dvd sound problem/?

Started by tpfkabi, June 29, 2004, 09:58:43 PM

tpfkabi

i recently bought the Criterion DVD of M. Hulot's Holiday.
when i played it through my DVD Rom, the sound would drop out......and it seemed in certain places.
to make sure, i tried it in my parent's DVD player and it played fine.
does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

what's odd is that my Criterion Mon Oncle plays fine. i thought at first it might have something to do with my computer's ability to play DVDs in mono, but this refutes that.

Deep DVD Discount already agreed to take it back, but i hate to waste their time if it has something to do with my computer.

any help would be appreciated.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

hmmm, that's interesting. i figured that someone here had DVD/computer knowledge enough to at least have some hair brained idea why it might be doing this

the thing that doesn't make sense is that Mon Oncle works fine.......the only difference is that Mon Oncle is from the OOP, original printing.......and M. Hulot's Holiday is from the newer printing......hmmmmmmumumhum

i had a defective copy of Road to Perdition (released by Dreamworks) that messed up a lot worse on my computer.......perhaps my parents' DVD player reads faster, but i don't know if that's a logical explaination.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Recce

Well, I don't have some hair brained idea of why it's doing it, but I've recently discovered, working at blockbuster (sigh), that certain DVDs will not play, or play badly, in certain DVD players. I have a bunch of people coming back saying it won't work well in one DVD player, but fine in others, etc. How fast is your computer and DVD rom drive? Maybe too slow to keep up? Is it set to the right region? I'm just thinking out loud.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Reel

The gravedigger strikes again...

I bought this blu ray player off my friend for $10, but when I hook it up to my TV with an HDMI there's no sound. The audio only works through the RCA cables. Whatever dillhole was using it before me must've turned off the HDMI audio output, and now I can't go into the settings because I'm using a universal remote. So, is there any hope for me getting an HD image with decent sound, or should I just be satisfied with what these RCA's are doing? ( which is not too shabby, I must say )

polkablues

Does it have one of those pinhole buttons on the back to reset it back to factory settings? Otherwise, maybe see if you can order a replacement remote from the manufacturer.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

What is your output device for audio? If you're just playing the sound the tv then RCA cables will do the job fine.

If you have a slightly more sophisticated home theatre system you can hook the audio up separately via optical or coaxial cables.

Tv speakers are really the worst option for audio but if that's all you got don't worry about hdmi not carrying sound. Computer speakers through a 3.5mm jack would be an improvement.
under the paving stones.

Reel

Well, the thing is that no sound works at all when connected by HDMI, even through the RCA. I'm not sure if I could get audio through another device because the HDMI seems to cancel out the signal when it's plugged in. So, I'm sacrificing the 720p image for a 480i one. Pretty annoying since I bought a new cord specifically for this, but considering the price I got it for and that I mostly wanted it to check out some of the special features on my blus, it's no skin off my back.

MacGuffin

Have you checked that the TV is set to HDMI? Usually you have a HDMI menu to switch to when one of the outputs is plugged in.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

built in DVD player makes LOUD HUMMING SOUND like a back massager that is impossible to ignore.

and if I could just step into my time machine while making this into another thread...

My VCR only shows a scrambled, staticky image that tracking does nothing to help.

Neither of them were doing this last night! We did kind of have a storm and they're both out on the porch, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. For now, I'll just take it as a sign from God to stop wasting my time...

jenkins

i've watched my M blu-ray before, but i put it in last night and it's so fucked up. the menu screen is there just fine so the disc loads, but when i play video it jams up until it starts an hour into the movie (crazy obviously). i can bring up the special features screen but that video is skippy too even

does anybody have familiarity with playback problems associated with home media. i've heard about burn on demands discs decaying but does it happen with regular discs too. is it from having owned it over the years, with heat in the summer etc?

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on February 24, 2020, 02:35:47 PM
i've watched my M blu-ray before, but i put it in last night and it's so fucked up. the menu screen is there just fine so the disc loads, but when i play video it jams up until it starts an hour into the movie (crazy obviously). i can bring up the special features screen but that video is skippy too even

does anybody have familiarity with playback problems associated with home media. i've heard about burn on demands discs decaying but does it happen with regular discs too. is it from having owned it over the years, with heat in the summer etc?

QuoteExchanging Defective Discs

We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on seven titles, though not on all copies of those titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

Howards End

M

Monsoon Wedding

Monterey Pop

Paris, Texas

Pierrot le fou

Ride with the Devil

The Seventh Seal

Summer Hours

Walkabout

If you have found that your Blu-ray copy of one of these titles does not play, please send your disc to the following address for a replacement:

Jon Mulvaney
The Criterion Collection
215 Park Avenue South
5th floor
New York, NY 10003

Please include only your disc—no packaging—along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging. There is no need to email us in addition.

If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to this list and continue to replace them as well.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

-M (2010, first printing)
-Monsoon Wedding (2009, first printing)
-Paris, Texas (2009, first printing)
-Summer Hours (2010, first printing)
-Walkabout (2010, first printing)

jenkins

oh wow i kind of thought that was just always be mysterious to me but then you totally nailed it xx