INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

December is a big month for movies because it's the last time of the year you can qualify for those awards. I agree, it's stupid how much they whore out for the oscars,  but with the limited box office PTA's films bring in, the oscar attention is the best thing they have going for them to get people watching ( who aren't us ). This will be nominated, with Paul's films it's become a given,  but I'm so sick of those dumb gold statues and I wish they would die.

Lottery

Agreed. Jeez Louise, you don't you just make it a 2015 film, ya bastards.
Still happy that there's something that's confirmed

Yeah, it may be his most bizarre yet but it should pick up a nom or three (cinem, costumes, hairs, maybe J Grizz's first and maybe best Joaquin). But hell, we've only seen like 2 non-official photos.

TheImaginator16

Do you think it will be closer to PDL or Magnolia in terms of length? I'm personally hoping for something around the 150 mins mark. I've started reading the book and I'm only about a third through. Seems like a lot of content and I would not want PTA to skim over a lot of it, so the longer the better! :D

How long do you guys think it will be in terms of running time?

polkablues

Quote from: TheImaginator16 on March 06, 2014, 04:28:44 PM
Do you think it will be closer to PDL or Magnolia in terms of length? I'm personally hoping for something around the 150 mins mark. I've started reading the book and I'm only about a third through. Seems like a lot of content and I would not want PTA to skim over a lot of it, so the longer the better! :D

How long do you guys think it will be in terms of running time?

I would be amazed if we ever see another PTA film as short as PDL or as long as Magnolia. His wheelhouse seems to be right around 2 1/2 hours, give or take 15 minutes.

That said, I haven't read a word of the book, so it might be a story that demands a five-hour adaptation for all I know.

EDIT: Merged into main IV thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Hard to say, depends how much Paulo wants to keep. It would be incredible if this was his most streamlined movie considering the content of the book. 130-160 makes sense. Half-hour difference but yeah, depends how faithful he is to the story.

N

There's just no tellin'. There's just no tellin'.

Robyn

I hope it's a short film.

TheImaginator16

I wonder if he will completely follow the films narrative or whether he'll just use the premise of Inherent Vice as the basis of his version of the story. Or if it will remain very similar until the ending. I kind of hope he changes the narrative a bit, although keeps much of the stuff the same. 

Cloudy

One of the main departures from all of his previous films will be in how he treats the Pynchon maximalist clusterfuck of real-world references/locations/brands/media/politics/science there is in it. His previous films always tended to treat the world outside of itself as very abstract. I'm wondering how close he'll stay to the material in this sense. Reminds me a bit of how in Lebowski where for example you'd see an In-N-Out in the back (which also is rare for the Coen's to do), but x1000000.

Axolotl

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/13/josh-brolin-labor-day-interview-heroin

QuoteThese days, it seems, he is clean and straight and enjoying his life. Brolin recently completed work on Inherent Vice, a black comedy from director Paul Thomas Anderson, who made Magnolia and The Master. It's a film that reunites him with Del Toro, his onetime rival from the Hollywood dunce class. "Yeah, well," he says, with a wolfish grin. "We did a lot of bad acting on this movie as well."

Also I mirrored a photograph I found on instagram so you can just barely make out the first page of the script

Those who've read the book can see he's taking a lot of the dialogue and descriptions verbatim from the first page of the book. It also has slow rising boner on the first page which is not in the book so we know this page at least is even more Pynchonian than the book.

Another really interesting thing I discovered when I recently found the set photos was that Guaqueen is reading from or holding the book in a lot of the pictures, and the book...

...gets progressively more tattered...

...as the shoot progresses

This is not going to be another OIL! if anyone still had doubt.

Frederico Fellini

Did anyone figure out what that first page says?   Aside from the part about Doc covering up his "slow rising BONER". (lolz)
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

DocSportello

Has anyone considered the possibility of voice over narration? I mean I doubt he'd use it but how do you film Pynchon without the words - much of which would have to be lost without narration? I can just make out from the photo the line from the first page of the book where it decribes Shasta as (and I'm paraphrasing) "showing up looking just like she always swore she'd never look" or something along those lines. It just sounds like something a narrator would say. It is a detective story after all. And he used some in Magnolia. Something to ponder. Either way, this movie is going to be fucking wacky.

TheImaginator16

Yeah I really would quite like some form of narration. In the book the narrator often leaps back in time to tell a story or describes a certain character with a story and I think it would be quite difficult to do this without a narrator in the film. I can see PTA using a narrator similarly to how he used one in the opening of Magnolia, like you mentioned. But hopefully in IH it will be not overly prominent and frequent but always present. I would quite like the narrator, if there is one, to be Doc rather than some all knowing narrative voice. Similar to the narration in Goodfellas or Wolf of Wall Street. The main character narrates and explains things, describing characters, telling stories and stuff.  :yabbse-smiley: i mean there would be ways of telling those stories more "subtly" like through dialogue with loads of exposition and visually but I reckon  a narrator would be good here.

Axolotl

Josh Brolin talking about PTA's method on Inherent Vice yet again.
Quote"Joaquin and I would do these scenes together and Paul would say, 'This time do it with the table upside down, and you guys get under the table and I'm going to put a blanket over you, and I want you to whisper your lines. And now this time, no lines and no dialogue at all, and I want you to just dance your dialogue. Whatever that next line is, I want you to create a movement that's going to be what that line of dialogue was going to be if you spoke it.'

Quote"It was just craziness, you know, but really fun. After that, we'd go back to the scene and it would be fed by all those other things that you can create something magical. But you have to do some pretty weird things."
Quote from: Cloudy on September 16, 2013, 11:40:27 PM
What Josh Brolin just described is the feeling of reading a Pynchon novel.

TheImaginator16

When do you guys think we can expect a teaser trailer or a preview or something? I think pretty soon, although I can imagine JG's music still needs to be edited and stuff. Any of you know when the first teaser for The Master came out?