chris cunningham

Started by cowboykurtis, April 06, 2003, 11:34:51 AM

72teeth

Right now on the VMA's, they're using the audio of Flex (the tubular clicks) for all the nominee intros...and yes, i'm watching the VMA's :oops:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

he is alive!

The Horrors recently updated their myspace blog with a link to the new video for Sheena Is A Parasite, directed by Cunningham and starring Samantha Morton.

here's a behind the scenes cap

as usual, the video does contain some disturbing imagery. this time more in the rubber johnny vein of exploding heads and flying entrails. here is a preview of such an image, clicky. the video can be accessed through their blog in the link above but don't be scared off by the registration form you hav to fill in before getting to the video. just type any old crap on those things, like first name : fafafaf and email address 'afafaf@afafaf.com" and u'll get to the streaming page.

IF THATS ALL TOO MUCH TROUBLE, copy and paste this url into your windows media player to watch the streaming clip:
http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/?id=aa81817d-41e3-480a-8d7f-bb83e4463add&delivery=stream&tk=Hx%2BotJVwyAg=vIETfe%2BfH%2FftFfpbzWsgCWfhuqk=3O1d2A==17

pretty much the same info plus a bit more can be found on their blog and at the cunningham site.

my thoughts on the video: samantha fucking morton rocks her ass off. these are two minutes of certified mayhem. nothing new by way of cunningham innovation except working with a "name" actress, i don't know whose idea it was but morton has redeemed herself for her forgettable appearance in that U2 video (Electrical Storm directed by Anton Corbijn), tho it's cool that she even appears in these things. the video is almost stolen by the creepy bass player, and the rest of the band's energy certainly comes through also.

the reason i mention them is because this presents something slightly different to other cunningham videos, or at least the way he had evolved to making them. possibly because it is a performance video, and the nature of the material (hard and fast), the energy of the talent onscreen comes across much more naturally than in any of his previous visual masterpieces. tell me you are not affected by morton's hips just past the minute mark. shakira wishes she had cunningham to exploit her assets so effectively. he continues to marry image and sound like no other artist working today, and in this he captures the kinetic presence of his "subjects" in a way that propels and punctuates our own experience of the material, similar to his other works in the visual manipulation but with a new additional layer --- a different angle on the distortion of human form.

in perfecting the unification of the superficial aspects of sound and image, through his aphex experiments, he is moving towards a more significant unison.. that of a palpable human energy as displayed by his subjects on screen; his own vision; and our own perception. there is one way to see his work --- it becomes purely our way. this isn't his best video, but it shows that he has not lost any ground in pursuing what i perceive to be extremely high ambitions. ultimately he'd say all these words are a bunch of bullshit anyway. like kubrick would if he ever saw what i wrote.. and was alive.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

before i saw the video i was scared by the idea of the chris cunningham directing a video by a myspace "the" band (now there is no doubt that he is indeed a nerd), but all worries seized when i saw the clip. my favorite thing of the whole video is he says it was very cheap to make, yet it looks too good for this planet. but why the hell does he keeps teasing us? did he pick up a two minute song on purpose? release your damned album already!
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial on July 17, 2006, 11:35:56 PM
i was so happy to wake up this morning and see that there was a new clip.
it's been up ten days.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial on July 18, 2006, 05:50:32 PM
p.s. i think i saw you in the queen st mall on monday afternoon.
that is weird.. for starters i don't think i ever met you or showed you a picture, let alone supplied you with enough information to spot me in a crowded street. :shock:  yeah i was at the Regent buying tickets to BIFF. was i with a girl? now that i think about it i do remember feeling like i was being watched.. more than usual even..

please continue the conversation in this thread, which i have renamed in the style of silias so we can discuss BIFF.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Is Chris Cunningham the biggest waste of talent in the history of wasted talent?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Stefen

It looks pretty, but then so does every other commercial for products like that.

It's sad that CC has squandered his time away and now spends his creativity making adverts for women's perfume.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on April 15, 2009, 04:33:25 PM
It looks pretty, but then so does every other commercial for products like that.

It's sad that CC has squandered his time away and now spends his creativity making adverts for women's perfume.

yeah, at least he's ALIVE and doing something, just the other day was wondering what he was up to...

and pic, good find bro, and pretty fast too, it has only 311 views...

edit. ups! new page, ill quote again the video here.

Quote from: picolas on April 15, 2009, 03:58:05 PM
NEW COMMERCIAL (gucci)

modage

Video: Gil Scott-Heron: "New York Is Killing Me" [Directed by Chris Cunningham]
Source: Pitchfork

Chris Cunningham is the visionary director behind our favorite music video of the 1990s, Aphex Twin's wonderfully absurd "Come to Daddy" (among many other classic clips), but he's been dormant as of late. Luckily, that looks to be changing.

The director debuted his first new video in four years-- for Gil Scott-Heron's "New York Is Killing Me"-- at the Museum of Modern Art last night. Cunningham also remixed the audio into something considerably more ominous, which perfectly synchronizes with the shadowy, New York-at-night clip. Even more good news: MoMA's site says Cunningham is "presently working on his first audiovisual album."

Watch the "New York Is Killing Me" video below:
http://pitchfork.com/news/40202-video-gil-scott-heron-new-york-is-killing-me-directed-by-chris-cunningham/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Yup. I saw this on P4K's Facebook newsfeed. Shits taking forever to load. I've had it loading for like 15 minutes and it's not even a quarter of the way through. Is that happening to you?

Anytime there is new Cunningham it's pretty the best day of my life.

modage

I'm pretty sure I've been on the subway with that guy.

Also:

"presently working on his first audiovisual album."

Make a movie, motherfucker!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Does anyone know where I can find the MP3 of this song?