Baby Boy

Started by boombanglarrabee, November 12, 2003, 02:32:47 PM

boombanglarrabee

Has anyone seen this movie?  I thought it was pretty bad.  It comes off as a low budget flick and I find it hard to believe John Singleton doesn't have enough dough to produce a better film.  There were lots of things I either didn't understand or the film didn't represent well.  First of all, I was disappointed that it didn't really follow through with explaining it's claim of why some black men are immature and act like babies.  It's a very provocative discussion and I didn't feel like we got an explanation of why Jodie acted like he did.  Secondly, I just didn't feel like the story was tight enough.  There were lots of little things that didn't really need to be there, like the main characters' best friend having sex while they were on the phone.  It was like, why????  And I had trouble with the whole Snoop Dog story line.  How could Jodie and his friend do that at the end and not get punished?  I mean, I give credit to Singleton for showing Jodies' guilt over the incident, but he just gets off without any punishment?  Don't buy it.  And lastly, it would have been interesting to see Jodie's girlfriend find out what happened between him and her co-worker.  There was a whole story line that just didn't go anywhere, it just ended up being the only real proof we got that Jodie was ready to stay faithful to his girl.  The movie portrayed Jodie's relationship with his girlfriend as a bunch of high school drama.  Anyone's thoughts?

Kal

Sleuth

I never saw it, but I remember seeing a video that was for the soundtrack.  In the beginning some lady was doing this dance that was so fucking hilariously stupid.  That is all.
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

do you mean this cinematic classic:??

...... :wink:

classical gas

i honestly thought it wasn't that bad, actually it was pretty good, imo.  it was different from the usual 'street gangster urban' (i don't really know what to call it, they're all mindless media dubs anyways) flicks.  singelton's 'boyz n the hood' was much better though.  at least BB is better than most of his other movies ('shaft' and '2 fast 2 furious')

Ghostboy

I thought it was good, too. The whole Snoop Dogg storyline completely sunk it, though.

classical gas

well, i haven't seen it in a while...i don't remember being too bothered by his storyline.  did you find that they directed the story towards the violence and gang aspect?  if so, i could see that as being a distraction.

oakmanc234

Didn't think too much of it the first time but really, really enjoyed it the second time. Loved Snoop Dogg's asshole character and the routine profanity-laced dialogue

"Nigga, concentrate on not droppin the soap you bitch-ass nigga"

Love that stuff......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

boombanglarrabee

Quote from: classical gasdid you find that they directed the story towards the violence and gang aspect?  if so, i could see that as being a distraction.

Kind of.  I mean, that's what Singleton seems to write a lot about.  I didn't find fault with the storyline in that aspect though.  It's as interesting a topic as any.