Jim Jarmusch

Started by Tommy Both, February 06, 2003, 05:22:56 PM

LostEraser

Quote from: kotteWhat's the Waits song ín the beginning called?

In the beginning of Coffee and Cigarettes?? I can't even remember if there was a Waits song then. Or are you tallking about Down By Law?
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

kotte

Haha...how could I forget what movie I'm talking about´?? :?

Night on Earth.

Just Withnail

Quote from: themodernage02Murray & Jarmusch to Reteam on a Comedy

How the hell did I miss this? Man, that headline is an anticipation maker if there ever was one.

meatball

Just bought this mutha. It's going to rock my world.

ShanghaiOrange

Jockey Full of Bourbon

and Tango 'Til They're Sore plays during the credits.

Those are both off of Rain Dogs.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

kotte

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange

Jockey Full of Bourbon

and Tango 'Til They're Sore plays during the credits.

Those are both off of Rain Dogs.

Danke...

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateHe's not for everyone, but man, if you get his shit, you should check all those films out.
i guess i just dont get his shit, because last night i watched Stranger Than Paradise and Down By Law and didnt really think either was very good.  it just seems to me that a movie should either have something going for it.  what that thing is, i'm completely open to. but if it doesnt have one of the following...

A. plot-based
B. character-based
C. dialogue-based

he has none of this.  i dont mind watching a movie that where not much happens as long as there is at least some good/interesting dialogue going on (a la some of Linklaters movies), but really there are only a handful of interesting moments in either of these films.  his films just sort of lay there without saying anything.  its not that i mind him as a director, because the situations and obviously cinematography are good but the writing is pretty terrible.  you have to really struggle to find something redeeming about the movies and that shouldnt be.  i just feel like these movies are pretty dim and theres not much going on for you to grab onto.  i didnt hate either but just thought they werent very noteworthy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Jarmusch film rates four stars
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swinton and Chloe Sevigny are joining the cast of director Jim Jarmusch's untitled movie that is to begin shooting next month. Bill Murray is already on board. Details of the script are being kept under wraps. The film will shoot in upstate New York and is expected to be budgeted at $8 million-$10 million. The film will be co-produced by Jarmusch and Jean Labadie's Bac Films, which has picked up French and Benelux rights to the picture. Bac co-produced Jarmusch's "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Squeo

Those two songs he said are the beginning and closing songs of Down By Law, they aren't the ones played in Night On Earth.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinDetails of the script are being kept under wraps.
Chloe Sevigny spills a few details about the new Jarmusch movie in an interview at JoBlo...

JoBlo: You're working on a Jim Jarmusch film - is that done yet?

Chloe: I've finsihed it but I only play a small part. I did a short film with him a couple years ago that was part of a full-length feature called TEN MINUTES OLDER. It was ten or twelve short films by different directors compiled into one. We have a really good, strong relationship. He's the only director that I've maintained a relationship with. He even calls on Christmas. He said, "All the parts are for older women, but I have a small part, would you please do it?" I just adore him and his movies. It stars Bill Murray and it has a large cast of these incredible women. I play a secretary to Jessica Lange. It was fun, I worked a few days. The movie's going to be good.

JoeBlo:What's the story about?

Chloe: Bill Murray is kind of this Don Juan character. He gets this mysterious letter and goes on this hunt. It's kind of a detective story but in a Jim Jarmusch kind of way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02
Chloe: Bill Murray is kind of this Don Juan character. He gets this mysterious letter and goes on this hunt. It's kind of a detective story but in a Jim Jarmusch kind of way.
amazing how this little tid bit lets off rays of excitement.
that's Jarmusch for ya.

modage

Quote from: flagpolespecial(i realise modernage said that aug last year).
you realize modernage isnt even around here anymore?

i actually saw dead man a long time ago and thought it was okay. but i sort of rented it before i knew anything about jarmusch, so maybe i should see it again.

hedwig

i watched the Cannes Q&A panel discussion on the DOWN BY LAW criterion, and i gotta say, EXTREMELY AWKWARD. the people ask terrible questions and Jarmusch refuses to bullshit through them, instead he's just like, "I don't think that's a very good question...."

the extras on this disc are pretty wild.

atticus jones

Quote from: HedwigJarmusch refuses to bullshit through them, instead he's just like, "I don't think that's a very good question...."

which is exactly what i said to him when he asked me what i thought of his latest film...

if you dont have anything nice to say...

encode your verbs and swerve your werds

jammy moosh ease a dump truck of a load and spilt a rump yuck onda road...

shitty of fish els snead two cleans hiss greens

sam and the big chi z
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Garam

No, but i really want to. A Jarmusch film about a Charlie Parker fan can't be bad.

I'm not so sure about Jarmusch as a person, but i love his films. Particularly Mystery Train. I adore that film.