The Seventh Victim

Started by Slick Shoes, November 20, 2003, 06:15:37 PM

Slick Shoes

Anybody seen this? I recently read a magazine article praising this film to high heaven. It's a noir-ish horror film directed by Mark Robson, who later went on to do Valley of the Dolls. I'm gonna rent it this weekend for sure... I just thought I'd see if anybody had anything good or bad to say about it.

Slick Shoes

Well, I saw it. Since I don't consider myself to be particularly good at reviewing films in depth, I'll just share with you some of my impressions.

The review I read which triggered my seeking out this movie described it as a noir-ish horror film. I agree to a certain extent. The tone of the The Seventh Victim is not dissimilar to many of the low budget crime dramas that found their way to the screen during the war years. The lighting is fairly baroque. Interestingly enough, that element of darkness doesn't do much in the way of obscuring what I can only assume was a shoestring budget. I don't necessarily see this in a negative light. In fact, in the end I found this to be one of the movie's charms.

I might post more later. There's certainly more to be said.

Slick Shoes

I looked at the article again over lunch. This time more in depth. Interesting, the author made several comments about how he thought the sets looked authentic and how they were difficult to tell apart from real Manhattan locations. I, on the other hand, thought they looked very much like sets, but in a good way. He even pointed out that the staircase we see in the opening scene was a leftover from The Magnificent Ambersons.

More later.