Spike Jonze (and now Megan Ellison)

Started by Teddy, May 23, 2003, 11:20:41 PM

Teddy

Why is this guy not on the director's list?  He and writer Charlie Kauffman are geniuses.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

godardian

Quote from: TeddyWhy is this guy not on the director's list?  He and writer Charlie Kauffman are geniuses.

That's tricky territory... too subjective. There would be too many "geniuses" to satisfy everyone, so I think they've built a sort of blah but stable consensus. I'm not happy with it, but we can talk about whoever we want in "The Director's Chair," so it's not really that restrictive. We can stick up for the real geniuses, here.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Teddy

So what do you guys think of Jonze's two masterpices?  Do you prefer BEING JOHN MALKOVICH or ADAPTATION?  They are both so great.

MacGuffin

Quote from: TeddySo what do you guys think of Jonze's two masterpices?  Do you prefer BEING JOHN MALKOVICH or ADAPTATION?  They are both so great.

I turning the thread into a poll. Hope you don't mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Teddy

Quote from: MacGuffinI turning the thread into a poll. Hope you don't mind.

No, I don't mind at all.  I was actually beginning to wish I had started it as a poll in the first place.

At any rate, my pick is ADAPTATION.  It's darker and in the end it rings more emotionally true than MALKOVICH.

Dirk

I also voted for Adaptation, although BJM is also great.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Cecil

i voted for being

Victor

malcovich. looks better, has more replay value, and is a lot wierder, though i love adaptation.
are you gonna eat with us too?

©brad

yea, but i dont think enough credit is given to spike. i mean you could have the best script in the world- a shitty director can mess it up real good. on the contrary, a good director can take a mediocre script and make a good movie. (8 Mile) So, uhhh.... hrm.... lost my train of thought... don't know where to go from here... ahh....uhhh....fuck it.

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: cbrad4dyea, but i dont think enough credit is given to spike. i mean you could have the best script in the world- a shitty director can mess it up real good. on the contrary, a good director can take a mediocre script and make a good movie. (8 Mile) So, uhhh.... hrm.... lost my train of thought... don't know where to go from here... ahh....uhhh....fuck it.

I could be wrong, but I believe you were about to bring up the fact that Anthony Hopkins lost out the lead role of Adaptation to Nicolas Cage.

Ernie

Gotta go with his "Praise You" dance crew doc. Love it.

children with angels

Just reinstated the tie- had to go with Being John. I absolutely loved Adaptation on first viewing - the subject matter is one I just lap up (as a writer attempting to deal with similar themes), but on a second viewing I actually found myself getting rather bored for most of the time Streep was onscreen. Loved Cage's parts, not so much the rest.

BJM on the other hand I was disappointed with at first, but the more I watched it the better it got. I think there's more of a simbiosis of writer and director on that film. None of it bores me at all. The third act - much criticised - I originally disliked, but came to love: the sadness of it, the goddamn tragedy of it. The final image is so beautiful, so understated, so sad. I actually think it's a much darker film: there's really no hope at the end, whereas Adaptation's conclusion is all about the hope. Also the final shot of Adapatation reminds me too much of The Player.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Duck Sauce

As much as Id love to see Kauffman-Jonze movie every year, I am equally curious to see Jonze direct something not from him just to see where he stands

ShanghaiOrange

The video for "Buddy Holly" is the most genius thing Spike Jonze has done.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Cecil

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThe video for "Buddy Holly" is the most genius thing Spike Jonze has done.

no, sabotage