The new Orson Welles?

Started by Spike, August 23, 2003, 07:15:01 AM

Find Your Magali

markums2k wrote:

QuoteI wonder what Brett Ratner would do in a situation like this...?

Don't worry, whatever Ratner did, you'd be able to handle it, because it would be something you'd seen before...

Ravi

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI'd like to see a successful director so comfortable with his accomplishments that some day he'd be able to laugh at his early work (if it is laughable) and release it for the public to enjoy.

M. Night Shyamalan.  I'd like to see Robert Rodriguez's early works, besides Bedhead.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI'd like to see a successful director so comfortable with his accomplishments that some day he'd be able to laugh at his early work (if it is laughable) and release it for the public to enjoy.

Brett Ratner has included his shorts on the Red Dragon and Rush Hour 1 & 2 DVDs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jasper_window

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: jasper_window
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaOr about Spike Lee until you've seen Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads (though I realize he's used this movie as inspiration for later works).

Have you seen this?  I've always wanted to see it and figured it wasn't available.  I got a few PTA shorts off Ebay and the quality sucked so I haven't bothered pursuing any others.
Nope, sadly.  I figure it's one of those holy grail type films a director doesn't want you to see.  Though this one, like Scorsese's work at NYU, is supposed to be very good.  I'd like to see a successful director so comfortable with his accomplishments that some day he'd be able to laugh at his early work (if it is laughable) and release it for the public to enjoy.  That'd be nice with PTA, too, though I know some people here have seen his early stuff (namely The Dirk Diggler Story) and said it wasn't too great.

I saw The Dirk Diggler Story and it isn't great, but considering he made when he was 17 (I believe) it's pretty good, if you look at it that way.  I also saw Cigarettes and Coffe and that is good.  I saw the 2 back to back and you can see how much he learned and grew in the years in between.  I agree with you, it'd be real nice to see some of the filmmakers early work, good, or bad.  Joe's Bed-Stuy is definitely at the top of my list.

kotte

The guys who do not wish to share their earlier work are often young and maybe a little bit insecure...

I'm not saying PTA and Ratner are insecure but they may inhabit some insecurities...

This could be complete bull...but it's a theory anyway.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: filmcritic

Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" is not a very good film.

.. :shock: .What are you taling about?!!!!!!!  Thats ridiculous to say that..Maybe you have not even seen it b/c it you have and you have decent tastes in film you would not have said this...Short Cuts is genius..

and he's no wells...thats comparing apples and oranges.. its  like comparing lynch to spike lee..You don't they are both great and have their own style..

filmcritic

I would love to know what is so GREAT about "Short Cuts". I mean, the ending completly leaves you wanting more and the story just goes on at a tedious pace. I don't think it's a really bad film, just not a great one. I thought the performances were excellent and Altman did give many fresh ideas, but I didn't feel that all of them worked. Overall, a decent film.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

aclockworkjj

Quote from: filmcriticI would love to know what is so GREAT about "Short Cuts".
Julianne Moore....no pants.

Pedro

Brett Ratner is to PTA what Ed Wood is to Orson Welles

Alethia

Quote from: Pedro the WombatBrett Ratner is to PTA what Ed Wood is to Orson Welles

ed wood was a genius who never recieved the funds his visions deserved.  

that might just be a nice thought, but i hope its true.

blackmamba

I enjoy ed wood.

Spike

Quote from: Pedro the WombatBrett Ratner is to PTA what Ed Wood is to Orson Welles

Probably some day, when Ratner once more has problems with making his films, he'll go into a bar, meet his big idol PTA and aks him for advise.  :-D
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Find Your Magali

Quote from: MacGuffinBrett Ratner has included his shorts on the Red Dragon and Rush Hour 1 & 2 DVDs.

His short films or, literally, his "shorts," as in the clothing he wears under his expensive pants?  :wink: