Favourite Lynch thing.

Started by budgie, March 04, 2003, 03:04:36 PM

budgie

I was gonna say 'object' (eg:  <----------------), but this could include image, character (as a visual manifestation) or anything else of a specially weird and creative nature.

For me... the baby, the guy with his head stuck in the table in Lost Highway, the chickens in Eraserhead and the lady behind the radiator.

phil marlowe

The ear in Blue Velvet.
The blue box entrance in Mulholland Drive.
The mystery man in Lost Highway.

Sigur Rós

I'd have to go with the log in Twin Peaks. Another thing would be the weird man in Lost Highway....damn that guy gave me the goose pimples "I'm at your house right now"...........uhhh! Kind of "pointless" but damn scary!

Royal Tenenbaum

the woman who hits deer in the Straight Story.
the heart plugs in DUNE.
the pencil machine in Eraserhead.
Paps Blue Ribbon in Blue Velvet.

life_boy

The opera singer's fall, yet her voice continues to sing "Llorando" in the beautiful scene from Mulholland Drive.  Great scene!  It was also one of the most powerful scenes from any movie in 2001.  I can't get enough of that one scene (that's the only reason I'd like chapter selections for MH; you know, some scenes you just have to watch again).

MacGuffin

*The opening of "Elephant Man" that tell the story of his mother attacked by an elephant.
*In "Twin Peaks" TV series (Season 2, Episode 7), when the killer is finally revealed, the record that plays ends causing a repetitive needle skip.
*"Mulholland Drive", The Cowboy.
*"Blue Velvet":
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: life_boyThe opera singer's fall, yet her voice continues to sing "Llorando" in the beautiful scene from Mulholland Drive.  Great scene!  It was also one of the most powerful scenes from any movie in 2001.  I can't get enough of that one scene (that's the only reason I'd like chapter selections for MH; you know, some scenes you just have to watch again).

Couldn't agree more. The MD soundtrack is great. Llorando is on there. I also love the jitterbug opening sequence. (The music from that is on the soundtrack too)

Ghostboy

Isn't the mystery man in Lost Highway a whole lot scarier now that he's a convicted murderer? CREEEEPY.

Anyway...

There's a moment in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me that scares the shit out of me every time, to the extent that I can't remember what happens exactly. I just know Laura and her father are in their car. I watch the movie about once a year, and that scene has a tremendous impact on me, and then it erases itself from my head.

Also, from the same movie, the part where she's looking at the painting of the door hanging on her wall...and where she rolls over and Heather Graham's dead body from the future is laying next to her...and the closeups of the fingernails breaking...and I guess pretty much everything else in the movie!

But on more subtle terms...the aforementioned operetta in Mulholland Drive is heartbreaking in such an unexpected and confounding way. I truly love that scene.

Royal Tenenbaum

"Isn't the mystery man in Lost Highway a whole lot scarier now that he's a convicted murderer? CREEEEPY."

Was Robert Blacke actually convicted? I mean, that whole innocent until proven guilty thing is important.

phil marlowe

Would somebody please brief me on this? Who did he murder? Why? How?

sphinx

the way adam sort of jumps up the stairs to his house golf club in hand just kills me every time, and i'm the only person who laughs at it.  more of an actor thing than a lynch thing, but everything good has already been said.

RegularKarate

The scene in the restraunt where he's describing his dream towards the begining of Mulholland Drive is great... I've never seen a film that described so accurately the way I can feel in a dream sometimes.

sphinx

sort of change-expanding on that, one of the reasons why i love mulholland dr. so much is that it actually makes me feel moods and emotions that relate specifically to the atmosphere of the scene, and i don't know how lynch does it.

Xixax

Since Mulholland Drive is the only Lynch film I've seen so far (netflix queue is deep!) I'm going to have to say that my favorite David Lynch thing would definitely, without a doubt, be...

Naomi Watts.

Ooo Laa laa!!!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

KingBlackDeath

The Red Room (aka Black Lodge) the last 15 minutes of the series is great.
That is without a doubt #1 for me.
Also, that steamy lesbian scene. I like naked girls. :angel:
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?