Superman & Batman

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2013, 04:07:46 PM

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2013: 'Superman & Batman' movie will follow 'Man of Steel'
Source: LA Times

Warner Bros. is about to bring together two of its most iconic heroes: Superman and Batman will unite in a new film, the follow-up to "Man of Steel," set for release in 2015.

According to two sources with knowledge of the movie, Warner Bros. intends to announce the news at its Comic-Con International panel Saturday morning. Said a Warner Bros. spokesperson, "We don't comment on rumors regarding these properties."

"Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder is expected to reunite with screenwriter David S. Goyer and star Henry Cavill for the new film. It's unlikely Christian Bale will step back into the bat suit, as the actor has indicated publicly that he has moved on from his days as Bruce Wayne.

"Man of Steel" producer and "Dark Knight" trilogy director Christopher Nolan is expected by some to produce the project, but the exact nature of his involvement is unclear.

The move marks the culmination of years of effort on the part of Warner Bros. and DC Comics to bring their superheroes together in a similar fashion to their primary competitor Marvel, which successfully combined its superheroes into a $1.5-billion box-office hit with "The Avengers."

In the comic world, the two heroes are teaming up in a new series, "Batman/Superman," by writer Greg Pak and artist Jae Lee.

UPDATE:

Director Zack Snyder Unites Superman and Batman in One Explosive New Film

BURBANK, CA, July 20, 2013 – On the heels of the worldwide success of "Man of Steel," director Zack Snyder is bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen.

The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution,Warner Bros. Pictures. The current hit, "Man of Steel," has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcomingfilm brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date inSummer 2015.

Silverman stated, "Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he's a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way." Kroll added, "We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of 'Man of Steel' is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us." Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted,"Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DCEntertainment could not be more excited for Zack's continuing vision for the DC Universe." Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, "I'm so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can't wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let's face it, it's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world." The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan. Thomas offered, "Whilst our 'Dark Knight' trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack's fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can't wait to see what Zack does with these characters." The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

As I said on Twitter... Now I know what Marvel nerds feel like. Issues with MAN OF STEEL aside, I am jumping out of my skin right now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I would be super excited if I didn't get extremely disappointed with how Man of Steel turned out. I have no faith in Zack Snyder.

MacGuffin

Ben Affleck Is the New Batman
Source: Variety

Ben Affleck is Batman.

The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Superman-Batman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

"Man of Steel" actors Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane are reprising their roles with Zack Snyder on board to direct.

The film is slated to bow on July 17, 2015.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Am I the only one who's fine with this?
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Nope.  No matter how successful Affleck is, dude can't catch a break (from the peanut gallery, that is).  Get off his nuts, give him a chance.

Alexandro

who has ever given a "bad" batman performance in any of these fucking movies?
clooney is arguably the weakest batman and he was ok.
batman can be played by anyone. come on, it's not fucking hamlet. it's not michael corleone.
the problem is not who plays batman but who directs the film. and with this guy, everything is fucked.
this movie will suck, no matter what. game over. let's move on.

polkablues

Quote from: Alexandro on August 23, 2013, 01:23:07 AM
who has ever given a "bad" batman performance in any of these fucking movies?

It's weird to say because the movies were so good, but Christian Bale, kinda.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Whatever happens, I want there to be more of this.

modage

Quote from: ono on August 23, 2013, 12:10:33 AM
Nope.  No matter how successful Affleck is, dude can't catch a break (from the peanut gallery, that is).  Get off his nuts, give him a chance.
He seems like a nice dude and I'm glad he's restored his career but he's always been an actor with an extremely limited range. He works best when he's playing something low-key, directing himself, etc. When you put him in a genre piece or giant studio thing or behind a mask, he just can't really pull it off.

A. I think someone as huge as him brings too much baggage to the role that you'll never believe him as Batman. (Same thing for Clooney.)
B. I don't think he can pull it off. Unless he's been hiding his acting chops for the last 15 years, he's never given a performance that leads me to believe he can pull off 'dark.'

and C. It's crazy to me that after everything Affleck went through to restore his career, he's immediately going back to what killed it in the  first place.

I still hope he can pull it off but Snyder was already starting down a peg from the issues of "Man Of Steel." I was hoping naively that he and Goyer might be able to course correct with the second one but having a harder time thinking this might be the case now that he's hobbled with Affleck too.

squints

This affleck news doesn't bother me as much as it seems to be bothering a lot of folks.

I was actually kind of excited until i realized that Zack Snyder will be directing this too.

I just can't fucking stand this guy

I haven't liked a single one of his movies (in fact I've hated most of them) and there is NO WAY this will be good with him directing. Just no fucking way.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

©brad

Quote from: modage on August 23, 2013, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: ono on August 23, 2013, 12:10:33 AM
He seems like a nice dude and I'm glad he's restored his career but he's always been an actor with an extremely limited range. He works best when he's playing something low-key, directing himself, etc. When you put him in a genre piece or giant studio thing or behind a mask, he just can't really pull it off.

A. I think someone as huge as him brings too much baggage to the role that you'll never believe him as Batman. (Same thing for Clooney.)
B. I don't think he can pull it off. Unless he's been hiding his acting chops for the last 15 years, he's never given a performance that leads me to believe he can pull off 'dark.'

and C. It's crazy to me that after everything Affleck went through to restore his career, he's immediately going back to what killed it in the  first place.

I still hope he can pull it off but Snyder was already starting down a peg from the issues of "Man Of Steel." I was hoping naively that he and Goyer might be able to course correct with the second one but having a harder time thinking this might be the case now that he's hobbled with Affleck too.

Agree with this. Actually to me Affleck is a character actor trapped in a leading man's body. His best stuff is when he plays smaller, more off-the-wall roles.

The internet's furious reaction to this is really depressing. It's just a superhero movie. Who cares.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.