Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

wilberfan

Have we paid any notice to the "Punch-Drunk Love as a Retelling of the Superman origin story" notions?   A twitter thread I became aware of today:

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1097296656758824960

[edit]  A fan theory that's apparently at least 5 years old:   
from r/FanTheories

[edit]  I guess the original expression of this fan theory was about 7 years ago:  https://youtu.be/2untlg3bFmk

WorldForgot

Great thread --
Something I've yet to see mentioned, and it ties into the UFO light flash + Paul mentioning the film has shades of sci-fii: Harmoniums, as well as being musical instrumentz (featured in Junun, too!), are a species in the caves of Mercury

Alethia

https://coolidge.org/events/seminar-punch-drunk-love

Seminar: Punch-Drunk Love

Bright Wall Dark Room senior editor Ethan Warren leads this virtual seminar on Paul Thomas Anderson's individualistic and unnerving romantic comedy. April 29!

wilberfan

kingfan011

Hi guys i don't remember if we have a Punch Drunk Love thread so I thought I would just put this here. Its an interview with the owner of the Punch Drunk Love location and the film's location manager. Fascinating stuff. I always knew that shooting was loose and sort of wherever we go as he does now but hearing some of the stories is fascinating.

https://soundcloud.com/onlocationpodcast/ep-17-larry-ring-punch-drunk-love

Sorry dont know how to make this clickable

Alethia

I only just realized that the restaurant where Barry and Lena have their first date and Barry beats up the bathroom is only a short walk from my apartment, on Lankershim in North Hollywood. So, that's fun. Formerly Le Petit Chateau, now Le Petit Comedy Club.

wilberfan

Reel

Quote from: eward on April 19, 2021, 12:22:06 AM
I only just realized that the restaurant where Barry and Lena have their first date and Barry beats up the bathroom is only a short walk from my apartment, on Lankershim in North Hollywood. So, that's fun. Formerly Le Petit Chateau, now Le Petit Comedy Club.

Go take a giant shit in there and you can say you blew it up "figuratively"

Alethia

Wish I could now. Last few days, a lot has changed. Newest roommate turned out to be a total asshole who essentially took the place over and is now running a fucking start-up real estate company out of the common area - had zero respect for our privacy, threw big maskless parties throughout which total strangers would use my private bathroom despite my politely asking them not to and putting a sign on the door (he later aggressively argued with me about it, insisting it was no longer just mine to use, despite those being the terms when I moved in), was a total slob, booze and drugs all over (I'm sober and he knows it), had his "boys" squatting there from day one, constantly blasted his insufferable music morning/noon/night, on and on. Myself and another roommate backed out of the lease and moved out within a day of each other this week. Now that the landlord is wise to it, she has been very apologetic and is going to redraft the lease, releasing us and making him solely financially responsible for the sudden vacancies. (I even sent her a check for May rent figuring it was the right thing to do, and she's insisting on sending it back to me.) The guy didn't even pay a deposit. The apartment was so peaceful and lovely until he showed up. Now it's Bro Central. Hopefully he gets evicted soon. He doesn't deserve that place.

I'm spending the summer in NY and returning to LA in the fall. Sorry for the long post, it's been a huge bummer whirlwind.

But yes, totally should have taken a giant shit in Le Petit Chateau. Missed opportunity. Maybe next time.

Edit: not the appropriate thread for this rant, obviously. I'll move it soon.

wilberfan

Jesus, Dude.  That's seriously fucked-up.  Sorry you had to go thru that.  Glad you managed to extricate.   Big thumbs-up to your (ex-) landlord...   :yabbse-thumbup:

The Valley will miss you (theoretically).  Hope you're back by mid-November!

Alethia

I'll be back by September, at the latest. Clean slate, some money saved. Definitely gonna get my own place lol

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on April 28, 2021, 11:11:41 AM

I don't know, maybe it IS an appropriate place.  Valley anger seems like a perfect fit with P-DL...

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on April 28, 2021, 11:25:50 AM
Quote from: eward on April 28, 2021, 11:11:41 AM

I don't know, maybe it IS an appropriate place.  Valley anger seems like a perfect fit with P-DL...

Haha, for real.
Sorry to hear, e. You've got my phone number, keep in touch ~

Rooty Poots

Damn. Sorry you went through that, eward. On the bright side, it sounds like you had one of the rare Actually Good Landlords.

Enjoy NY, man.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco