Jason Reitman Directs Live Reading of Boogie Nights

Started by MacGuffin, August 30, 2013, 11:50:40 AM

MacGuffin

Jason Reitman Will Direct a Live Read of 'Boogie Nights' at the Toronto Film Festival
Source: Indiewire

With just under a week until the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival kicks off and all of the premieres and screening in place, another very special and high-profile event has just been announced: that of Jason Reitman's Live Read. After dazzling audiences at the festival last year with a live reading of "American Beauty," it has just been announced that "Boogie Nights" will be the subject of this year's installment.

The live reads were originally created by the director in collaboration with Elvis Mitchell with the Los Angeles County Museum of Arts in 2011. With no rehearsal, actors come together to perform a one-take run-through of a script, with Reitman providing stage direction. And Reitman has been able to assemble an incredibly impressive roster of people to partake, as last year's reading of "American Beauty" at TIFF featured Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks and Adam Driver.

"'Boogie Nights' was one of the most buzzed about films when it premiered at the Festival in 1997. When Jason Reitman brought the Live Read of 'American Beauty' to Toronto in 2012, there was excitement in the air -- audiences knew they were participating in something special," said Cameron Bailey, Artistic Director, Toronto International Film Festival. "Revisiting Anderson's script in this creative setting with a stellar cast of actors is a kind of movie magic."

The "Boogie Nights" live read will be held at the Ryerson Theater on September 6 at 6pm, and you can get tickets here. Jason Reitman will be revealing the actors taking part on his Twitter account in the days leading up to the event.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 30, 2013, 11:50:40 AM
Jason Reitman Will Direct a Live Read of 'Boogie Nights' at the Toronto Film Festival

Do they ever record these things? If so, direct me to where.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on September 03, 2013, 09:03:31 AM
I got one. Can't wait.

Have fun watching Dane Cook take a steaming dump all over John C. Reilly.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Let the record show that I was excited before I knew that Dane was Cooking.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Maybe this was mentioned before, but about 22 minutes into the 1st episode of the Harmontown podcast, Harmon's telling a story where for some reason he has to hang his underwear out to dry or something, a friend comes by and asks what happens, and he says, "the opening of a Paul Thomas Anderson movie happened there.  Something that requires diagrams to explain happened there."  Was amused by that.

In other news, Sudeikis as Buck Swope?  And I don't even know who the fellow is who's playing Scotty J.  I love me some Suideikis, and with his jovial style I think he can pull it off, but really, I don't think casting is Reitman's strong suit.  Unless, you know, he gets like Emma Stone to play Amber Waves.  No, better yet, Amy Adams.  Stone should play Rollergirl.

polkablues

Olivia Wilde as Amber Waves, Dakota Fanning as Rollergirl. This tantalizes multiple parts of me.

I just verified that Dakota Fanning is 19 now to make sure it's okay for me to think things like that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage