Worst Films of 2002

Started by life_boy, January 09, 2003, 06:01:40 AM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: NewtronAnd where the hell is Ecks Vs Sever?

Wasn't that the biggest piece of shit ever?

Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever, one of those movies they had a hard time deciding between 2 titles and just chose to go with both.

Bud_Clay

did Far From Heaven come out before 2003?...if so, then I nominate Far From Heaven as the worst film of 2002....of course, i'm sure, XXX probably, no doubt, earns the title WORST FILM OF THE YEAR..who in their right minds would go see such a thing i ask?.....there are way too many shit films that come out every year that fail to distinguish themselves from one another...so am i right in assuming when we are naming a worst movie of the year, it is a movie that from trailers and posters had some questionable amount of potential?...yep...Far From Heaven wins if so.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Bill Maplewooddid Far From Heaven come out before 2003?...if so, then I nominate Far From Heaven as the worst film of 2002....of course, i'm sure, XXX probably, no doubt, earns the title WORST FILM OF THE YEAR..who in their right minds would go see such a thing i ask?.....there are way too many shit films that come out every year that fail to distinguish themselves from one another...so am i right in assuming when we are naming a worst movie of the year, it is a movie that from trailers and posters had some questionable amount of potential?...yep...Far From Heaven wins if so.

It came out in fall 2002. Now, I didnt really like it, but how can you say it was the worst film? How can you look at it and say "this is a poorly made movie"?

Bud_Clay

When I say "it's the worst movie of the year" it, to me, is the worst movie of the year because I'm not one to put any effort in seeing a movie that actually is the most deserving of the title....I think one of the most rediculous things about the movie was it's score....the score really made you take the movie less seriously than they were wanting you to...I thought at first the score was going to develope, as the characters did, (which would have been sort of interesting)..but no, the score stayed as that horrid 1950's nightmare housewife zombie tune all the way through. The entire story to me felt so pointless and overly familiar. It seemed as if from start to finish we had progressed non, what so ever.
I'm just now remembering "The Ring" as well...so hey....those are my two nominations.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodI think one of the most rediculous things about the movie was it's score....the score really made you take the movie less seriously than they were wanting you to...I thought at first the score was going to develope, as the characters did, (which would have been sort of interesting)..but no, the score stayed as that horrid 1950's nightmare housewife zombie tune all the way through.

That was the point.

QuoteThe entire story to me felt so pointless and overly familiar. It seemed as if from start to finish we had progressed non, what so ever.

So you hated the film because it didn't resolve rasism and gay prejudice?

Not gonna repeat myself, so if you care:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bud_Clay

I understand that that was the point, only to me rather than it working for them it made them look like they didn't know what they were doing.

As for the film resolving racism and gay prejudices I don't see how that has anything to do with a films actual substance...Those are mere topics, the substance is how you express those topics in a film...I felt they used those subjects in a very unintersting, uncreative way.

And again..I completely understand what they were trying to do with the film..."LOOK BENEATH THE SURFACE"...yes, i know...that's why they chose that horrid score to make you wanna shoot yourself in the head.

What if in 40 years they made a film with music similar to a sappy Hollywood film that's about a kid and his dog who likes to help him score home runs....purely as an effect so you have to look beneath the surface...? Because you know how it is...crappy music changes every century.

Ernie

The only film I really hated this past year was The Rules of Attraction. That's my vote for the worst film of the year and it looks like I'm not the only one. It was really disappointing too because I really thought it looked cool and edgy and fun like a few of you guys said. It just ended up being gimmicky though, especially with the whole rewinding effect. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be controversial.

Clockstoppers sucked too but I wasn't really expecting much, it wasn't even my taste, I saw it with my sister. Men In Black II was pretty bad for no reason at all. Spy Kids 2 sucked but I never saw the first one, to give it some slack. It's a kids movie anyway, like you guys said, it's not for film geeks. There was some stuff that I didn't even bother with like XXX and The Two Towers. I know I would have hated them, there's just no point.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69The only film I really hated this past year was The Rules of Attraction. That's my vote for the worst film of the year and it looks like I'm not the only one. It was really disappointing too because I really thought it looked cool and edgy and fun like a few of you guys said. It just ended up being gimmicky though, especially with the whole rewinding effect. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be controversial.

For all those buying the DVD, be warned. From DVDFile's review:

But special mention must be made of what, I'm afraid, will probably be a big selling point for this DVD. The new screen-specific audio commentary by Carrot Top is the most depressing commentary experience I have ever had. Apparently, Avary thought it would be interesting to have Mr. Top watch the movie for the first time and provide his, uh, unique brand of insight. (Perhaps it sounded like a good idea?) Unfortunately, despite trying desperately to be funny (he's not), his wince-inducing misogynistic comments make it clear why he's probably never been laid in his entire life. He's a creep. This is what the "Off" button on your DVD player was made for.

For rest of review, click on pic:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffinApparently, Avary thought it would be interesting to have Mr. Top watch the movie for the first time and provide his, uh, unique brand of insight.

I have lost the little amount of respect I have for Avary. And please stop identifying yourself in the same paragraph as Pulp Fiction.

Bud_Clay

Oh HEY!..I got another bad movie of 2002 to announce..."Igby Goes Down". Even Jeff Goldblum had trouble praising the film on tv talk shows. hahaah, ehhhh..

Cecil

Quote from: ebeaman69It seemed like it was trying too hard to be controversial.

hey i liked RoA alot and i still agree with what you say about the film.

and yes, the carrot top thing was a really really really stupid idea. i remember when he announced it on his site.... he wont do a commentary cause he doesnt want to sound stupid but hell have carrot top do one?

Xixax

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodOh HEY!..I got another bad movie of 2002 to announce..."Igby Goes Down". Even Jeff Goldblum had trouble praising the film on tv talk shows. hahaah, ehhhh..
Oh man, don't tell me that. I have it coming in my Netflix this week and I've got high hopes for it... I'll have to report back in agreement or disagreement.

So many times the previews make movies look great, and then they suck. We'll see...
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ghostboy

I didn't think 'Igby Goes Down' was too bad; it's an enjoyable ninety minutes, plus if you like Amanda Peet you'll get an eyeful here. I'm a big J.D. Salinger fan, and this definitely seemed to be crafted with his style in mind.

I really wanted to like Rules Of Attraction, because Avary's site is enjoyable, but it just wasn't very good. I'd buy the DVD, though, if it had more features. I always like interesting failures. I like the idea of the Carrot Top commentary, but couldn't he have picked a GOOD comedian? I can't believe some people think that redheaded fuck is funny.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: GhostboyI didn't think 'Igby Goes Down' was too bad; it's an enjoyable ninety minutes, plus if you like Amanda Peet you'll get an eyeful here. I'm a big J.D. Salinger fan, and this definitely seemed to be crafted with his style in mind.

Is Amanda Peet that woman the kid & jeff goldblum have sex with? I hope not, I remember thinking whatever woman that was was rather ugly.

I too am a tremendous J.D. Salinger fan. The Catcher In The Rye is my absolute favorite book. Igby Goes Down didnt remind me at all of it either. The entire way through the movie i was begging for the end to come so I could run to the next theater and catch a 2nd viewing of Punch-Drunk Love. I also hated "The Good Girl"...ACTUALLY, you know what? I think I will nominate "The Good Girl" as the absolute worst fucking move of 2002 NO DOUBT. I love John C. Reilly but that movie absolutely sucked beyond the fact that Jennifer Aniston was in it. If I was J.D. Salinger I'd have been offended beyond belief that a character, such as Jake's, was suppose to be Holden Caulfield. Although, I think the part of the movie that trully made you think "What in the hell is the point then?" is the end (of course). I don't want to give anything away for those of you who still plan on seeing it, so I'll leave it at that. It was just a dumb pointless movie to me.

Ghostboy

Yeah, that's Amanda Peet. Some people like her, some people hate her.  I think she's cute, but she generally picks horrible movies.

It's similar to 'Catcher' is that Igby gets kicked out of prep school and all and goes to live on his own in NYC. But it also reminded me a lot of the same elements as in the Glass family stories, and it has the same precocious, clever style that Salinger often used (and self-referentially poked fun at, in 'Franny and Zooey').  Wes Anderson has a similar style, but its far more sincere.

I didn't like The Good Girl, either. But there were a lot of movies in 2002 that were a million times worse.