Philip Kaufman

Started by aclockworkjj, April 04, 2003, 03:18:57 PM

aclockworkjj

Any one else into Kaufman...I am not a huge fan, but there are a lot of just amazing shots and tricks he does in Quills, Henry & June, and even The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  His visual style is just awesome at times, and he pulls off close-ups with the best of them!  

Not to mention I guess I like his movies cause they are usually dealing with a sexuallity that has not always been seen before.  Or at least he presents it in a different way that most would...I could just be a dirtball though, too.

Anyone else enjoy his films????

Cecil

i thought rising sun and right stuff are okay. quills is great. i havent seen anything else.

aclockworkjj

Check out Henry & June....(first movie to ever recieve an NC-17 rating), it's a total period peice, but I think it's very artsy (so to speak) in it's own sorta way!

Cecil

sounds like my kind of film

Sleuth

Oh Cecil, you just like the fucked up movies
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjCheck out Henry & June....(first movie to ever recieve an NC-17 rating), it's a total period peice, but I think it's very artsy (so to speak) in it's own sorta way!

I had to cross a picket line outside the theater to go see that film because of that whole rating system debate. I don't remember it being a film worth protesting over though.  :yabbse-undecided:

"The Wanderers" on the other hand:  :yabbse-thumbup:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I need to see that. I've only seen Quills, which I really loved. It was so delightfully morbid. That guillotine POV shot is lovely.

rustinglass

the unbearable lightness of being is just great, lewis' best performance in my opinion.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Cecil

well, ive seen both unbearable lightness of being and henry and june, and i must admit that i only find them "okay."

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinI had to cross a picket line outside the theater to go see that film because of that whole rating system debate. I don't remember it being a film worth protesting over though.

Dumb thing is, it's really not all that bad...but at the time....91' I think....it was a huge deal that 2 women kissed.....shit, today women kissing is as trendy as  hollywood divorces and capri pants!!

astralpictures

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake was great. In some ways superior to the original.

©brad

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: MacGuffinI had to cross a picket line outside the theater to go see that film because of that whole rating system debate. I don't remember it being a film worth protesting over though.

Dumb thing is, it's really not all that bad...but at the time....91' I think....it was a huge deal that 2 women kissed.....shit, today women kissing is as trendy as  hollywood divorces and capri pants!!

speaking of capri pants, i think its funny that some of the english guys wear them. if i wore them back home i'd get my ass kicked, rightfully so. guess its one of those things only european guys can get away with. not sure though.

Pubrick

Quote from: cbrad4dspeaking of capri pants,... if i wore them back home i'd get my ass kicked

Quote from: cbrad4drightfully so.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjDumb thing is, it's really not all that bad...but at the time....91' I think....it was a huge deal that 2 women kissed.....shit, today women kissing is as trendy as  hollywood divorces and capri pants!!

Tell the women kissing trend to the audience that was with me when I saw "The Hours".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinTell the women kissing trend to the audience that was with me when I saw "The Hours".

It didn't go over so well?....Well, I really could careless to see a scene like that or not, but with society as well as films, it's just becoming trendy to be bi, or have a lesbo scene (to the point where it's kinda getting old, sure the shock value was great at first, but it's so common now, it gets old quick)...and for the stink that was created over Henry & June, I don't think today people would think anything of it.  Cruel Intentions (As well as let's not forget that remarkable kissing scene in Not Another Teen Movie) felt the need to put a girl-girl kissing scene...gimme a break!  I am not hating....but see my point?