SONGS REGARDING THE MOVIES

Started by godardian, May 17, 2003, 06:43:28 PM

godardian

Not songs infilms, mind you. Just songs ABOUT films.

"Girls on Film" - Duran Duran

"Filmstar" - Suede

"Celluloid Heroes" - The Kinks

"Kissability" - Sonic Youth

"Deeper Into Film" - Yo La Tengo (I can't tell if it's really about movies, but the title seems to be some sort of homage to Kael's Deeper Into Movies).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

Newtron

"Cinematography" - Tristeza.

Dirk

Quote from: Newtron"Cinematography" - Tristeza.

:yabbse-thumbup:    
Do you listen to Album Leaf?

As for titles, there is From Bone to Satellite by Tarentel, which is a reference to 2001.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

children with angels

Well, you've got the obvious:
Exit Music (For a film) and Motion Picture Soundtrack

and also:
Movie (never made) - Silver Mount Zion

One of the most beautiful songs they've written - just... Beautiful. I don't think it's really about movies though.

And does this count?:
Stanley Kubrick - Mogwai

No words here, so who can tell what it's really about, but it always gives me the vibe of 2001.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

BonBon85

Aphex Twin's "Film" is beautiful, but, as with the mogwai song previously listed, I don't know if it counts.

Blur's "Look Inside America" isn't all about movies but I've always loved the line "Annie Hall leaves New York in the end, but you push rewind and Woody gets her back again".

godardian

Quote from: BonBon85Aphex Twin's "Film" is beautiful, but, as with the mogwai song previously listed, I don't know if it counts.

Blur's "Look Inside America" isn't all about movies but I've always loved the line "Annie Hall leaves New York in the end, but you push rewind and Woody gets her back again".

I've always liked that song, but I've never made out that line.  :oops: I'm going back to listen to it again right now.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

"Cracked Actor" - David Bowie

children with angels

"Bonbon85: Blur's look inside America"

That's so beautiful! I've never heard that track - I must do now: I had no idea Damon Albarn had such good taste in movies...!

Isn't the Aphex track called "flim"?

Recently remembered: Billy Bragg - "Ingrid Bergman"
"We always do..."

RegularKarate

"Rivers" by Skinny Puppy (homage to kubrick mainly)

Newtron

Quote from: DirkDo you listen to Album Leaf?
I do now!  :-D

godardian

"Pretty Baby" - Blondie

I'm pretty sure the song is about Brooke Shields and the movie that launched her film-stardom.

It also references La Dolce Vita and "Incense and Peppermints."

From the very same album: "Fade Away and Radiate," which is a song about cinephilia (and possibly James Dean), pure and simple.

Both fantastic songs. Anyone else think Blondie is too often reduced to "That band that did 'Heart of Glass' and 'Call Me'"? I mean, for a while they were doing some really consistently great pop music.

Anyway, those are their two big movie songs. Off Parallel Lines.

Also: Pulp's "TV Movie." Sort of.

Dirk

Quote from: NewtronI do now!  :-D

Listen to "The MP". Great track.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Xixax

One of my favorites: "I Paid My Money" by Ben Folds / Fear of Pop:

turn up the music
thanks!

I paid my money
and I'm gonna see all the movie
I paid my money

and it's gonna be good
I'm telling you people
it's gonna be real good,
'cause I paid my money
I paid my money

bring it on!
yeah!

I see people leaving early
they don't know what they're missing,
they don't know what they're missing —
they're missing half the movie

and I'll not be screwed —
I'll not be screwed
like the people leaving early,
'cause I paid my money,
I paid my money

I paid!
I paid!
I paid!

roll up the windows

I hear a tale about a store
where pain's for free
and if I ask for more
I don't pay my money

and it's terrible pain
and it's all for free
and if I ask for more
they're gonna give it to me

[I'll not be screwed]
I'll not be screwed
[I'll not be screwed]
[like the people leaving early]
[I'll not be screwed]

funky bass
yeah!
ho!

[you're living in a fantasy world]
[?]
[I made an investment]

I paid my money
[I paid my money]
I paid my money
[I paid my money]

and it's gonna be good
[it's gonna be good!]
and I'm telling you people
it's gonna be real good,
'cause I paid my money
[I paid my money]
I paid my money
[I paid!]

[I paid!]
I paid
[I paid!]
I paid
[I paid!]
I paid

I paid my money
I paid my money
I paid my money
and I saw it all
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

children with angels

I love that track! Really should've thought of that one... The whole Fear of Pop album feels kind of like a movie. William Shatner's is my favourite: that's one of my favourite songs...

I've had the idea for a while: how cool would it be to make a whole album as if it is the soundtrack of a movie that will never be made - literally, just the sound from a movie with dialogue and everything, but with the music being particularly prominent I guess. Have a whole story maybe... Or maybe just random scenes... Whatever - I think it would be great. I could start a whole new artform!

Does anyone know if anything like this already exits? It feels like the kind of idea that should've been done by now...
"We always do..."