Author Topic: WHERE IS JOHN WATERS AND RUSS MEYER?  (Read 6471 times)

Cecil

WHERE IS JOHN WATERS AND RUSS MEYER?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »
i was watching "musique plus" (which is the "mtv of here) and the guy said that the next john waters film was called "live freaky die freaky" and that it was comming out soon. well they got their info fucked, but this live freaky die freaky thing seems cool. anyone know anything about it?

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »
Quote from: Cecil, who doesn't visit as much as he should,
live freaky die freaky thing seems cool. anyone know anything about it?

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article598.html

http://www.livefreakydiefreaky.com/
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

• Electrician
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 10:52:17 AM »
for anybody who cares and is in the NYC area, sunday is the last day of the John Waters exhibit at the new museum. they're showing his old black and white shorts that haven't screened in a LONG time and it's impossible to find copies. i'll be there on saturday.

www.newmuseum.org
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil’s rain we’ll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, ’cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, ’cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put ’em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put ’em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
Waters Thrilled by Catholic Church Blast at Film

Filmmaker John Waters is thrilled at the review given to his latest film A Dirty Shame from the Catholic News Service - despite it lambasting the movie for being "crude". The cult director's comedic story about sex addicts - starring Tracey Ullman, Johnny Knoxville and Selma Blair - has been met with harsh criticism by the organization, much to the delight of Waters. The review complains, "(The film features) almost non-stop rough, crude and profane language, full frontal nudity, sexual imagery, obscene gestures, scatological humor, casual portrayal and descriptions of deviant sexual practices, a glorification of freewheeling sex and some sacrilegious imagery." Waters tells gossip site Pagesix.Com, "I don't know if I can get a better review than that."
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +773
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2004, 12:45:02 AM »
whatever, they cry at anything.

as long as he stops pussying around and makes a good movie again..
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

Chest Rockwell

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2004, 10:08:23 AM »
That's a really cool avatar.

MacGuffin

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 04:53:52 PM »
Scary Christmas from John Waters
New Line Records has A John Waters Christmas, a new CD from the eccentric filmmaker, available in stores and online.

Filmmaker John Waters has turned his attention to record making, recording and releasing A John Waters Christmas just in time for this holiday season. Waters claims he "channels the eccentric spirit of Christmas through the most heartfelt but truly outlandish holiday songs recorded."

In his liner notes on the New Line Records release, Waters writes, "Close your eyes and imagine you're with me in my house Christmas morning listening to favorite carols." He acknowledges this is not exactly a Dickensian thought.

Titles include "Santa Claus Is a Black Man" and "Here Comes Fatty Claus," in addition to Little Cindy's "Happy Birthday Jesus," Roger Christian's orphan ode "Little Mary Christmas," the soulful sounds of Fat Daddy's "Fat Daddy (Is Santa Claus)" and Big Dee Irwin and Little Eva's "I Wish You a Merry Christmas."

A John Waters Christmas is now available in stores and online.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

• Admin
Re: WHERE IS JOHN WATERS AND RUSS MEYER?
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
Director John Waters recalls career of bad taste

Director John Waters, self-confessed king of all things tasteless and tacky, celebrates a life spent shocking audiences and mocking the movie world in a film version of his stand-up act.

In "This Filthy World," Waters delivers a rapid-fire monologue about life in film, from his first home-made picture "Hag in a Black Leather Jacket," reportedly costing $30, to international fame for cross-dressing classic "Hairspray."

The "Pope of Trash" was in Berlin this week to present the film, and the laughter and applause at a packed screening late on Monday showed his cult following spreads well beyond the shores of his native America.

The moustachioed 60-year-old ruminates on everything from shop-lifting as a boy to battles with movie censors, and from how to make voting more attractive to young people to what is wrong with capital punishment.

"I am against it (capital punishment) for the reason that I'm afraid I'll get it," he quipped. "We all have bad nights."

He also had advice to gay people trying too hard to act as they feel they ought to.

"You don't have to like Liza Minnelli," Waters told a live audience at a U.S. college where "This Filthy World" was shot over two nights. "And S & M does look stupid on the beach."

When he was younger, Waters said he used to tour courtrooms across the United States to get ideas for his films, and he and other members of the public would boast to each other about which famous cases they had watched.

One woman topped them all, however, when she told him: "I was at Nuremberg," referring to the trial of leading German Nazis after World War Two.

The arch-provocateur also recalls his long collaboration with Divine, the obese, cross-dressing star of many of his movies including "Pink Flamingos," which includes the infamous scene where his character eats dog feces.

"I'm not a sadist, it was only one take," joked the director.

Another of their collaborations was "Polyester," where audiences were given scratch-n-sniff cards so they could smell what they saw on film.

Asked if his movies had become tame over time, and whether he would return to the more cutting edge pictures of the past, Waters told the audience after the film was shown:

"I never want to go backwards and do something I did before. If I wanted to do what I did at the very beginning I wouldn't be here any more."

He was also asked if wanted to make a spoof of a science fiction movie, one of the genres he had yet to tackle. "That's the only genre I could never do," he said. "I don't get it."

And his next venture? A "very weird" children's movie for "special children and their even more special parents."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
From cult to kid movies. Has John Waters mellowed?

After years as a cult filmmaker specializing in all things tasteless and weird, John Waters has edged closer to the mainstream with two recent projects -- a children's film and starring role in a TV drama.

Over the past four decades, Waters, 60, has gradually moved from underground movies to more commercial films, acting, screenwriting and photography, and this year will shoot a "terribly wonderful children's Christmas adventure called 'Fruitcake."'

One of his best-known films, "Hairspray," is headed back to the big screen in a New Line Cinema remake starring John Travolta.

While Waters is enjoying more mainstream acceptance, one thing has not changed -- his fascination for the macabre, which attracted him to another project, playing the narrator, or "Groom Reaper," in a Court TV cable series dramatizing real-life murderous marriages.

"I'm known for humor that makes people a bit nervous, but I'm never mean spirited. I've done horror but with a wink," Waters told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Have I gone more mainstream? I think the general public has changed more than I, but you do have to reinvent yourself," he said.

Waters said his work still causes a stir, even though it may no longer be quite so shocking as the notorious scene at the end of his 1972 film "Pink Flamingos" in which the obese, cross-dressing lead character eats dog feces.

As an example, he cites his 2004 movie "A Dirty Shame," about a suburban housewife who becomes a sex addict after she is hit on the head.

"It was a huge censorship hassle," Waters recalled.

But a children's movie?

"Children have always enjoyed my movies. They are just not allowed to watch many of them," he said.

Waters expects his fans to enjoy the dark humor in the 13-part TV true-crime drama series "Til Death Do Us Part," which debuts on Court TV on March 19, featuring a different story each week that always ends in murder by one of the spouses.

Waters said the role of the moderator was irresistible to him because since an early age he had been intrigued by crime and what leads ordinary people to do something terrible. He used to spend days in courtrooms watching trials until he kept being recognized.

"It's a sardonic part in a TV show that is about a serious topic. Everyone has that moment when they say one little thing that really gets on your nerves," he said.

"The stories we do are all based on regular people. These are the people who live in your neighborhood and had a wedding as optimistic as you did. The main question is why they did not get divorced.

"Stay single and stay alive. That's my theory."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
Johnny Knoxville, Parker Posey join 'Fruitcake'
John Waters' film may go to ThinkFilm
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Johnny Knoxville and Parker Posey are attached to star in John Waters' Christmas film "Fruitcake."

The plot is officially under wraps but is said to center on the title character, a boy named after his favorite dessert. He runs away from home during the holidays after he and his parents are caught shoplifting meat, then meets up with a runaway girl raised by two gay men and searching for her birth mother.

This Is That Prods. and Killer Films are producing "Fruitcake," which once was set up at New Line. ThinkFilm is said to be in talks to come aboard.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

• the golden goddess
  • The Return Threshold
  • you ever hear the story of mr. faded glory?
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 02:10:15 AM »
who likes movies anyway

wilder

• Respect: +1641
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
Will Ferrell Circles Russ Meyer Role In ‘Russ & Roger Go Beyond;’ Who’ll Play Ebert?
via Deadline

Will Ferrell is circling to play softcore film producer Russ Meyer in a movie about the time he collaborated with film critic Roger Ebert to make Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. The indie project is taking shape quickly. Filmmakers including Edgar Wright are intrigued, as are actors who might play the late Ebert, a strong role for anyone from Jonah Hill to Seth Rogen and others. Mark Amin’s Sobini Films and David Permut and Richard Waltzer are producing Russ & Roger Go Beyond, a script by Emmy-winning Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons scribe Christopher Cluess. Ferrell still has to make a deal, but he puts this on a fast track and the hope is to shoot early next year.

The script focus is the late 1960s, when cheap counterculture films like Easy Rider were minting money, and 20th Century Fox was struggling mightily over a number of big-budget flops. Meyer was already established as the outlaw helmer of softcore pulp films like Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill, and he wanted the legitimacy of making a studio film. Richard Zanuck, then head of 20th, gave him that opportunity because his profit margins were so high and his costs were minuscule.

When Meyer agreed to take on Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, he insisted the script get written by Ebert, the third-string movie critic of the Chicago Sun Times who had written one of the few positive reviews Meyer had ever received. Given the esteem in which Ebert was held as a film critic when he died, it seems remarkable he meshed so well with Meyer and his brigade of buxom actresses. The film will follow that relationship, and the struggle with the ratings board. It became the rare major studio release with an X rating, but it became a big profitable hit and Meyer and Ebert stayed close until the former died in 2004. Ebert passed away two years ago. Ferrell, who most recently starred with Kevin Hart in the Etan Cohen-directed comedy Get Hard, is repped by CAA and Mosaic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is different than David O. Russel's apparently defunct biopic, as The Playlist reports:

Quote from: The Playlist
Hollywood has been trying to bring the saga of Russ Meyer on the big screen. Way back in 2011, David O. Russell was planning a Russ Meyer biopic, written by “Lovelace” screenwriter Merritt Johnson, but that seems to have disappeared.

wilder

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »
+1
Josh Gad to Play Roger Ebert in STX’s ‘Russ & Roger’
9/1/15
via Variety

Josh Gad has closed a deal to play the legendary film critic Roger Ebert in the STX Entertainment comedy “Russ & Roger.”

Will Ferrell is on board to play sexploitation maestro Russ Meyer, with Michael Winterbottom directing. Gad had been in talks to star for some time, contingent on scheduling.

A debauched comedy in which truth is crazier than fiction, the film is an outrageous look at two no-holds-barred outsiders who defied the Hollywood establishment to make one of the first X-rated films ever released by a major movie studio (“Beyond the Valley of the Dolls”) — having the party of a lifetime in the process.

The film is being produced by Mark Amin’s Sobini Films and David Permut’s Permut Presentations along with Richard Waltzer. The script was penned by Emmy-winning “Saturday Night Live” and “The Simpsons” scribe Christopher Cluess, with Winterbottom, Neil Gibbons and Rob Gibbons doing a polish.

Production is set to start later this year.

Gad was most recently seen in Screen Gems’ “The Wedding Ringer” and Sony’s “Pixels” and is also lending his voice to the DreamWorks Animation pic “Me and My Shadow.”

He is also expected to voice a character in Sony Animation’s “Angry Birds” movie and will play LeFou in Disney’s live-action retelling of “Beauty and the Beast,” set to bow in March 2017.

He is repped by WME and Brillstein Entertainment.

wilder

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 02:57:21 AM »
+1

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1395
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
**** a John Waters Criterion video has happened ****

Every perspective is an act of creation.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy