Noah Baumbach

Started by MacGuffin, May 19, 2008, 01:08:10 PM

Pozer

Eisenberg. Baumbach. lol.

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 31, 2011, 04:22:52 PM
The plot follows a Brooklynite twenty-something couple who inspire an older, uptight documentarian and his wife to loosen up; comic mishaps ensue.

haha, so white.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

'The Corrections' Headed To HBO With Noah Baumbach?
Anthony Hopkins & Donald Sutherland Eyeing Lead Role
Source: Playlist

It would seem that for now, Noah Baumbach's mooted next film, "While We're Young" is going on the backburner. With Ben Stiller long attached to the project, the film has seen Greta Gerwig and James Franco come and go, while during the spring, Jesse Eisenberg and Naomi Watts were reported to be in talks. But they don't seem to have panned out either and moreover, it appears that Baumbach himself has turned his attention to a different project that has been kicking around Hollywood for a while now.

Back in 2002, the powerhouse trio of producer Scott Rudin, director Stephen Daldry and screenwriter David Hare teamed up for an adaptation of Jonathan Frazen's celebrated "The Corrections" over at Paramount. Well, the project never materialized, but it appears there is new life. Though he cautions it's "early days," Baz Bamigboye over at the Daily Mail reveals that Baumbach is now adapting the book for an HBO dramatic series—though whether it will be a mini-series like "Mildred Pierce" or new program altogether isn't quite clear.

The book falls somewhere between satire and drama, centering on the dysfunctional Lambert family, chronicling the individual woes of its members in a tale that spans New York, St. Jude, Philadelphia and Vilnius, Lithuania. And it should be no surprise that the National Book Award-winning work has some big talent circling it. Anthony Hopkins and Donald Sutherland are apparently both interested in talking the lead role of Alfred Lambert, the family patriarch who suffers from Parkinson's-induced dementia. It's certainly a meaty role, and with four other family members to be cast as well, this could draw a pretty intriguing ensemble.

But again, this seems to be pretty early and as always, things could shift and change at any moment. But once again, it appears that HBO is providing a harbor for great talent, and we'll be watching to see how this shapes up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'The Corrections' Not Moving Forward at HBO
The premium cable network has opted to pass on the pricey adaptation of Jonathan Franzen's best-seller.
Source: THR

HBO is not moving forward with drama pilot The Corrections.

The premium cable network has opted to pass on the pricey adaptation of Jonathan Franzen's best-seller, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The Noah Baumbach/Scott Rudin project revolved around a Midwestern couple (Chris Cooper and Dianne Weist) and their adult children (Ewan McGregor and Maggie Gyllenhaal) and explored the family's dynamic in a story told from the mid-20th century to the millennium.

Rudin optioned the film rights for Paramount a decade ago before bringing the adaptation of the National Book Award-winning novel to the cable network.

Sources confirm that the decision to not move forward with The Corrections had nothing to do with HBO landing the rights to True Detective, an eight-episode anthology series starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

The Corrections joins fellow drama pilots Da Brick and 40 -- both from Entourage's Doug Ellin -- among the cabler's scrapped projects this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Wow. Maybe it sucked?

Reel

Yeah, this part:

lol

and when the guys clapping about something and he goes "Laughing already demonstrates appreciation. The applause just seems superfluous." and "Just treat the restaurant like it's your living room, guy"  gets me everytime. I hate when I see people doing that. They're just trying to draw attention to themselves, like, "Look at me! I'm having the best time."  I identify with a lot of what Greenberg hates, this movie will never get old to me.

wilder

Noah Baumbach Says 'The Corrections' Is Unlikely To See The Light Of Day, 'While We're Young' Won't Be Next
via The Playlist

HBO might be turning into something of a safe haven for the kind of smart, adult programming that's increasingly rare in theaters, but not everything gets to make the cut. With shows like "True Blood" and "Game Of Thrones" becoming long-running hits, and newcomers like "Girls" and "The Newsroom" getting second season pickups, there's only so much room on the schedule, and it means that even high-profile shows aren't necessarily getting the go-ahead. Perhaps the highest-profile casualty of late has been Noah Baumbach's "The Corrections," an adaptation of the greatly acclaimed novel by Jonathan Franzen, which would have featured a cast including Ewan McGregor, Chris Cooper, Dianne Wiest, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Greta Gerwig, Rhys Ifans and, potentially, LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy.

But HBO ultimately passed on the show, and it seems like any chance of it reemerging at another network, or even at a film festival or something similar, is slim. We spoke to Noah Baumbach about the 17th anniversary screening of his debut "Kicking And Screaming" at BAMCinematek a few weeks ago (more from that interview here), and the director was pretty pessimistic about it seeing the light of day. "I think 'The Corrections' is not going to happen," he told us. "It was never finished. We shot a pilot, but we didn't shoot a whole pilot, even."

As for the prospect of it surfacing at a film festival down the line, Baumbach was pretty definitive: "That won't happen here. [But] I really liked doing it, it was fun to do." It's sad news indeed for a project we were looking forward to immensely, but it's understandable that HBO, and Baumbach, wouldn't want an incomplete piece of work out there.

Baumbach's got plenty of projects on the go, however, with the next up being a producing role alongside his "Life Aquatic" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" co-writer Wes Anderson, on a new film for Peter Bogdanovich, "Squirrel To The Nuts," starring Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzmann, Olivia Wilde and Brie Larson. Baumbach told us, simply, "Wes and I are doing whatever we can to help Peter make his movie." Hopefully financing will firm up for that sooner rather than later, and if it does, lensing will get underway this fall.

As for Baumbach's next film, it seems to be in early stages, with the director saying, "I have some stuff, but I'm not ready to talk about it. Things that I'm excited about. Films [not TV]." One thing it probably won't be is "While We're Young," a project involving an uptight 40-something couple given a new lease on life by their new 20-something Brooklynite friends. The film had an impressive selection of talent circling at various points, including Ben Stiller, James Franco, Greta Gerwig, Cate Blanchett, Naomi Watts and Jesse Eisenberg, but never quite seemed to make it over the start line.

But according to Baumbach, it may never have been that firm a prospect to begin with. "The thing with the internet," the director said, "you can't really do anything... You used to have an idea for something, and for it not to be called your next movie." That said, the film does still seem to be in the cards: "I am going to make 'While We're Young,' but it's not going to be my next movie." Another project that may be revived down the line is "Prep," the helmer's adaptation of Curtis Sittenfield's novel, set at a prestigious East Coast prep school, which has been in the works since 2006. A script's been done for some time, but Baumbach says "I'd like to do 'Prep' too, at some point. I love that book, and I love the script I wrote for it."

wilder

First Look: Greta Gerwig In Noah Baumbach's Secret Black & White Film 'Frances Ha'
via The Playlist

One of the best pleasant surprises of the initial Toronto International Film Festival announcement this morning? The surprise reveal of a new Noah Baumbach film. While Baumbach, the filmmaker behind "The Squid and the Whale," hinted to us in a recent interview that something was up his sleeve, we didn't imagine it was something we'd be seeing so soon.

Titled "Frances Ha," co-written by Baumbach with his girlfriend Greta Gerwig, plus starring Gerwig herself and Mickey Sumner ("Last Chance Harvey"), we've finally received a first look at the under-the-radar picture. And first and foremost, we'll all note that the picture is shot in black and white (this time instead of cinematographer Harris Savides, Baumbach has Sam Levy, of "Wendy and Lucy" fame, shooting the picture). And clearly this is the picture Gerwig was talking about when she hinted a few months ago that she was at work on a "secret" picture.

"[It's] a love story about girls. It's a girl who's in love with her best friend, but not sexually. It's sort of that moment when you realise, 'Oh, so we won't all move in together,' and you're going to move on with your life," Gerwig said adding, "I'm really proud of it. I think it's really good."

A few more details have arrived courtesy of the TIFF website. Here' sthe synopsis: An aspiring dancer (co-writer Greta Gerwig) moves to New York City and becomes caught up in a whirlwind of flighty fair-weather friends, diminishing fortunes and career setbacks, in the new film from director Noah Baumbach ("Margot at the Wedding," "Greenberg").

Scott Rudin, who's worked closely with Baumbach on his last three projects, is a producer along with Baumbach, Lila Yacoub, Rodrigo Teixeira and the picture is a brief 86 minutes long. The picture has no distribution yet, but that's what its TIFF appearance will be all about.

Neil

Let me preface this comment with the fact that i've looked nothing up yet on either film and this is just an initial reaction.

The reaction comes by way of the film, "Murmur of the Heart,"  by Louis Malle.

When I first saw, "Squid and the Whale," I was captivated by it. But, after watching the film by Malle, I wonder if Baumbach was just trying to pay homage to that film, or tell the same story in an American setting.  Because although, i've not seen "squid and the whale," in a while, i remember it being strikingly similar in various plot elements that made me love Baumbach's film in the first place.  Certainly, the film influenced Baumbach, but is there anyone else who notices this, and or has seen those two films recently?  Did you see any similarities?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

Maybe if you post that in The Squid and The Whale thread, we could talk about it.

I haven't seen murmur of the heart though, so I'm outski.

Quote from: wilderesque on July 24, 2012, 09:05:05 PM
Titled "Frances Ha," co-written by Baumbach with his girlfriend Greta Gerwig

That dog! Gerwig's gotta be my latest onscreen crush.

Champion Souza

20 seconds from Frances Ha

Pubrick

that was..  not worth watching.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

everything about that clip just screams laziness. it feels like he have used that joke in every other movie he has made before.

wilder

Noah Baumbach Says 'While We're Young' With Ben Stiller Will Shoot This Fall; Cagey About New Untitled Film He Is Shooting Now
via The Playlist

We recently had the good fortune to speak with filmmaker Noah Baumbach as he starts the long, winding road of press for the upcoming release of his latest film, the sublime black-and-white character piece and uproarious comedy "Frances Ha," starring Greta Gerwig (who also co-wrote the screenplay with Baumbach). During our interview, which we'll post in full closer to the film's release date, "The Squid and the Whale" director, who shot 'Frances' on the quick and quiet (hardly anyone knew it even existed until it premiered at the Telluride Film Festival last year), dished on some of his upcoming projects and it seems he's hitting a prolific stride.

Though he claims he didn't set out to keep 'Frances' a secret, he did mention it was a "bonus" that nothing about it appeared online during the production. Regardless of Baumbach's motives, he seems quite taken with this approach to film-making, as it was near impossible to get even a morsel out of him when asked about his apparent new secretive film, which seems to have recently wrapped production. "I can't say anything about what I'm doing right now," Baumbach said, staying cagey about what he's currently got cooking. But he did let us know he's going to make a new film in the fall.

In development for a while now and having seen James Franco, Cate Blanchett, Jesse Eisenberg and Naomi Watts circle roles, "While We're Young" will still see the participation of long-attached lead, Ben Stiller. "We're still making deals with [other] actors right now," he said about that film. "But soon I can tell you, I can't yet just in case things don't work out." There aren't many details on it just yet, but the comedy will tell the story of a Brooklynite twenty-something couple who inspire an older, uptight documentarian and his wife to loosen up.

"At one point, I thought I was going to make it first and then things didn't come together so I made 'Frances' in the meantime, but it's coming back together in a really great way," Baumbach added about the project

While we did get this little nugget of concrete info from Baumbach regarding "While We're Young," it's still that secretive film that has us abuzz around The Playlist water cooler. One thing's for sure, "Frances Ha" is one of the Baumbach's best films and perhaps sees the filmmaker turning over a slightly different leaf in his cinematic interests, following a lead character who, despite her classic Baumbach-ian stasis in life, is a much more sympathetic, less-prickly person the audience will no doubt enjoy following onscreen. In our review from Telluride last year, we noted that for Baumbach "it marks an exciting new period in the filmmaker's oeuvre and one that will hopefully yield many more collaborations with the endearing and charming Greta Gerwig... The alchemy between them has produced a seriously funny, sad and engaging dramedy and it's one of Baumbach's best efforts to date."

"Frances Ha" opens in limited release May 17th, courtesy of IFC Films.

wilder

Details Revealed About Noah Baumbach's 'Frances Ha' Follow-Up With Greta Gerwig, Also Has Animated Movie In Development
via The Playlist

Even after the quick and quiet production of his Greta Gerwig-starring dramedy "Frances Ha," it's unlikely that director Noah Baumbach is taking on a new, J.J. Abrams level of secrecy to his projects. However, his latest film still does seem to mark a new chapter in the filmmaker's career, with its breezy, optimistic tone and fast-paced approach, and from an early glance at his next film, there are definitely some lingering elements. 
A series of clues last winter alerted us to a possible Baumbach/Gerwig cinematic reteaming on at Barnard College, and while the director has mostly remained cagey about his next collaboration with the actress, a few new details have escaped. In a New Yorker piece on the director, Baumbach briefly mentions his follow-up to "Frances Ha": another New York-set film co-written with Gerwig, and one reportedly much "looser and wonkier" than their previous effort.

The film is without a title thus far (Baumbach dubbed it "Untitled Public School Project" during filming), but the plot is known to follow Gerwig as a "dauntless NY striver." It also stars Lola Kirke -- sister of "Girls" star Jemima Kirke -- as a Barnard undergraduate who aspires to be just like Gerwig's character. Baumbach says the film will be in color (as opposed to the B&W of "Frances Ha"), compares it to both "The Great Gatsby" and Jonathan Demme's "Something Wild," and confirms it's slated for release next year.

Meanwhile, Baumbach has also collaborated with Gerwig on a movie for DreamWorks Animation about "a woeful dog," and that project is currently in development. It wouldn't be Baumbach's first time writing for kids -- he's credited on both "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" -- and it does seem to be a creative avenue he enjoys.

Before then, though, there's still the deft stylings of "Frances Ha" to experience (which we saw at Telluride and loved), hitting theaters May 17th courtesy of IFC Films. And of course, the long-gestating Ben Stiller drama "While We're Young," scheduled to shoot this fall -- just another project that's landed fortuitously in line for Baumbach's ever-increasing output.