I love The Smashing Pumpkins. What else would I like?

Started by Teddy, May 27, 2003, 11:54:21 AM

Teddy

The Pumpkins are great, but they are basically all I've listened to consitantly for years.  I need something else to fill my brain with.  You guys know the Pumpkins, so you have an idea of my sensibilities.  Point me in the right direction.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

Sleuth

I really don't know, I've heard a lot of people call some bands "Smashing Pumpkins-esque" but nothing really clicks
I like to hug dogs

children with angels

It depends on what side of the Pumpkins sound you're more into, I guess... I mean you can love all their stuff, but I know I for one generally prefer the more mellow, sweet side - although they have obviously written some superb hard rock too (for some reason though it's only on Melon Collie where I consistently enjoy the rockier tracks).

If you like the rockier side, then I guess you could tip over into metal like the Deftones or something, if the more mellow stuff floats your anchor then maybe Bright Eyes (wonderful wonderful band) or something similar...

I don't know though: I generally don't like the stuff that gets compared to them, so it's all very personal.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Teddy

Quote from: mogwaiTeddy, do you really need to start another thread about the Pumpkins?  Cheers.

To quote your signature, Mogwai, "Yes".  This is a completely different question and it's not specifically concerning the Pumpkins.  Plus, concidering the title of my last thread, I doubt I'd get people actually answering my question, but people just talking about how much they love the Pumpkins.  To get an answer to my question on the other thread would require everyone to read that particular post and then respond.

I'm sorry if this thread is to Pumpkins for you, but I need an answer to my question.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

godardian

If you don't yet have NewOrderGetReady, you'll want to pick that up. New Order were apparently a huge influence on Corgan, given his very obvious presence on this album (he plays guitar and virtually duets on a couple of the tunes).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

I need more info. in order to do a useful recommend:

- Which Pumpkins album do you like best?; do you want to hear a different band that sounds like that album?

- What are you into right now?

- What have you recently heard and hated?

- Sigur Ros: Yea or nay?

- Tool: Yea or nay?

- Blur: Yea or nay?

- Bjork: Yea or nay?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Mesh- Sigur Ros: Yea or nay?

YEA
YEA
yea
YEA
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Mesh- Sigur Ros: Yea or nay?

Quote from: P™
YEA
YEA
yea
YEA

Same here... also:

Smashing Pumpkins : Nay

sexterossa

I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Sleuth

I actually can't stand MBV.  It feels like it burns my head
I like to hug dogs

polkablues

Quote from: polkabluesAbandoned Pools

Black Lab

Remy Zero

Ours

Also Our Lady Peace.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Quote from: tremoloslothIt feels like it burns my head

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

"Tastes like burning" was my reaction when I first drank tequila but that's another story
I like to hug dogs

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection