eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

tpfkabi

hmm.......that sounds interesting. i even liked Human Nature and Knives Out..........i wonder what entertainment place pays the most money on used DVD's? i imagine not much.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Bethie

What do you guys think of Mick's "You Say Potato 2005" campaign? He is going all out. http://www.beingcharliekaufman.com/potato.htm

I think it's amusing.
who likes movies anyway

mehico

Quote from: Bethie
I think it's amusing.

ditto.
You are the son of incestuous union.

kotte

I guess its been talked about but anyone see the Press Room Oscar interview with Gondry, Kaufman and Bismuth. It's pretty standard except Kaufman's hilarious and rude answere to the (exceptionally stupid) question if he felt he should have been credited as editor. Also how they stumble up on stage and are kept waiting for almost a minute before the first question.

Watch it over at Oscars.com

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Just saw this a few days ago.

You guys were right to give it everything at the Xixax awards.

This thing cut pretty close right now. This and Dylan's Blood On The Tracks. Together. Not at the same time, but one after the other after the other and so on...

Also, damn is it a cliched thing to say, but every character was so fully realized. Really nice. I hope it holds up (and/or gets better) with each repeated viewing. Must now buy dvd. Hmmm, R1 or R2???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenI hope it holds up (and/or gets better) with each repeated viewing.
well everybody but you already knows that it does.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

except the 15th viewing for sum reason..  :yabbse-huh:
under the paving stones.

mogwai

i've heard that after viewing the movie for the 15th time you'll get sucked into the tv. you will enter a hidden scene in the movie where jim carry and kate winslet laughs at you.

shite, i have about 10 viewings left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: sickfins
countless variations

You know... Google drops things like "and", "the", "of", "a", unless you include them as part of a phrase with quotations at the beginning and end.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

as the last memory of Clementine is being erased, and he replies with a smile "she was just a girl" followed by a moment of silent regret...that is one of the saddest moments in film history.

(the saddest of course being the moment in "The Elephant Man" where he  holds a photo of his beautiful mother and states "i must have been a great disappointment to her.")

MacGuffin

It Takes (2)
We asked a handful of Oscar nominees to name their closest creative partner -- their chief sounding board and ally.
Source: Entertainment Weekly

Kate Winslet with Michel Gondry

Actors often credit directors with helping them dig into a character's psyche or interpret a scene differently. Winslet credits Gondry with shaping the entire second act of her career. ''When Michel approached me about starring in Eternal Sunshine, I had done a lot of period films,'' says the 31-year-old, who just landed her fifth Oscar nomination for her turn in Little Children. ''Playing Clementine opened me up to exploring contemporary roles.'' A comparative neophyte to comedy and improv, Winslet related so well to the heavily accented director on the Sunshine set that she even became his de facto translator. ''Jim [Carrey] would nod at Michel's requests, and then immediately turn to me and ask, 'What did he say?' and I'd translate. I don't actually speak French, but we are completely on the same wavelength.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks