Scene construction

Started by SoNowThen, July 24, 2003, 11:12:39 AM

Alethia

i follow this alot too

The Silver Bullet

I cannot speak for Anderson [nor would I want to, he can speak for himself, dammit], but when I write, I write characters and plots and then usually the themes emerge on their owns, often maybe five pages in or something, but still. Then I know what I'm doing, and I go about fleshing out key ideas and things like that.

Call me crazy, but Magnolia feels different, as though it's a first draft, just written, and written, and written, just poured out onto the page in a very raw form, and then shot. It's all the better for it of course, and it'd be nice to write something like that [I'm trying, I'm trying...just, writing raw is hard].
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

ono

Yeah, as I read the script to Magnolia, I tried to envision it all pouring out chronogically, but I can't see it happen.  I'm not saying it's not possible, but it seems sort of magical or coincidental that it would. And of course, that's one of the themes of Magnolia itself.  The thing is though in the "That Moment" diary, PTA says he hasn't written the WDKK? part yet.  So what does that mean for the script?  In the draft, did he say "cut to gameshow" or something and then fill in the blanks later?

I'd love to write a movie that was like a quick 80 pages of stream of consciousness, but I wouldn't really know if it's good.  200 pages of that kind of thing -- if indeed that's how it happened -- is even more commendable.

AK

Quote from: The Silver BulletCall me crazy, but Magnolia feels different, as though it's a first draft, just written, and written, and written, just poured out onto the page in a very raw form....

i read somewhere PTA wrote this way ....like ,  he sat down and started ...mixing the characters as they were coming to his mind, like a (BIG) stream of conscious...and shoot....(at least with not much revisions)

Admire him for do it like this....i mean....most screenwriters fuck up with less...

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: methere is form................................there is freedom

in form you remind others that they have seen this before

in freedom you reveal the depths of something one may not know or may have forgotten

i write furious uncensored salt in the wound truth
for a moment in the process it is all i know or care about

if the truth i find fills 180 pages then so be it
see truth doesnt have a page count

the raw guts of my love i then shape
to hopefully delight in a reminiscent curious way
often times it shapes itself
the subconscious is a mighty warrior for truthtelling

there will be layers of course
for truth is simple and complex
everchanging yet always the same
a paradox

will i know every related string in the tapestry
sometimes yes and often no
yet if my cloth holds both air and water
laughter and tears
if my cloth endures both fire and earth
criticism and scholarly review
then it is good

in the simplest expression of goodness
it balances discipline and freedom
choice and duty
love and fear
me and you

i bet he re read this post to himself 9 times and said to himself " i , am great"

atticus jones

this is the worst backhanded compliment i have received since moms told me i was a "special" kid...

man...why you gotta give away my cbs page job daytime status?

i worked hard to get that shit...

im trying not to like you but u are so damn unfunny and redundant i think u are winning me over...

its hard being fifteen years old.... living in the valley...give me a break
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Quote from: methis is the worst backhanded compliment i have received since moms told me i was a "special" kid...

:: putts on dear mama by tupac  and  Harmonizes with atticus::

atticus jones

my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Quote from: mepieces at last...

so is we ok now ? no need to go biggie and tupac on one another

atticus jones

cranks up "two less lonely people" by air supply and begins slowly massaging his alguienestolamipantalones until the thang grows to enormous proportions...

i figgered it out...its lyke meat sweeps at the valley ball cabaret...i meaning me being the tits and others meaning them wanting to phuck them towers of truth and justice...sumhow sumwhere a feeding frenzy ensued and i jus kept ducking and dodging the dicks till i finally tired out put my proverbial puss in the mix and let them have their seven seconds of pleasure...

still tho...

i a g as they say

eye a gee or its all good...no matter how u slice it...if the love glove dont fit...u must acquit

i do love air supply quite a lot, i have a picture of the guy with the afro holding a wine glass in his hand at a swanky party, i treasure it amungst my finnest possesions

aight, we chill then

see ya on Palm Canyon Dr maybe

atticus jones

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: methere is form................................there is freedom

in form you remind others that they have seen this before

in freedom you reveal the depths of something one may not know or may have forgotten

i write furious uncensored salt in the wound truth
for a moment in the process it is all i know or care about

if the truth i find fills 180 pages then so be it
see truth doesnt have a page count

the raw guts of my love i then shape
to hopefully delight in a reminiscent curious way
often times it shapes itself
the subconscious is a mighty warrior for truthtelling

there will be layers of course
for truth is simple and complex
everchanging yet always the same
a paradox

will i know every related string in the tapestry
sometimes yes and often no
yet if my cloth holds both air and water
laughter and tears
if my cloth endures both fire and earth
criticism and scholarly review
then it is good

in the simplest expression of goodness
it balances discipline and freedom
choice and duty
love and fear
me and you

i bet he re read this post to himself 9 times and said to himself " i , am great"

i bet he read this post to himself 9 times and said to himself "i will never be that great"

...jus drobbed fly to sey halo to sum old frunds and goot bi two sam old frauds...

little bee p as in pro...big p me as in thee us
self sacrificing god
prometheus
fashioned humans from the earth
gave them fire
and now theyll burn this mutha up
whilst he chained to a bump forever

its all greek to me...

sex act recapt

pants got pulled down
butt we still see dick

cock work fakes oh ver
the pussy gets whipped

me cums in late
and pumps fuck ramen
on yo plate

msg free dis course...still might bust that boiler tho

sick