Nominate! - 2015 Xixax Awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 19, 2015, 12:46:21 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The Basics

This will be our second year using the new simplified process:

• In this thread, members suggest nominations in whatever fashion they choose.
  • Admins will decide final nominees in an authoritarian yet benevolent fashion, greatly drawing on this thread.
  • We'll post polls for each category, and that will be the final vote.

So let's get started!

Post your nominations here, in any format or quantity you'd like. Doesn't matter. This is an informal process. You don't even need to read the rest of this post. Make several posts if you want to; post what you can think of now, and come back for more later.

Further Guidance

Is there an underrated film you're especially passionate about, or an incredible performance that no one is discussing? We're especially interested in those unusual choices to fill out categories.

If there's something you'd like to nominate that's embarrassing or shameful, PM me.

These are the categories. Obviously, suggest nominations for whatever you want. One, two, or all of them. If you're not sure which category a performance belongs in, don't worry about it.

Best Film
Best Director
Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance
Best Supporting Female Performance
Best Supporting Male Performance
Best Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Original Music
Best Visual Effects
Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Animated Feature
Best Trailer
Best Film Poster
Best TV Show
Most Disappointing Film New name! New attitude!
Best Film of 2013 (Redux)

If you're not sure whether something is from 2014, consult this list.

Jeremy Blackman

BONUS! If you have an idea for a fun category, post that here too, preferably with a couple nominations. If it's good, we may use it.

Some examples from the shoutbox:

Jeremy Blackman [19|Mar 12:08 AM]:   Any ideas for a 2014-only category?
Jeremy Blackman [19|Mar 12:09 AM]:   Like Best Historical Tortured White Guy
jenkins<3 [19|Mar 12:22 AM]:   Best Real Life Story That Made A Great Movie instead of Worst Movie
jenkins<3 [19|Mar 12:23 AM]:   something funny mean instead of something plain mean
jenkins<3 [19|Mar 12:23 AM]:   Best Movie That Seemed Like A Good Idea In Pre-Production
jenkins<3 [19|Mar 12:24 AM]:   Best Example of Hollywood Being Imagination Central
jenkins<3 [19|Mar 12:24 AM]:   Movie with Worst Timing of Release if you wanna include worst

wilder

I know not many people here have seen it, but I want to draw some attention to Evelyne Brochu's supporting performance in Tom at the Farm. Think we'll be hearing a lot about this actress in the future.

The movie hasn't been released in the US yet...but was distributed almost everywhere else last year. Does this even count?

jenkins

jb and i are forming a subtle mancrush, at least from my perspective. has anyone noticed his pervasive gentleness and backdoor humor? well if you haven't that's fine with me, 'cause i might propose and i don't need the challengers

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 19, 2015, 12:49:05 PM
BONUS! If you have an idea for a fun category, post that here too, preferably with a couple nominations. If it's good, we may use it.

Some examples from the shoutbox:

jenkins<3: Best Real Life Story That Made A Great Movie

so that's my idea and i like it. could be called Most Beneficial Movie to Efforts of Humanitarianism. that's a bit like us making fun of the oscars in a cinephilic way, which is the undisputed best way to make fun of the oscars

these would be the nominees:

Selma
Mr. Turner
Noah
Foxcatcher
Theory of Everything
The Imitation Game
American Sniper
Unbroken
Wild
Big Eyes

i'm basically "whatever, WHAT, EVER" about these movies in general, but there are good ones, and i think such an award might stir up conversations. like look at that, i included noah, we could chat that up. and if we select the best from the worst, the worst doesn't look so bad at all

i've previously mentioned my nominee for this category:

is

Jude Swanberg in Happy Christmas, who is imo the most interesting character in that movie. i admire his dad for bringing to life the character of his toddler, and we all know that actors desire to achieve the blissful perspective of a child, which is why children themselves tend not to be nominated for awards, but let's be 2015 and everything and admit this child had terrific vibes and personality scene-for-scene in happy christmas, and which nomination will secure our perspective for next year, when we can nominate pete in pete's dragon like goddamn responsible xixax people

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: jenkins<3 on March 19, 2015, 01:53:00 PMjb and i are forming a subtle mancrush, at least from my perspective. has anyone noticed his pervasive gentleness and backdoor humor? well if you haven't that's fine with me, 'cause i might propose and i don't need the challengers

I find your perceptiveness incredibly alluring...

polkablues

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Best Female Performance
Essie Davis - The Babadook

Best Original Music
God Help the Girl

Best Screenplay
The One I Love

Best Debut Film
Dear White People

Best Male Performance
Dan Stevens - The Guest

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I have a legitimate feeling Inherent Vice will win both "Best Film" and "Most Disappointing Film"

Alexandro

Quote from: polkablues on March 19, 2015, 05:36:46 PM
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Best Female Performance
Essie Davis - The Babadook

this. she was astounding.
this is one of those films where you are so scared that half way through you start saying out loud: "why am I doing this to myself?"

Jeremy Blackman

We need some good Documentary nominations. Reelist?

Reel

I really slacked off last year, but dug the Whitey Bulger doc. Same director of Paradise Lost, but it kind of left me underwhelmed with all the dry courtroom stuff.

Citizenfour was great, but we can be more creative than electing that, right?

Also need to see 'Happy Valley' and 'Life Itself'

Kal

BEST FILM

89% Top Critics on RottenTomatoes, Critics Award at Cannes, and Viggo completely crushing it.

Jeremy Blackman

Alright let's get nominating. Come on now. :whip:

Axolotl

Best Actress

Anne Dorval, Mommy

Kangana Ranaut, Queen

Reel

Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher

wilder

I'm in agreement with Reelist that Ruffalo is the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actor. Also consider Jack Kilmer's debut in Palo Alto