What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Gloria

Quote from: ThrindleAWESOME BOOK!  Makes the movie suck a big dirty pipe though, I'll tell you that.

I actually liked the movie (especially the performances) but, you're right, the book is far superior. I think the movie tried way too hard to be PG-13 when the book obviously isn't.  Lost a lot of depth that way.

Chest Rockwell

Currently Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller.

NEXT: Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

classical gas

just started Candide.  

it's in this book anthology of world masterpieces or something.  so, i'm not sure if it's just an excerpt.  is it really that short?  less than a hundred pages?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI read that a while ago, and am about to start on another one of his books "The Wanting Seed."  Anyone read that?
Yes! I love that book. I'll always wonder why there isn't a movie of it already, some of it is in tune with issues of today, in a way.

I just bought 'Stanley Kubrick, Director: A Visual Analysis' today. Haven't gotten too far into it yet, but it gives some amazing insight into Kubrick and how he worked (to me, anway) and I already love it. I could just be jumping to conclusions though.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gloria

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

A Matter Of Chance

Summer Reading Time:

On The Road - Kerouac
The Grapes Of Wrath - Stienbeck (required)
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Angelou (required)
Satanic Verses -Rushdie
Shockproof Sydney Skate - Meaker

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

FeloniousFunk

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: classical gasjust started Candide.  

it's in this book anthology of world masterpieces or something.  so, i'm not sure if it's just an excerpt.  is it really that short?  less than a hundred pages?
It's pretty damn short. About 100 pages sounds about right.

xerxes

i just started the wind-up bird chronicle after finishing sputnik sweetheart.  murakami is quite an interesting writer.

for petes sake

crossed off the summer reading list:

Candide
The Magnificent Ambersons
Lolita
The Da Vinci Code
The Night of the Iguana
Sweet Bird of Youth
The Rose Tatoo

Currently reading: Pi, the script and Darren's "guerilla journal entries"

rustinglass

I just started reading The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumb-ass.
It's going to take me a while this fucker, two volumes, 760 pages each. but it's good so far.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

coffeebeetle

Choke by Palahniuk

Savoring every fucking page of this one.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: coffeebeetleChoke by Palahniuk

Savoring every fucking page of this one.

Good pick!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye