CHICAGO

Started by RegularKarate, January 11, 2003, 11:10:48 PM

RegularKarate

Duck Sauce

Could you elaborate?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Duck SauceCould you elaborate?

I suppose I could.

Jeremy Blackman

Phew. I really wanted to see that movie and never got the chance. This is definitely good news.

bonanzataz

Is this a real movie or did they just put together a trailer, pay all the critics to say it's the best movie of the year, pay all the people involved to say it really happened, but they never really made an actual film? It seems that way, because, where the hell is it?

That would be a pretty funny thing to do to people though. Once I get my 20th million I'll blow it all on advertising for a movie i never made.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Quote from: bonanzatazIs this a real movie or did they just put together a trailer, pay all the critics to say it's the best movie of the year, pay all the people involved to say it really happened, but they never really made an actual film? It seems that way, because, where the hell is it?

That would be a pretty funny thing to do to people though. Once I get my 20th million I'll blow it all on advertising for a movie i never made.

Same with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Cant find that anywhere. Chicago is playing here in the SF Bay Area.

RegularKarate

It played here a couple weeks back for one week only for some reason.  Like they really think it's that good.

Thing is people are gonna like this movie and it's garbage.
It was boring and while it did have a couple of impressive numbers, it was pretty lifeless.

Zellwigger (SP?) is excruciatingly lifeless and Richard Gere is completely obnoxious and while a lot of people will argue about the importance of story in this one, why is it that the only character you can sympathize with gets shit on fucked over in the end.

And they gave JCR the worst song in the whole film and that's saying alot seeing as how the majority of the film's songs were the same boring shit over and over.

MacGuffin

I found it alright. The problem I had with it was that in some of the musical numbers, it was as if they just filmed the stage version. The movie seemed to stop as they did their number. I mean, it had wonderful choreography and lighting, but if I want that I'll see it at the Dorothy Chandler. Also, the musical numbers were too close to each other, not letting the story breathe a little. The best numbers were where they incorporated the dancing with the scenes the songs reflected (the courtroom scenes, for example).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

As far as musicals go, I prefer Dancer in the Dark and Everybody Says I Love You (depending on my mood). Screw the 50's.    all these smileys, and no foot-in-mouth

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinI found it alright. The problem I had with it was that in some of the musical numbers, it was as if they just filmed the stage version. The movie seemed to stop as they did their number. I mean, it had wonderful choreography and lighting, but if I want that I'll see it at the Dorothy Chandler. Also, the musical numbers were too close to each other, not letting the story breathe a little. The best numbers were where they incorporated the dancing with the scenes the songs reflected (the courtroom scenes, for example).

So how would you compare it to Moulin Rouge? I haven't seen Chicago yet, but what I liked about Moulin Rouge was that it really felt like Broadway. I think you can definetly say that Moulin Rouge is the film closest to a theater experience. The camera was everywhere, you didn't feel like they just filmed people on a stage, but it still had a very theatrical feel to it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4dSo how would you compare it to Moulin Rouge? I haven't seen Chicago yet, but what I liked about Moulin Rouge was that it really felt like Broadway. I think you can definetly say that Moulin Rouge is the film closest to a theater experience. The camera was everywhere, you didn't feel like they just filmed people on a stage, but it still had a very theatrical feel to it.

"Chicago" actually films them on stage. For example, Queen Latifah plays the prison warden and is introduced  in "character." CUT TO: her number about who she is literally performed on a stage. She mingles with the audience and they clap when her number is over. BACK TO: her in the prison.

There's no comparison, "Moulin Rouge" was FAR better. It was everything you said; you felt a part of the experience.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

What's your favorite musical ever? I'd have to say Bye Bye Birdie or Grease 2... just because.

Dancer in the Dark doesn't count. Too depressing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Singin in the Rain

RegularKarate

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazWhat's your favorite musical ever? I'd have to say Bye Bye Birdie or Grease 2... just because.

Toss up between "Singing In The Rain" and "West Side Story"

I too am fond of "Bye Bye Birdie", but also:
"Umbrellas Of Cherbourg"
"Tommy"
"Moulin Rouge"
"Grease"

Skeleton FilmWorks