What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Myxo

Just finished this. Haven't seen the film yet. Should catch it sometime next week.

Pedro

For a contemporary fiction class.  I tried to read Gaddis when I was younger but failed miserably.  This is easier to get into than The Recognitions, but it is still difficult.  About 90 percent dialogue.  So far I'm enjoying it. 

socketlevel

very entertaining read about potentially the best Canadian film ever made.  If you haven't seen it rent "Hard Core Logo" via tarantino's rolling thunder shiz.
the one last hit that spent you...

Derek

Finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and What Is The What by Dave Eggers.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

picolas

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek on January 27, 2010, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: picolas on January 26, 2010, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: Derek on January 26, 2010, 09:37:01 PM
Finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
*applause*

Thanks, I feel good about that one.

so what did you get out of it?

i hope more than just being able to say that you finished it.  :yabbse-undecided:

hav u read any other epic novels? i ask cos i read half of Ulysses last year and i'm about done with books that take up your entire life. but i got Inifinite Jest here in my hand and i'm thinking maybe i'll hav a better chance since it's sposed to be more FUN than WORK.
under the paving stones.

Derek

Quote from: ρ on January 28, 2010, 02:15:24 AM
Quote from: Derek on January 27, 2010, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: picolas on January 26, 2010, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: Derek on January 26, 2010, 09:37:01 PM
Finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
*applause*

Thanks, I feel good about that one.

so what did you get out of it?

i hope more than just being able to say that you finished it.  :yabbse-undecided:

hav u read any other epic novels? i ask cos i read half of Ulysses last year and i'm about done with books that take up your entire life. but i got Inifinite Jest here in my hand and i'm thinking maybe i'll hav a better chance since it's sposed to be more FUN than WORK.

I realized my pain threshold for reading something that big (and cumbersome, the endnotes are a lot of work you need to use two bookmarks) exceeded what I thought I had in me before I started it.

Really though, more than any other book I've read it articulated better than I ever could feelings of depression, and it was laugh out loud funny in many, MANY parts. Even the boring pages, and there are many, keeped you hooked just for the talent in the writing. I didn't go into it looking for any deeper meaning once I had finished it but it's the only book that I have that I would really want to pick up in 5 or 10 years and read again. DFW really understands the human condition (For lack of a better word right now) and addiction and tennis. Don't know if that answered it. I'm a bit tired.

I did miss it when I was done. I haven't read much in the way of epic novels. I did read Shantaram, which was pretty long too, but nothing in the vein of Ulysses. Lately I've read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Catch 22, A Confederacy of Dunces and Gargoyle.

pete

"The Antelope's Strategy" has to be the most brutal, honest, and profound book ever.  It's an oral history on the aftermath of the Rwanda genocide, when the killers were pardoned and sent back to live peacefully with the victims, and how traumatizing it is - but the interviewed subjects (both the killers and the survivors) were able to cut through the anguish and theater to describe their state of mind in very honest, profound manners.  I have never read anything like it.  most of these books end up focusing on the brutality or the theatrics, somehow the writer was able to circumvent that...it's an amazing book.  It's like Dear Zachary times 1000.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

JG

infinite jest is worth it. i've read lengthy novels, but none the size or scope of infinite jest. (i have not read ulysses.) i read the first 400 pages or so over a span of about two months (in between other books) but i read the final chunk in about two days. its hilarious and heartbreaking and i think about it all the time.

if i didn't feel like it was a tad bit obnoxious to do so, i'd call it one of my two favorite books. the other would be suttree.

The Perineum Falcon

L'Assommoir, Emile Zola

2666 is a fucking masterpiece, you guys don't know what yer missing........ :wink:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pedro

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

That's the cover I want to marry.  :inlove: