Not even by him or any other of the great dp's. I won't allow it. :wink:

Hehehe. But seriously.... it is...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Um...are these the most influential DPs or the most influential films shot by DPs? I wouldn't argue much with the list, however, I'd add 2001 by Goeffrey Unsworth (also shot Cabaret) to that list. It's more influential than Cronenweth's Blade Runner, in my opinion. When American Cinematographer complied it's best-shot films list a few years ago it was #3 for the second 50 years of cinema, just behind Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

I don't think they were saying the best film they shot, just one of the films they shot. Otherwise, Gregg Toland would have "Citizen Kane". :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Squawks

Cinematograpy in Gattaca made that movie great for me, that and the score (Is there a topic for that?)

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI don't think they were saying the best film they shot, just one of the films they shot. Otherwise, Gregg Toland would have "Citizen Kane". :(

And Gordon Willis would have "Manhattan"
Si

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Labyrinth was awesome with cinematography.  Beautiful shots with hidden pictures and those Escher scenes, the mazes, beautiful!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

blackmamba

I totally agree about Labyrinth.
I think Amelie has some of the most beautiful cinematography.
(Kill Bill was great too.)

kotte

I really appreciate the work of

Vittorio Storaro
I haven't seen much of his work really but what he did in Apocalypse Now puts him high up on my fav. cinematographers list.

Rodrigo Prieto
From the look of his camerawork he's without vanity. He's driven by emotion, something I can relate to. That's where the heart of my interst in films is. Emotions. Here's a good interview with him:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/forum/onFilm/prieto.shtml

Ellen Kuras
Not all of her films are great but I love her work in Eternal Sunshine. If you haven't read her American Cinematographer interview, do it here:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/april04/cover/index.html
What Gondry had her do sounds pretty rough, with a focus puller pulling focus on two cameras at the same time :).
And she did second unit for Prieto on 25th Hour.

Pubrick

Quote from: kotteEllen Kuras
Not all of her films are great but I love her work in Eternal Sunshine. If you haven't read her American Cinematographer interview, do it here:
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/april04/cover/index.html
What Gondry had her do sounds pretty rough, with a focus puller pulling focus on two cameras at the same time :).
And she did second unit for Prieto on 25th Hour.
the fourth picture on the right hand column is wrongly captioned. whoever wrote the thing doesn't know who michel gondry is.

and the last one doesn't make sense at all.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Quote from: Pubrickthe fourth picture on the right hand column is wrongly captioned. whoever wrote the thing doesn't know who michel gondry is.

Yeah, you're right. That's fucking embarrassing.

pete

anthony "dod" mantle and Chris Doyle.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton