Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Alethia

about to start it, thank you

Thrindle

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genuis by Dave Eggers

So far, fucking brilliant.
Classic.

Pubrick

Quote from: ThrindleSo far, fucking brilliant.
still on the first hundred pages i see..
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

Includes:
Ivanov
The Seagull
Uncle Vanya
Three Sisters
The Cherry Orchard
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Just Withnail

Quote from: ranemaka13The Seagull

Quote from: Withnail & IBastard asked me to understudy Constantine in The Seagull. I'm not going to understudy anyone, especially that little pimp. Anyway, I loath those Russian plays. Always full of women starring out of windows whining about ducks going to Moscow.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Little Monsters by Palahniuk.

I am addicted to his writing style.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobLittle Monsters by Palahniuk.

Invisible Monsters. Chuck had nothing to do with the Howie Mandel film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: ...& I
Quote from: ranemaka13The Seagull

Quote from: Withnail & IBastard asked me to understudy Constantine in The Seagull. I'm not going to understudy anyone, especially that little pimp. Anyway, I loath those Russian plays. Always full of women starring out of windows whining about ducks going to Moscow.
:lol:
I bought it mainly for Ivanov. I saw a show on Ovation about the English production w/Ralph Feinnes performing in Russia. I liked what I saw, and it's extremely easy for me to obsess over something with the smallest amount of information about it.
For instance:
chamber dramas (or anything similar) =  :yabbse-thumbup:
Ralph Feinnes = :yabbse-thumbup:
Chekhov is Russian, hey! So is Tarkovsky! = :yabbse-thumbup:

It's sad, I know. :?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cyk

sorry but i'm a fantasy reader....(and clive barker)

right this moment i'm reading
David Eddings "the ruby knight"

it's good but not THAT good....

the book that became my new bible was
Clive Barkers "Imajica"
it works on every level for me.
"The Wisdom Of Cyk"

"If your up to your chin in shit.........Don't make waves!"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobLittle Monsters by Palahniuk.

Invisible Monsters. Chuck had nothing to do with the Howie Mandel film.

Talk about being zoned out, I hardly remember even posting that.

I mean I am reading Invisible Monsters, but man what was going on...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Gloria

Emily Dickinson - Selected Poems

I'm catching up on some quailty poetry.  My favorite so far:

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me, -
The simple news that Nature told
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

Ravi

Yesterday I bought Vanity Fair, Candide, and The History of Farting.

bonanzataz

i finished this:
Perfume
Patrick Suskind

and am halfway done with this:
Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim
David Sedaris

Perfume was so bizarrely fucked up. It started off slow but really (and I mean really) picked up in the end. I enjoyed it, I have to say.

I love Sedaris. Some compare him to Dave Eggers, but I think Sedaris is much better. I don't feel like he's talking down to me like I sometimes feel with eggers. after this one, I have to read the iliad for school. that might prove to be a chore.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Thrindle

Quote from: bonanzatazI don't feel like he's talking down to me like I sometimes feel with eggers.

I'm still reading reading AHWOSG by Eggers (I have a bad habit of putting of "finishing" books half-way through) and I know what you mean about him.  He can get a little preachy.
Classic.