Another Xixax Film Festival?

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, April 11, 2004, 08:39:24 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I suggest we do another one.  Who's with me?

I think a Big Lebowski one would be cool.

Or maybe a Kill Bill one before Volume 2 comes out.

What'd you guys think?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

Tictacbk

I'm all for it.  I first found out about XIXAX just before the PTA film festival.

Gold Trumpet

Sounds good to me. Spring and summer are pretty open considering the usual XIXAX happenings that take place at the end and beginning of the year. I suggest a summer film festival with everyone nominating 5 essential summer films and then votes tabulated to find the top 7 summer films. The 7 films can be shown over the course of a week going in order of 7th place to 1st place. It'll create anticipation for the film most voted for.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSounds good to me. Spring and summer are pretty open considering the usual XIXAX happenings that take place at the end and beginning of the year. I suggest a summer film festival with everyone nominating 5 essential summer films and then votes tabulated to find the top 7 summer films. The 7 films can be shown over the course of a week going in order of 7th place to 1st place. It'll create anticipation for the film most voted for.

Would there be a criteria of "has to take place in the summer" or "has to have a summer mood".  I guess I just don't know how to define a summer movie.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSounds good to me. Spring and summer are pretty open considering the usual XIXAX happenings that take place at the end and beginning of the year. I suggest a summer film festival with everyone nominating 5 essential summer films and then votes tabulated to find the top 7 summer films. The 7 films can be shown over the course of a week going in order of 7th place to 1st place. It'll create anticipation for the film most voted for.

Would there be a criteria of "has to take place in the summer" or "has to have a summer mood".  I guess I just don't know how to define a summer movie.

Both. Some movies set in summer make no effort to highlight the specific joy that takes place in the summer season. A perfect example of an actual summer film is Stand By Me. An example of one that is not is In The Company of Men, a film that talks about the 4th of July but obviously is about other things.

pete

george washington.  that's like the perfect xixax movie that no one can hate.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

It makes no difference to me what we do, but hey, wouldn't it be fun to do the top 5 films of the Dekapenticon?

1. Magnolia
2. 2001
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Taxi Driver
5. Citizen Kane

SHAFTR

I think it'd be interested to do a film festival on a specific film movement.  Ie Italian Neo-Realism, French New Wave, Soviet Montage (maybe not a good idea), perhaps 70s American Cinema.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: SHAFTRI think it'd be interested to do a film festival on a specific film movement.  Ie Italian Neo-Realism, French New Wave, Soviet Montage (maybe not a good idea), perhaps 70s American Cinema.
I would second this in a heartbeat.. however, not a lot of people on here have access to those films.

Kal

Quote from: Cinebunny
Quote from: SHAFTRI think it'd be interested to do a film festival on a specific film movement.  Ie Italian Neo-Realism, French New Wave, Soviet Montage (maybe not a good idea), perhaps 70s American Cinema.
I would second this in a heartbeat.. however, not a lot of people on here have access to those films.

what do you mean... most of the important ones are available on DVD somewhere... to buy/rent... We have to choose the ones that are available... otherwise whats the point  :shock:  :?  8)

cine

Quote from: the great andykmost of the important ones are available on DVD somewhere... to buy/rent...
Speak for yourself.

Kal

Quote from: Cinebunny
Quote from: the great andykmost of the important ones are available on DVD somewhere... to buy/rent...
Speak for yourself.

Well... I speak for most of the people in here who have seen almost every film you can think of... thats the majority... and unless you live in another planet you can get almost any DVD in any city... or with NetFlix they have also whatever you want... shit even Blockbuster has a lot of old movies from that time... at least the ones we could use that are well known...

cine

Quote from: the great andykWell... I speak for most of the people in here who have seen almost every film you can think of... thats the majority... and unless you live in another planet you can get almost any DVD in any city... or with NetFlix they have also whatever you want... shit even Blockbuster has a lot of old movies from that time... at least the ones we could use that are well known...
Hm. Another planet. Let's see. Well in case you haven't noticed at all from visiting Xixax every day, I live in Ontario, Canada. Not in Toronto. A small town over an hour away. You think they have a place where I can rent a good foreign film that would be shown for an Xixax movie night? And I said I live in Canada, so in case you forgot, that would cancel out NetFlix. Blockbuster has fuck all here.

You know sometimes I really hate when people pry like this. Like when they don't just give up and trust me when I think I know my own hometown.

Weak2ndAct

So... yeah, I'm down for Kill Bill on Thursday night if anyone else is.