Another Xixax Film Festival?

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, April 11, 2004, 08:39:24 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: OnomatopaellaEh, it'll make it next time around.  I'm convinced there were just a few too many people on a pretentious, boring foreign film kick... just say no to Godard and Fellini.

Egad.

Do you hate cinema?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: OnomatopaellaEh, it'll make it next time around.  I'm convinced there were just a few too many people on a pretentious, boring foreign film kick... just say no to Godard and Fellini.

Egad.

Do you hate cinema?

Ono gave a pretty good explanation of what he meant on the last page...

...although I still can't say that I agree with him.  :wink:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Redlum

Musicals?

Singin in the Rain & Moulin Rouge
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumMusicals?

Singin in the Rain & Moulin Rouge

Are you saying musicals are the worst kind of movie, or that those are the worst musicals? Because I love Singin' in the Rain, and you'd think that Moulin Rouge would the worst musical, but that little honor goes to:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Redlum

Nothing behind it, just a suggestion for a festival theme. You could throw in Dancer in the Dark for a 'high-brow' choice, but that goes too far beyond tragedy for me to ever watch it past half way again, despite how great it is. I love Moulin Rouge aswell as it having ties to SitR.

Are they an early Mary-Kate and Ashley?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: ®edlumNothing behind it, just a suggestion for a festival theme. You could throw in Dancer in the Dark for a 'high-brow' choice, but that goes too far beyond tragedy for me to ever watch it past half way again, despite how great it is. I love Moulin Rouge aswell as it having ties to SitR.

Are they an early Mary-Kate and Ashley?

You know, I completely fucked up and thought I was in the "Worst Movie" thread.  :oops:  Just never mind me. Except Dolly Sisters is incompetent to the point of camp, so yes... they're good candidates for an early Mary-Kate and Ashley.

Banky

Kill Bill Volume 1 on thursday would be pretty simple

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Cinephile 9000... The Royal Tenenbaums?

Totally down for that.

Maybe a Wes Fest?

Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Royal Tenenbaums

?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I keep getting Godardian and Ono mixed up cause of their avatars.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Quote from: StefenI keep getting Godardian and Ono mixed up cause of their avatars.
Plate of paella.  Lisa Simpson.  Plate of paella.  Lisa Simpson.  Yeah... no, I don't quite see the problem.  ;)

Pedro

genre festivals would be fun.  musicals...thrillers...film noir...that sorta thing.  sign me up to do musicals though.  that'd be a blast.

ono

Well, whatever the case may be, the next festival is right here: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5972

Stefen

Quote from: Onomatopaella
Quote from: StefenI keep getting Godardian and Ono mixed up cause of their avatars.
Plate of paella.  Lisa Simpson.  Plate of paella.  Lisa Simpson.  Yeah... no, I don't quite see the problem.  ;)

I was talking about your old Critic av.  :-D
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.