I don't like myself sometimes..

Started by aclockworkjj, May 18, 2003, 02:41:44 AM

Redlum

Exactly. Like when he's on the phone to his sister in Hawaii and telling her that she's killing him. That was both funny, sad and triumphant at the same time.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

neatahwanta

The people who laughed during that scene enjoyed the movie...the rest either quietly enjoyed the movie, or hated it.  Its just like when the frog gives its little grunt noise just before it crashes through Jimmy Gator's sunroof window.....I always laugh at that.

Laugh when you want to  :lol: ....cry when you want to.  :cry:

godardian

Quote from: neatahwantaThe people who laughed during that scene enjoyed the movie...the rest either quietly enjoyed the movie, or hated it.  Its just like when the frog gives its little grunt noise just before it crashes through Jimmy Gator's sunroof window.....I always laugh at that.

Laugh when you want to  :lol: ....cry when you want to.  :cry:

I really do agree with that in spirit, but... when you're weeping over something someone two rows back is having a hearty laugh at, it's harder than when it's the other way around, don't you think?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MrBurgerKing

Are we all on the same note emotionally, is that why we relate to these PTA characters?

Perhaps its the same reason why if you go into a McDonalds its' filled with trailer trash.

neatahwanta

Quote from: godardianI really do agree with that in spirit, but... when you're weeping over something someone two rows back is having a hearty laugh at, it's harder than when it's the other way around, don't you think?

Hell, I laughed through much of Schindler's List, so you'll have to ask someone else that question.  :?

neatahwanta

Quote from: MrBurgerKingPerhaps its the same reason why if you go into a McDonalds its' filled with trailer trash.

Good point.

godardian

Quote from: neatahwanta

Hell, I laughed through much of Schindler's List, so you'll have to ask someone else that question.  :?

Oh, so did I, but... that's a very false movie about the Holocaust (not like Last Days, which was Spielberg's much more relevant contribution to the subject and which did move me to tears at times), whereas I thought PDL struck some very intimate emotional notes that I just wouldn't laugh at.

But... these things are very subjective, laughing/crying. When it comes down it, they're both versions of the exact same thing. So the theory goes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

And I meant emotionally false, by the way... don't wanna get into a big can of worms about the veracity of Schindler's List.

Victor

Quote from: MrBurgerKingAre we all on the same note emotionally, is that why we relate to these PTA characters?

Perhaps its the same reason why if you go into a McDonalds its' filled with trailer trash.

mcdonalds is Petey A's favorite restaurant.
are you gonna eat with us too?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardianAnd I meant emotionally false, by the way... don't wanna get into a big can of worms about the veracity of Schindler's List.

this i have to hear , please tell us your views on this ??

godardian

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
Quote from: godardianAnd I meant emotionally false, by the way... don't wanna get into a big can of worms about the veracity of Schindler's List.

Spielberg is generally a much too sentimental director for me, and I found Schindler's List made me laugh like a Seinfeld character. It had nothing to do with the material. The material itself is not, I don't think, false in any way. It's just been interpreted in a way that felt false to me, enough so to make me laugh.

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: Lester
Quote from: MrBurgerKingAre we all on the same note emotionally, is that why we relate to these PTA characters?

mcdonalds is Petey A's favorite restaurant.

At the risk of getting off topic, I'll copy and paste the response I made in another thread when I heard about PTA's love for McDonalds:

"but you've got to be kidding me! McDonalds? How could anyone lower their standards by that much and eat there? I want to be the downfall of McDonalds. I want them to taste unemployment. I want them to taste fire. I want McDonalds to burn at the stake. I want them to taste a whopper and shoot their faces in. I want McDonalds out of my life, out of my existence. It is not a food place, it is a fat place. Understand? How could anyone lower their existence and order a big mac? How could anyone knock years off their life biting that "burger" and I stress the (")'s. True story, I once dated a real fat woman who ate at McDonalds. I dated her out of pity though, but I eventually made her choose between me and the Big Mac. Yep, I'm single."

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

Spielberg is generally a much too sentimental director for me, and I found Schindler's List made me laugh like a Seinfeld character. It had nothing to do with the material. The material itself is not, I don't think, false in any way. It's just been interpreted in a way that felt false to me, enough so to make me laugh like a Seinfeld character.

so really he made what went down warm and cuddily ?

who was kramer ralph fienes ?

bonanzataz

oh these bj initiated fights with godardian never get old...

(note the sarcasm)

anyway, the scene where he says he's going to fucking kill his sister, i'm in the audience with lincoln center film snobs laughing my ass off and they're all completely silent. i wasn't sure if i was supposed to laugh or not, it made me feel uncomfortable. i can't wait to get the dvd so i can laugh on my own without feeling like an asshole.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

yeah i am kind of of sick of them, but i somehow feel i am doing this for the better of film lovers

but if i lose you as a backer well then i might not have any administraters on my side