saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

cine

Quote from: ono on May 17, 2009, 01:06:58 AM
(I have to get the context for that song to understand it better, but I always love seeing the whole cast performing together)

it was Goodnight Saigon, about the vietnam war... did you know that already or were you wanting additional context for some reason..

Pas

Quote from: ono on May 17, 2009, 01:06:58 AM
and too much Wiig).

She's really terrible isn't she. I think my favorite episode this season (haven't seen em all tho) was Zac Effron's  :shock:

ono

Quote from: Cinephile on May 17, 2009, 01:13:51 AM
it was Goodnight Saigon, about the vietnam war... did you know that already or were you wanting additional context for some reason..
I didn't know the song.  Is it featured in any movie?

And another thing about Ferrell.  One of the best things to come out of SNL, obviously, but this is a total about face from his 2005 episode with Queens of the Stone Age, which was terrible.  His monologue this time around wasn't as good as it could have been, but I'm glad they got all the other kinks out.

And yeah, Wiig is terrible.  Overused, overexposed.  Her Gilly sketch is a blight on the show, a waste of time, and I really can't believe the other cast member indulge it.  Target Girl can sometime be passable, but more often than not is just grating.  The only thing I really like of hers is when Jonas Hill has hosted both times, and she's done this duet with Will Forte about jars of beer, American flags, and babies riding space ships... or something.

OrHowILearnedTo

What?!? Wiig was the only reason to watch this show for the season and a half before the good second half of this season. She's easily the most talented member (with hader) on this abysmal cast (other than forte and armisen). That gilly sketch is one of the most absurdly hilarious things ever.

also, all the new members are terrible. Bobby Moynahan is the shittiest, and Casey Wilson is ugly as fuck.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: ono on May 17, 2009, 09:00:07 AM
Quote from: Cinephile on May 17, 2009, 01:13:51 AM
I didn't know the song.  Is it featured in any movie?

I don't think so but its one of billy joel's best songs.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ono

Thanks, Silias.

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on May 20, 2009, 11:58:59 PM
What?!? Wiig was the only reason to watch this show for the season and a half before the good second half of this season. She's easily the most talented member (with hader) on this abysmal cast (other than forte and armisen). That gilly sketch is one of the most absurdly hilarious things ever.

also, all the new members are terrible. Bobby Moynahan is the shittiest, and Casey Wilson is ugly as fuck.

Agree to disagree.  Casey Wilson's a goddess, Gilly's one-note and creepy (as is most of Wiig's stuff), and Moynahan's brilliant ('cept for that stupid Peppah! sketch).  That kid he plays to Hader's Italian talk show host is a revelation.  I can agree that Hader's great.  Elliot and Watson haven't found their footing yet, but soon will (though Watson may be too old to fit in unless she gets some good recurring impressions like Hammond).  Kenan Thompson has always been great (show's at a big loss when Finesse, a good comic foil, was cut).  You already said Forte and Armisen.  Show's at a loss without Poehler, and Meyers has been missed in sketches since taking over the desk.  It's such a big cast, I'm blanking on who I'm missing, but everyone at least has potential.

Not much else to talk about really, just looking forward to next season.  Can't explain how much fun I had rediscovering the show from the period, Fey, Juno chick, Hill, Adams, Walken, Kutcher, and Carrell (and, ew, LeBouf, too, sure) to end last season.  Those first five shows my faves.  Just so much brilliant stuff in there.  Sure, Wiig had a small part in it.  But most of it was an amalgamation of everything they do well popping at once.

I enjoy discussing it, but my views on the show are always so diametrically opposed to most people's here anyway.  SNL's the show that's cool to hate on, but everyone watches secretly when they have no plans on a Saturday night (myself included, but I'm grateful for torrents and DVR).

cine

Bobby Moynahan is the shittiest

because he didn't do a lot?

we'll see what you're saying next year.

OrHowILearnedTo

Agree to disagree.  Casey Wilson's a goddess, Gilly's one-note and creepy (as is most of Wiig's stuff), and Moynahan's brilliant ('cept for that stupid Peppah! sketch).  That kid he plays to Hader's Italian talk show host is a revelation.  I can agree that Hader's great.  Elliot and Watson haven't found their footing yet, but soon will (though Watson may be too old to fit in unless she gets some good recurring impressions like Hammond).  Kenan Thompson has always been great (show's at a big loss when Finesse, a good comic foil, was cut).  You already said Forte and Armisen.  Show's at a loss without Poehler, and Meyers has been missed in sketches since taking over the desk.  It's such a big cast, I'm blanking on who I'm missing, but everyone at least has potential.

Not much else to talk about really, just looking forward to next season.  Can't explain how much fun I had rediscovering the show from the period, Fey, Juno chick, Hill, Adams, Walken, Kutcher, and Carrell (and, ew, LeBouf, too, sure) to end last season.  Those first five shows my faves.  Just so much brilliant stuff in there.  Sure, Wiig had a small part in it.  But most of it was an amalgamation of everything they do well popping at once.

I enjoy discussing it, but my views on the show are always so diametrically opposed to most people's here anyway.  SNL's the show that's cool to hate on, but everyone watches secretly when they have no plans on a Saturday night (myself included, but I'm grateful for torrents and DVR).
[/quote]

Watkins has potential, you can tell she probably has some dramatic acting training and isn't someone who's there because she's just funny. I feel bad for abby elliot, she's so cute but keeps getting the least amount of lines in any sketches, probably because she cant get anything she writes herself on the show. The biggest thing she did was that angelina jolie impersonation, which was dead on, but went for (and overdid) the obvious baby jokes and was not funny. There's just something about casey wilson that puts me off i guess.
Quote from: Cinephile on May 21, 2009, 11:04:38 PM
Bobby Moynahan is the shittiest

because he didn't do a lot?

we'll see what you're saying next year.

Didn't do alot? he was in way too many sketches and killed all of them. He's loud and obnoxious, but not in Farley kind of way, more of a jesus christ shut the fuck up, you're annoying kind of way. I can't see myself ever warming up to this guy. He's probably just going to get louder and more annoying as time goes on.

MacGuffin

'MacGruber' film eyes cast
Ryan Phillippe, Val Kilmer in negotiations to star
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"MacGruber," the recurring "Saturday Night Live" skit that parodies "MacGyver," is one step closer to going before cameras as a big-screen movie.

Ryan Phillippe is in negotiations to star in the feature, with Val Kilmer in negotiations to also join the Paramount and Relativity Media production. Will Forte and Kristen Wiig are reprising their roles from the skits.

Jorma Taccone, who created the character and directed most of the skits, is helming; "SNL" producer and creator Lorne Michaels is producing.

The "MacGruber" sketches starred Forte as MacGyver's son with Wiig as an assistant who always find themselves, along with that week's guest star, in a control room with a ticking bomb about to go off. MacGruber gets sidelined by personal issues, and the bomb goes off.

Forte and Taccone wrote the parodies with John Solomon. The trio wrote the feature script, which takes the story in a completely different direction from the skits yet remains strangely familiar: The legendary, much decorated MacGruber is pulled out of retirement as a monk in Ecuador by a colonel, who needs him once more to fight on behalf of his country. This time the mission involves going up against the evil Cunth, who has a nuclear warhead; the mission is personal because Cunth killed MacGruber's bride.

The movie version would see Phillippe playing Piper, an Army officer forced to pair up with a reluctant MacGruber. Kilmer would be Cunth.

The project has been an open secret around town, with Forte even talking about it on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" last month.

The film harkens back to an earlier era when comedies based on "SNL" skits were commonplace, especially in the wake of the massive success of 1992's "Wayne's World" and its sequel. The trend eventually faded, seemingly dovetailing with the relevancy of the show itself.

In recent years, late-night mainstay has regained popularity and critical acclaim; the ultimate boxoffice fate of "MacGruber" could foreshadow whether a new crop of "SNL" movies invades screens.

"MacGruber" movie is fast-tracked and at this stage looks like it could make it to the screen before a "MacGyver" movie, which is in development at New Line.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

at first i hated the idea this was becoming a movie, but now that i know jorma is writing and directing, any possible feelings of skepticism have been obliterated.

polkablues

That is almost exactly what I was about to say. I still have no idea how they plan to turn this into an actual movie, but I believe in Jorma Taccone.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

i know one bomb thats about to go off. 

zing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

'SNL' cuts two female cast members
Site says Michaela Watkins, Casey Wilson were let go
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- "Saturday Night Live" has cut a cast member just a day after word of two new hires became public.

Michaela Watkins' publicist confirmed Friday that Watkins' contract was not renewed by the sketch comedy show. NBC declined to comment.

The news was first reported by the Web site Comic's Comic. The site also reported that cast member Casey Wilson had been cut from the show. Wilson's manager and her agent didn't immediately return calls and e-mails for comment.

Watkins joined the program last fall as a featured cast member. Wilson joined "SNL" in 2008 after the Hollywood writers strike.

On Thursday, a person close to the show confirmed that comedians Jenny Slate and Nasim Pedrad have joined the show.

"SNL" premieres Sept. 26.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

It's about damn time they cut Casey Wilson loose, but Watkins was funny, and they were actually starting to use her fairly regularly by the end of the season.  I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that one.
My house, my rules, my coffee