Robert Altman's "The Company"

Started by cine, April 03, 2003, 06:05:11 PM

SoNowThen

If you saw patriotism in this film... I dunno...
it's about as ironic as you can get when dealing with patriotism. I get the feeling Altman thinks it's just a naive and hollow emotion.

Do you know what happens in the end? I don't wanna spoil it for you, but if you do know, think about what happens, and then apply the lyrics to the title song: You may say I ain't free, but it don't worry me.

It's a nation of blind lambs being led to the slaughter (or being unwittingly turned into butchers) by the old red, white, and blue. Cynical, yes... but definitely not patriotic. While I have pretty little sympathy for Altman's politics, I do enjoy his observations about the emptiness of human life in the modern age.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Salma Hayek and James Franco in Altman's Paint
Source: Production Weekly

Salma Hayek and James Franco will star in director Robert Altman's Paint, written by Jeffrey Lewis from a story by Lewis and Altman.

The thriller, set among the denizens of the New York art scene, centers on a murdered painter and his younger fellow-artist brother, played by Franco. Hayek will play a documentary filmmaker drawn into the brothers' private world while working on a project about the late painter.

Filming will take place in New York from February to May. Franco next appears in Altman's The Company, opposite Neve Campbell. Hayek just started filming Brett Ratner's After the Sunset, in which she stars with Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

At first, I thought this thread was for "Robert Altman's Three's Company."

And I hadn't even been drinking....

ono

So I guess the title Ultraviolet is out.  I liked that better than Paint.  Oh well.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

First up is the Robert Altman-directed dance pic The Company on June 1st, starring Scream's Neve Campbell and Malcolm McDowell. Columbia will give this the special edition treatment, complete with an anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, plus an audio commentary with Altman and Campbell, "The Making-of 'The Company'" and "The Passion of Dance" featurettes, extended dance sequences (with play all function) and trailers. Retail be $26.95 worth of taps.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02"The Passion of Dance"

Is that the controversial featurette where Altman beats and tortures Neve Campbell for 2 hours?

Chest Rockwell

I've never even heard of this.  :oops:

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellI've never even heard of this.  :oops:
yeah for all the altman fans on this board you'd think there might've been ONE post between me posting the trailer and the dvd annoucement.

Pedro

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: themodernage02"The Passion of Dance"

Is that the controversial featurette where Altman beats and tortures Neve Campbell for 2 hours?
it's why dvd special features are "unrated"

ono

Know why there weren't any posts between the trailer and the DVD announcement?  CRAPPY distribution.  My town is just NOW (as of Friday-ish, I think) getting The Company.  I may see it this weekend if it's still gonna be there, otherwise I'll have to go faster.  Really is a shame, though.

Ghostboy

It also hasn't really inspired those that DID see it to talk much. I don't know; it wasn't bad, but I sorta liked Nicholas Hytner's 'Center Stage' a whole lot more.

samsong

am I the only person here that loved this movie?  :cry:

cine

I didn't get to see it either. :(