Simon & Garfunkel to tour again!!

Started by SoNowThen, September 10, 2003, 09:04:46 AM

SoNowThen

My prayers are answered. This will be the only time in my life I get a chance like this, having missed every important concert event due to the fact that I wasn't born yet...

I need city info. Obviously they're not coming to my neck of the woods, but I will pony up for a plane ticket pretty much anywhere in the States if I have to.

Yeah!!!! Yeah! This is nice. This is good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

S&G TOUR CITIES  
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Chicago, Illinois
St. Paul, Minnesota
Denver, Colorado
Seattle, Washington
Portland, Oregon
San Jose, California
Oakland, California
Las Vegas, Neveda
Phoenix, Arizona
St. Louis, Missouri
St. Louis, Missouri
Sacramento, California
Anaheim, California
San Diego, California
Los Angeles, California
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Hartford, Connecticut
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
New York City
Philadelphia, Pensylvania
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Boston, Massachussetts
Washington, DC
Sacramento, California
Anaheim, California
San Diego, California
Atlanta, Georgia
Tampa, Florida,
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

http://www.artgarfunkel.com/sgtour.htm

But I red in a Danish paper that they are gonna tour Canada as well.

SoNowThen

Awesome, thanks Sigur!!

Tour Canada, hey? Should I take a chance and wait....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

I don't know what you should do. I've checked almost every site on the net, and they all say the same thing which is that They will play 30 concerts in the US. The only source that says otherwise is Danish Television they say that they will play 36 concerts in USA and Canada.

So I don't know what to make of it....

But keep checking this site for updates:
http://www.simonandgarfunkel.com/

Just Withnail

Why oh why oh why oh why don't I live in the US?? Please please please tour outside the states (and canada), I beg i beg beg beg you. Norway perhaps? Damn opportunities like these don't come often. Shit

Redlum

Goddamn. I hope they expand to a world tour.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Just Withnail

Fuckin'a!! They're coming to Olso July 24!! Aw, Christ this is just too much...They! Are coming! To fucking Oslo! Which means I get to see them. In my lifetime, I'll get to see Simon & Garfunkel. Not only that, but in three small months. YES!

Sigur Rós

Quote from: WithnailFuckin'a!! They're coming to Olso July 24!! Aw, Christ this is just too much...They! Are coming! To fucking Oslo! Which means I get to see them. In my lifetime, I'll get to see Simon & Garfunkel. Not only that, but in three small months. YES!

Yeah, they are playing in Denmark as well. July 28

mogwai

the price for the tickets are way over my limit. you have to pay 155 dollars to see two aged hippies play their oldies. it's a disgrace.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaithe price for the tickets are way over my limit. you have to pay 155 dollars to see two aged hippies play their oldies. it's a disgrace.

Yeah, but we are still going together right?

Just Withnail

So I saw them last night and they were fantastic. They started off with a montage of videos and photos spanning their entire career, which then abruptly stop, leading directly into a considerably rocked up version of "Hazy shade of winter". Very good start, but strange to see a Simon & Garfunkel show with the kind of lighting they had and rocked up arrangements, when you're used to just the two of 'em and an accustic guitar. Anyway, they brought in the Everly Brothers in the middle of the show, who did four songs, showcasing the fact that Phil Everly's voice has held up over the years a whole lot better than Garfunkel's. Paul's voice just seems to get better. During "Bridge over troubled water" which Garfunkel usual does solo, Simon got the second verse all for himself and hit those high notes just as well as (and sometimes better than) Garfunkel, which is a bit sad, as one of my favorite aspects of listening to S&G is just blocking out all but Garfunkel, listening to his beautiful fucking voice reaching those heights...Sadly he doesn't reach 'em any longer, and it shows, especially when both Simon and Phil Everly show that their voices have surpassed his these last decades.

My absolute favorite part was a second video montage in the middle, a few songs after the Everlys left, which consisted of lots of older clips, some moments from the Graduate mixed in, we don't see the stage, as all lights but the tv screen are off, then we get The Graduate overload, and the "You're trying to seduce me"-moment, leading to a light on Simon alone with guitar on stage, playing "Mrs. Robinson". Great, great stuff. Goosebump material right there. Another moment, was when they played "Sound of silence" without voices or nothing, just a lone guitar, before the first verse. Beautiful. "The only living boy in New York" was a beauty as well, and ending the whole show with "Leaves that are green" was just perfect. Just perfect.

The chemistry between the two was a bit strange. It had a "just doing it for the money"-vibe going, but I can't imagine any of them being poor, at least not Simon. They jokingly refered to their multiple arguments numerous times, but you could sense some bitterness behind the humor. They did find each others hands though, in a surpricingly beautiful moment at the very end, when by chance the camera was on Garfunkel's hands waving, and for a brieft second of touches Simon's hand, also waving, and Garfunkel just grabs it like he'd never let go. Then the obligatory hug, etc.

All in all a fantastic show, and I finally got to see some of my heroes. The only of my three favorite bands (Clash and Nirvana being the other two) who are even possible to see. Really sad to think that I will probably never (ever) see another show with music I'm so emotionally attached to...