The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: tremoloslothNo other band has accomplished that, not even Radiohead (not ever Radiohead).

Don't get me started on how much I HATE Radiohead... pretentious fucks they are... grrrr...

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick

Don't get me started on how much I HATE Radiohead... pretentious fucks they are... grrrr...

:)  It's widely known that I feel pretty much the same way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Quote from: godardian

:)  It's widely known that I feel pretty much the same way.

Not me.  I was just saying that they are the closest thing, and they still can't touch the Beatles.
I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: tremoloslothNot me.  I was just saying that they are the closest thing, and they still can't touch the Beatles.

Are you jokin, bro?  You think Radiohead had the depth and range the Beatles did?  I don't think the Beatles are the end all be all, although they ARE damn good, but Radiohead could never be like them... not unless York stops whining like he's got a stick up his butt (that a bandmate is surely twirling and twisting in there) and they stop riding their high-horses... they think they're so high and mighty... they're just snobs who suck monkey nuts...

Sleuth

Quote from: tremoloslothNot me.  I was just saying that they are the closest thing, and they still can't touch the Beatles.

Are you jokin, bro?  You think Radiohead had the depth and range the Beatles did?  I don't think the Beatles are the end all be all, although they ARE damn good, but Radiohead could never be like them... not unless York stops whining like he's got a stick up his butt (that a bandmate is surely twirling and twisting in there) and they stop riding their high-horses... they think they're so high and mighty... they're just snobs who suck monkey nuts...

What makes them snobs?  They aren't confined to do the style of music everyone expected them to do after OKC (or even the Bends for some).  They're doing their own thing

And no I'm not joking, go back and read my defense of the Beatles.  Why does music have to be "rock" so that people won't call it pretentious?
I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

in a talk about being pretentious...

....you guys are being way too fuckin' negative!

Gold Trumpet

I have a love for The Beatles while agreeing they are overrated. Revolver feels dated and more comparative to their earlier works than the groundbreaking album it is claimed to be alongside Pet Sounds. And in comparing Revolver to their earlier works, it lacks the energy. Sgt Peppers is an experimental album, but mostly off balanced the entire way through and never fully experimenting with the ideas to make full fledged music out of it. They're structure and basis on that album was still very premature and just the new sounds of what they were doing where overshadowing everything else.

That said, I consider Abbey Road one of the very best rock albums ever. The album is so adventurous in trying to capture 4 personalities and eccentities, but makes up for everything premature in Sgt Peppers with musical confidence to link all the different sounds into an album that really feels complete and whole. I still get a thrill from hearing that album and the talent the beatles had in bringing everything together the way they did. I also am a major fan of their early work because of early fun rock, I love their work the best. No other band seemed to capture the heart, energy and innocence of the time period as the beatles do. as simple to category the music in general pop, something has to be said of that. Funny, the film critic Stanley Kauffmann best summed up the beatles by not calling them just by their band name, but as "Lovely Beatles".

~rougerum

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetRevolver
I will agree with what you said about this album...(realize even though, when completely wasted, I will even like their bubblegum crap, but I really dig the latter years)... Revolver I believe was the turning point in their career.  There are hints on Help...but it was here that I first heard what would later become the sound I grew to rely on.  

sorry, ...

tpfkabi

how does Revolver feel more dated?

Tomorrow Never Knows is "fresher" than anything today.........i love Pet Sounds a little more, but Revolver is a whole other bird

i don't see how you can say the Beatles only have a few good songs. have you actually "listened" to them very much? i don't mean casually, on the radio, or in your house while you're doing other things.........have you REALLY listened to them??

to me only a few songs aren't good
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

russiasusha

Help me out with this list of things that they did first:

-  Used feedback (I Feel Fine)
-  Sampling (I am the Walrus, sampling Hamlet or some other shakespear play
-  Play in a stadium (Shea Stadium)
-  First band to be accepted by pretty much every country on the planet
-  The use of Indian instruments

There's others, I know
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

tpfkabi

i think:
fuzz bass on Rubber Soul
reversed guitars, sounds on a rock record (i think paul was listening to music concrete'(sp?).......first on Rain i think, and more on Revolver
tape loops maybe?

russiasusha

Quotei think:
fuzz bass on Rubber Soul
reversed guitars, sounds on a rock record (i think paul was listening to music concrete'(sp?).......first on Rain i think, and more on Revolver
tape loops maybe?

Yeah sounds right
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Vile5

Favorite album:
Abbey Road

Favorite songs:
Something
You've got to hide your love away
Across the universe
Revolution
Birthday
Come together
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Pas

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeBest moment in a rock and roll song ever: when Ringo yells "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS" at the end of Helter Skelter.

The Beatles are the my favorite band, and probably the best band ever, but they are overrated.

Wasn't it you who once described perfect happiness as the part in Hey Jude when it goes like : "Make it better, better, better, BETTER, BETTER AHHHHH" ?

tpfkabi

i think they also pioneered the Chorus effect........they wanted to figure out a way to get the effect of doubling their voices without actually tracking twice