Rules of Attraction

Started by life_boy, February 22, 2003, 04:49:47 AM

Kal

I liked that the guy from Dawson's Creek was playing Sean Bateman, Patrick Bateman's younger brother... so he was a psycho only because his brother was also a psycho... hmmm... doesnt make any sense

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMy problem with it is that it tries to be something dramatically tragic with  cheap material. Pulp Fiction understood the limits of this kind of material.

but it is tragic.

Quote from: andykI liked that the guy from Dawson's Creek was playing Sean Bateman, Patrick Bateman's younger brother... so he was a psycho only because his brother was also a psycho... hmmm... doesnt make any sense

patrick bateman makes an appearance in the book.  

i watched it w/ a buddy of mine who hadn't seen it and really isn't into movies all that much. we both agreed that the movie really has more of a high school feel than a college one. (the 'dressed to get screwed party' is something u may see in high school, but not in college, atleast not in these days) i don't think its entirely necessary to sympathize w/ every character. it's just kinda sad how fucked up high school/college life can be.

again, i must recommend reading the book.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMy problem with it is that it tries to be something dramatically tragic with  cheap material. Pulp Fiction understood the limits of this kind of material.

but it is tragic.

I know a lot of people believe Pulp is tragic, but I don't. The only scene that seems to display inner struggle at a strenious point is Jackson's intervention in the robbery. The scene does attempt something tragic, but is so wrapped in clever dialogue (like the rest of the film) that I didn't believe that it was trying to be as emotional as much of Rules. It felt like it going for good tension instead.

godardian

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: ©brad

but it is tragic.

I know a lot of people believe Pulp is tragic, but I don't. The only scene that seems to display inner struggle at a strenious point is Jackson's intervention in the robbery. The scene does attempt something tragic, but is so wrapped in clever dialogue (like the rest of the film) that I didn't believe that it was trying to be as emotional as much of Rules. It felt like it going for good tension instead.

I kind of agree with GT here. I think the minute you try to see anything philosophical/moral/emotional in Pulp Fiction, it either is diminished greatly or just falls apart; it's a masterpiece of "external," surface storytelling, but even the big "tragic" scene with Jackson's speech is very superficial (which, as I see it, is just as it should be for the film). Tarantino is a genius at making his gimmicks seem like more than tricks, but anything he has is in the style and storytelling.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

no no no, i meant the rules of attraction was tragic, not pulp fiction.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©bradno no no, i meant the rules of attraction was tragic, not pulp fiction.

Oh.......well, cool. The movie is still fun for me to watch, but I don't think it really succeeds in what it is trying to do.

Slick Shoes

I thought there was scattered brilliance throughout.

My college experience was nothing like this.

I'd watch it again just to see Jessica Biel.

md

Quote from: snaporazat least it didn't have some flavour of the month/buzz clip soundtrack.

uhh it had that thicke song, sampling the fifth of beethoven,  is it called " I want you to know" or something...which actually was a buzzclip thing on mtv.  I thought the song was cool when I heard it, now its pretty lame...but maybe that was avary's point since it was playing at the party scene.  And being a freshman in college, we did have a party which was very identical to that dress to fuck party or whatever.....and boy was it great
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

tpfkabi

i was very close to walking out on this film, but figured i'd stay just to see how it ended

the funniest part to me was when Van Der Beek was playing guitar for the girl......that just reminds me of some jerks in high school just like that
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

nix

I really have an affinity for this film. I go to a small liberal arts college now, and it's nothing like it's depected in ROA, but I could see larger schools having people like this. The visual style is almost totaly brilliant, with the exception of the reverse stuff which gets a little old.

I think the film is definatly tragic, but in the best way, which is to say, I laughed my ass off the whole time. Several actors I wasn't a fan of turned in great performaces, and I think it's  very loyal to the book in that it keeps the spirit without trying to stick to it too closely.

It's also, on the simplest level, damned entertaining.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Weak2ndAct

Roger Avary is cool.  On his website (www.avary.com), he let people know that he was having a garage sale this weekend, plenty of goodies for sale and other freebies to be handed out.  I showed up way too late (apparently there was a mob at 7AM!) and missed out on any of the cool stuff for grabs-- Roger said the sale was pretty much over.  But despite that, I was welcomed into his house and was handed some beer.  Roger hung out and chatted movie-geek-talk with the few of us there.  And the best part: he gave me a uber-rare Rules poster that features the bathtub girl, nude and bloodied, kissing Shannyn Sossamon.  And he autographed it too.  Rock 'n' Roll.

nix

He sounds like the coolest guy ever.

I guess that inter posistion is now filled.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Pubrick

Quote from: Weak2ndActhe gave me a uber-rare Rules poster that features the bathtub girl, nude and bloodied, kissing Shannyn Sossamon.  And he autographed it too.  Rock 'n' Roll.
tubgirl?! sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Ptubgirl?! sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
Actually, the poster is kinda hot.  If I had a digital camera, I'd take a snap of it.  Sadly, I do not.

A Fire Inside

This movie made we wish the characters were real, just so I could murder them. lol
If life gives you babies, make baby-aid