The Post

Started by wilder, November 08, 2017, 12:34:36 AM

wilder

A thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers – and their very freedom – to help bring long-buried truths to light.

Directed by Steven Spielberg
Release Date - limited on December 22, 2017, wide on January 12, 2018

Gold Trumpet

Had a difficult time watching this trailer. I think the hard nose element of All the President's Men got me to wince a little at the look of gloating nobility of Hanks and Streep all throughout this trailer. The film may be accurate in their awareness of what they were publishing meant and what patriotic duty they took in defending the first amendment but I'm not sure the characters stood in proud glow looking heroic for the camera this much. I worry the sentimentality will be a little more than heavy handed.

Alethia

Much better than I was expecting. Got a bit worried in the opening moments

SPOILER

which consist of questionably staged combat footage with a familiar CCR needle drop to let us know precisely when we are

END SPOILER

but once it picks up, it picks UP, and proceeds at a taut, breakneck, goddamn stirring pace the rest of the way. A great old-fashioned surge of water after the political scorching of 2017. Perhaps once the Trump madness is (god willing) behind us this may not play so well, its themes being worn a bit too unapologetically on its sleeve, but so what? Spielberg could make an exciting movie in a coma. I needed this.

Also, this is some of John Williams' best work in years.

samsong

the dullest of spielberg's patriotic prestige cruise control trilogy.  (to be clear, i consider lincoln peak spielberg and very much enjoyed bridge of spies.)  spielberg cant help but display mastery craft with everything he does, though theres a very forced his girl friday emulation that i found less than compelling.  if this actually played like a howard hawks movie, this mightve been amazing. theres also some ham-fisted "feminist" imagery that literally consists of groups of women swooning as streep walks by.  cmon.  the newspaper procedural passages are stunning.  all the performances are strong, especially streep.  is tracy letts in everything?  im okay with that.  the weakspot is the writing... tony kushner and the coens are hard acts to follow.  and im surprised to see praise for the score.  thought it was pretty bad myself.

C+

Something Spanish

Difficult to not get engrossed in The Post considering the talent on-hand, still I'll take Spotlight and President's Men any day. This was a great story and I couldn't imagine Spielberg fumbling. Agree with samsong regarding the writing, definitely not as strong as Spielberg's previous two films, yet it got the job done. Really liked it up until it got so preachy, had more tell than show. We all know it was made as fast as possible to combat Mr. Fake News, just wish it used a tad more subtlety in the fight. Also, Streep rocked.

ono

Fourth MoviePass adventure.  Boring.  Last good Spielberg film I've seen was Catch Me If You Can -- actually check that, I saw and liked The Terminal, too.  I came in this to see Hanks and Streep together, and was pleasantly surprised to see so many other good actors in this.  Cross and Odenkirk?  And Plemons?  And Brie?  So weird seeing all of them in the same place.  Brie was kind of underused, though to be honest I kind of tuned out of her scenes with Streep even though I'm sure they revealed more of her character.  This thing took a while to get going, and I think the war scenes at the beginning kind of started me off on a bad note.

Indifferent to the John Williams of it all overall, because everything he does sounds the same, and the score was markedly absent most of the time, anyway.  Other criticisms here are valid.  Not enough showing (we don't even get to see most of the arguments and the results of the supreme court hearing?! -- we get the verdict by phone call?!  Did they run out of money?)  And yeah, the feminist imagery at the end was ridiculous.

Anyway, this was boring but necessary.  I went to see it really because my brother, who drinks the 45 koolaid, said this was liberal propaganda.  So I saw it out of spite -- heh.  Really, though, I don't get the mindset of someone who thinks freedom of the press is propaganda.  So I guess why this movie is a boring necessity.

Alexandro

I enjoyed it a lot excepting the dumb Vietnam beginning and the preachy ending. It's very frustrating when a film manages to work, create tension, suspense, humor and drama by being just people talking, just to almost ruin it with pontifications... and that feminist thing everyone is mentioning... wow... that was lame.

But it is really good overall, feels old fashioned in a good way, and all the acting is top of the game. Spielberg really can be a great actor's director with the right material.

Alethia

Quote from: Alexandro on February 10, 2018, 11:13:46 AM
I enjoyed it a lot excepting the dumb Vietnam beginning and the preachy ending. It's very frustrating when a film manages to work, create tension, suspense, humor and drama by being just people talking, just to almost ruin it with pontifications... and that feminist thing everyone is mentioning... wow... that was lame.

Also the George Steinbrenner-esque Nixon shots were a bit strange.

Alexandro

Quote from: eward on February 10, 2018, 11:13:17 PM
Quote from: Alexandro on February 10, 2018, 11:13:46 AM

Also the George Steinbrenner-esque Nixon shots were a bit strange.

oh yes... would have been way better if it were just shots of the white house instead... really odd choice...